Denon AH-D7000
Aug 23, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #5,506 of 7,457
Quote:

Thanks for the link. I haven't laughed so hard all week!

I have listened to and tested 6 different solid state headamps with a variety of specifications with my D7000's and heard absolutely no difference between them. From a Peachtree Nova with 30 ohm output impedance to the Violectric V200 with less than 1 ohm output impedance. Also tested were the Schiit Asgard, Objective2, Violectric V90, and the headphone jack of a vintage 80's integrated receiver of unknown output impedance.

The Denons are simply outstanding headphones that are seemingly immune to "impedance mismatch" frequency response shifts.

typically, I'm unable to pick up subtle differences from amp to amp, or from cables and the like..... but I did notice a big difference with my amps and the D7000's.
connected to my FiiO E9i, the bass was flabby and a bit boomy. From my Little Dot I+ (hybrid amp), the bass is much tighter and more enjoyable.
for a discount tube (hybrid) amp, the LD I+ makes the D7000's sound wonderful.

Aug 23, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #5,507 of 7,457
typically, I'm unable to pick up subtle differences from amp to amp, or from cables and the like..... but I did notice a big difference with my amps and the D7000's.
connected to my FiiO E9i, the bass was flabby and a bit boomy. From my Little Dot I+ (hybrid amp), the bass is much tighter and more enjoyable.
for a discount tube (hybrid) amp, the LD I+ makes the D7000's sound wonderful.

Hey, tube amps don't count. They have so much distortion that their results with any particular system are unpredictable and extremely subjective. I once sampled a pair of HD600's with a Jolida tube amp and it rendered them unrecognizable (notice I didn't say unpleasant - they were actually quite lively and fun sounding).

There are so many factors that affect the sound that comes out of your headphones, and amplifier output impedance is simply the "buzzword of the month." I do agree with you that the differences between most solid state amps with most headphones will be negligible to imperceptible.

I also believe that chasing the elusive "synergy" (a very personal thing) isn't worth the time and expense. Unless, of course, you simply enjoy collecting amps and headphones as a pastime.

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #5,508 of 7,457
I picked up my set of these today. I have been listening to them all evening long. So far I am very impressed with the sound, comfort, and the finish on these things WOW! 

My only regret so far is, that I didnt buy a pair sooner. 
biggrin.gif

As I mentioned before I still need a proper amp for them. After seeing Bee inthe Attic's post above about how he likes his with the LD I+ that might be the route I go too. I have been more than pleased with my LD MKII. 

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #5,510 of 7,457
I don't surf this forum much (just more or less keep track of a few threads) but I just saw the replacement to our D7000 the D7100...wow ugly lol.

The D7000 looks elegant (and has a cooler numbering scheme IMO).  Anyways, for those who haven't seen them...

Aug 24, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #5,512 of 7,457
I don't surf this forum much (just more or less keep track of a few threads) but I just saw the replacement to our D7000 the D7100...wow ugly lol.

The D7000 looks elegant (and has a cooler numbering scheme IMO).  Anyways, for those who haven't seen them...

Its all opinion.

I would love to hear them.

Aug 24, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #5,513 of 7,457
Quote:
Its all opinion.
I would love to hear them.

agreed...plus because "people will pay" it's starting to get silly what the pricing is coming to for some of these higher end cans.  I don't know about you guys, but I certainly didn't even remotely play close to MSRP for my Denon's when I purchased them.

Aug 24, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #5,514 of 7,457
Quote:
As I mentioned before I still need a proper amp for them. After seeing Bee inthe Attic's post above about how he likes his with the LD I+ that might be the route I go too. I have been more than pleased with my LD MKII. 

IMO hybrid amps are the way to go for D7000s. I once owned a Meier Concerto (popular and recommended solid state) for the Denons, and it sounded somewhat dry and boring. I love my HIFiMan EF5 (hybrid) with it now. Warm, lush and lively!

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #5,515 of 7,457
The moment you start finding the bass in the Denon 7k's overwhelming, you'll come over to the ORTHO side.  MUAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA.  *ahem* 

I guarantee it!
100% money back GUARANTEE.
Scouts honor.
bes beelee' dat

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #5,516 of 7,457
Quote:
The moment you start finding the bass in the Denon 7k's overwhelming, you'll come over to the ORTHO side.  MUAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA.  *ahem*

while the 7k's are still my fav headphone, they are no longer my go-to / all-rounder can due to their overwhelming bass (the Senn HD 600's have taken over). i'm listening to the 7k's less and less, but with the music/movies I do use them for, they are remarkable.

ok, i'll bite.... what ortho should I try? I already have too many headphones, but I might be able to rationalize one more purchase for a few hundred bucks.

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #5,517 of 7,457
Quote:
while the 7k's are still my fav headphone, they are no longer my go-to / all-rounder can due to their overwhelming bass (the Senn HD 600's have taken over). i'm listening to the 7k's less and less, but with the music/movies I do use them for, they are remarkable.

ok, i'll bite.... what ortho should I try? I already have too many headphones, but I might be able to rationalize one more purchase for a few hundred bucks.

Are you truly ready to head down this path? 
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #5,518 of 7,457
You may not want to come back to dynamics ever again. 
ph34r.gif

Quote:

Are you truly ready to head down this path? 
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

edit: fixed spacing

Aug 25, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #5,519 of 7,457
Quote:

Start with HiFiMAN HE-400 they are steal for $399

Users who are viewing this thread

Back