Denon AH-D7000
Feb 22, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #5,056 of 7,457

Quote:
he was answering my question

if d7000 is gonna be up again ill prolly go d7000 over the ed8s just becus its so affortable on that deal
how would guys compare good closed headphones like d7000 and ed8 to
iem's like er4s or used jh16pro
i want somewhat good sound quality headphones but i dont want people around me to know what music im listening to

prolly getz erself some beetz becus its so dope

Feb 22, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #5,057 of 7,457
I have read the JH13 pros sound similar to the D7000s.  A year and a few months ago, DavidMahler spoke very highly of the ED8's in a 20 headphone impression post he did.  They're better for portable use and have better isolation.  I personally wouldn't carry them around on any regular basis, but to each his own.

Feb 23, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #5,059 of 7,457
Take a look at how the pad attaches first.
You will need to turn the pad counter-clockwise as you can see from this photo.

If you try to grab the pad and turn, it will just turn forever because there is a plastic ring (red arrow) with the studs inside the leather pad, and only the pad will turn around the ring.

What you have to do is to lift (or separate) the plastic ring away from the body a bit, grab the ring firmly then turn the ring counter-clockwise. You can also try pressing down on the ring while turning instead of lifting but that's a bit harder to do.

To put it back, put the studs in the notches, press the entire pads firm then turn clockwise making sure it's not just the pad that's turning.

Feb 23, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #5,060 of 7,457
Is there anyway to tighten the adjusting mechanism if one side becomes looser than the other? I found that on the right side before the first notch it doesn't seem to lock in place anymore and it seems to slowly slide down when on my head after use compared to the left side where it stays firmly locked in place. Thanks in advance!

Feb 23, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #5,062 of 7,457

Quote:
Is there anyway to tighten the adjusting mechanism if one side becomes looser than the other? I found that on the right side before the first notch it doesn't seem to lock in place anymore and it seems to slowly slide down when on my head after use compared to the left side where it stays firmly locked in place. Thanks in advance!

Make sure all 4 studs are in the notch and clicked into place. Sometimes, I find them not be clicked in even though I rotate the pad firmly. If the pad doesn't click in, it will slide back out.

Feb 23, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #5,065 of 7,457
Last night, I modified the stock pads by adding a ring of foam to the edges. Bass is a little more refined (I don't know if I like this part yet) and the soundstaging is really improved. Very interesting.

Feb 23, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #5,067 of 7,457

Quote:
Last night, I modified the stock pads by adding a ring of foam to the edges. Bass is a little more refined (I don't know if I like this part yet) and the soundstaging is really improved. Very interesting.

Yep, so simple yet the effect is astounding when it comes to sound stage!

Feb 23, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #5,068 of 7,457

Quote:
Yep, so simple yet the effect is astounding when it comes to sound stage!

Definitely!

I like the feel of the stock pads to Jmoney pads. I also thought the Jmoney pads put the sound stage too far out.  I felt that adding this quarter inch of padding was just perfect in terms of sound stage. Everything started lining up just right! very easy mod, just to try even. I added 3/8" of foam under each pad. The whole sheet cost me a buck at michaels. I also like the bulkier look that the headphones have now :)

I've already made plans to at least experiment with a few other pairs of headphones I have.

Feb 23, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #5,069 of 7,457

Quote:
Definitely!

I like the feel of the stock pads to Jmoney pads. I also thought the Jmoney pads put the sound stage too far out.  I felt that adding this quarter inch of padding was just perfect in terms of sound stage. Everything started lining up just right! very easy mod, just to try even. I added 3/8" of foam under each pad. The whole sheet cost me a buck at michaels. I also like the bulkier look that the headphones have now :)

I've already made plans to at least experiment with a few other pairs of headphones I have.

This is interesting. Did you take pix during your operation showing what the foam looks like; placement of it and so on? Thanks.

Feb 23, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #5,070 of 7,457

Quote:
This is interesting. Did you take pix during your operation showing what the foam looks like; placement of it and so on? Thanks.

Here's something I posted a while ago.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/558782/denon-d7000-stock-pad-mod

Users who are viewing this thread

Back