Denon AH-D7000
Aug 2, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #4,591 of 7,457
if you go for the Titanium HD, plug it into an amp since it doesnt have an internal amp for headphones like the STX, i dont see this as a downside, its actually a plus :3 (unless it affects imaging)

I dont suggest going for anything cheaper really, remember, you get what you pay for (unless you buy some skull candy product)

Aug 2, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #4,592 of 7,457

Quote:
would it be possible to find the performance of the titanium hd for gaming for cheaper? i know the titanium hd advertises itself as an audiophile card which means it tries to be an end all solution for music, movies and games. since I only want something that will give me great gaming performance, and nothing else, would I even need to consider the titanium hd at all?

Like I wrote on my previous post, you can get similar gaming performance on the Auzentech X-Fi Forte and Creative X-Fi Titanium, each being cheaper than the previous, but still maintaining all gaming features. The X-Fi Titanium can be had for $50, or lower through rebate, so look around.

Bottomline is, if you want to game, you need to get a X-Fi powered card.

Aug 2, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #4,593 of 7,457

Quote:
Like I wrote on my previous post, you can get similar gaming performance on the Auzentech X-Fi Forte and Creative X-Fi Titanium, each being cheaper than the previous, but still maintaining all gaming features. The X-Fi Titanium can be had for $50, or lower through rebate, so look around.

Bottomline is, if you want to game, you need to get a X-Fi powered card.

woops, read your post rather quickly and skimmed that. my bad haha.

Aug 2, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #4,594 of 7,457

YES! Im finally able to say that Im in audio heaven// After numerous headphones and research I have found my ideal headphone D7000s.

PC > Xonar Essence STX > Rega Dac > Lehmann audio BCL > Denon D7000 brought a BIG smile to my face instead of a WOW that I got with some other headphones.

The smile was the most important factor as it was like I have found the sound that Ive been longing for all this time, where as a wow was with some headphones that did
 some specific things really well and standed out in that regard.

Anyway it is time to enjoy the music though Im still gunning for that ever popular LCD2s....

Aug 2, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #4,596 of 7,457
@ bcstyle.
Congrats. I understand fully. The files I have put through the STX > DAC1-Pre > D7000 has me smiling a lot!
Last night I put on a track from a new CD (Chick Corea - Forever, Senor Mouse, live) and i just started nodding my head with the music, and a huge smile was on my face as well. Makes it all worth while.

Aug 3, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #4,598 of 7,457

Quote:

YES! Im finally able to say that Im in audio heaven// After numerous headphones and research I have found my ideal headphone D7000s.

PC > Xonar Essence STX > Rega Dac > Lehmann audio BCL > Denon D7000 brought a BIG smile to my face instead of a WOW that I got with some other headphones.

The smile was the most important factor as it was like I have found the sound that Ive been longing for all this time, where as a wow was with some headphones that did
 some specific things really well and standed out in that regard.

Anyway it is time to enjoy the music though Im still gunning for that ever popular LCD2s....

i personally like the lcd's a lot better than the d7000s.  I look at them as the d9000s.  Except d7000s are way more comfortable.

Aug 3, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #4,600 of 7,457

Quote:
i personally like the lcd's a lot better than the d7000s.  I look at them as the d9000s.  Except d7000s are way more comfortable.

And have more highs.  
smile.gif

Aug 3, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #4,601 of 7,457
I don't know what everyone's deal is with the LCD-2.  I've listened to them more than once for a long period of time and found the Denon-AHD7000 to be a more enjoyable headphone.  Plus the appearance and comfort factor easily tilt it towards the Denon. 

If I want a more "technically accurate" sound I'll just slap on my HD600.

Quote:

Aug 3, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #4,602 of 7,457

Quote:
I don't know what everyone's deal is with the LCD-2.  I've listened to them more than once for a long period of time and found the Denon-AHD7000 to be a more enjoyable headphone.  Plus the appearance and comfort factor easily tilt it towards the Denon. 

If I want a more "technically accurate" sound I'll just slap on my HD600.

I preferred the D7000 also. The LCD 2 is dull compared to the rocking D7000.

Aug 3, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #4,604 of 7,457
I don't view the LCD 2's as like a D9000, because the midrange and treble are so greatly different from one another.

I find the E7 good for a $80-$100 dac, but nothing special. It's slightly on the warm side which I don't really like with the denons, I like them to stay aggressive as they should. When I changed my dac from an E7 to a MSII+ it was one of most significant differences I heard in head fi so far, except for when I first listened to the LCD 2's. From that point on I quickly learned how important a decent dac is in the audio chain.

Aug 3, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #4,605 of 7,457
I'm still loving my newly acquired AH-D7000's. The happiest I've been with a new pair of headphones since the Grado HP1000 in the 1990's.

The general consensus seems to be that the Denon's are good with most amps. But I'm wondering if there is a general opinion as to what the ideal pairing is? Solid state, it seems. But within that, what is especially excellent?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back