Denon AH-D7000
Jul 2, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #4,411 of 7,457

Quote:

woah.... 599 for refurbished?... poor guys the one that get them at that price...

Actually... if they are waranteed, and otherwise as good as brand new... it's a very good price.

Jul 2, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #4,414 of 7,457
 I really can't make up my mind between the only three top tier headphones within my price range(although it will take a while :frowning2:   )  LCD-2, he-500, denon d7000.  If i buy the d7000 from dakmart i will be saving enough to buy an alright amp.  I don't mind saving more to get a good amp for the other two but it will take a little longer.  My biggest fear is that i will be overly curious about the HE-500 and lcd-2.  On another note, i am fearing that the other two won't be able to give me the same kind of bass as the d7000.  I also know that i really like the sound presentation of a closed back. Although i am not a big fan of the pressure they push into your ears(hurts a little), i think the pressure also makes the music feel more of a demanding presentation. 

Jul 2, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #4,416 of 7,457
LCD2 ($950)) + Lyr Schmit. ($450)

Everything + Bass will be better than the D7000.

(I have only owned the D7000, but from the LCD2 impressions thread, they are better with a powerful amp.)

The only reason I have not purchased the LCD2 is because I need a quite headphone, LCD2 are an open design and very noisy (oh and the money, lol)

http://schiit.com/products/lyr/

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/545805/schiit-audio-lyr-my-first-impressions/30

Jul 3, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #4,417 of 7,457

Quote:
LCD2 ($950)) + Lyr Schmit. ($450)

Everything + Bass will be better than the D7000.

(I have only owned the D7000, but from the LCD2 impressions thread, they are better with a powerful amp.)

The only reason I have not purchased the LCD2 is because I need a quite headphone, LCD2 are an open design and very noisy (oh and the money, lol)

http://schiit.com/products/lyr/

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/545805/schiit-audio-lyr-my-first-impressions/30

Better is so subjective plus it's very interesting how you say the LCD-2 are better in everything than the D7000 when you haven't even owned it yet .  I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you at least heard the LCD-2 though so your statement doesn't sound as bad
o2smile.gif

Jul 3, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #4,418 of 7,457
Yeah i've read a lot about the Lyr.  I am in a bit of a financial situation right now with the new baby because of complications but when i am back to being able to save i might just get something cheap and then start saving again.  While i do like saving nicles and dimes i also don't know if i can go the alright route after hearing how AMAZING it can sound with other amps.  I wouldn't want to spend 450 on an amp when i could spend 200 and then save for a better amp down the road.  Then again i plan on enjoying the headphones for a LONG time so maybe going for the lyr won't be such a bad investment.  Still can't make a decision on an DAC until i pick an amp.  I don't want to pair a bad DAC with a good Amp that will be limited because of the Dac i purchase.
I suppose going cheap for both and save up for a few years and then decide on the two that i want to stick with.   
Also everyone says that the bass is good on the orthos but i really don't see how the driver of an ortho can rattle your dome with the sub bass that a regular dynamic can.
And those LCD-2's are HUGE.  I've also heard that they are not good with imaging or soundstage. I need an effortless imaging or i won't be satisfied.  If i have to close my eyes and TRY to listen instead of just relaxing and getting the full effect then i will feel like it won't be good enough.  Then again i'm sure it's way better than what i'm use to. I have yet to venture into these "top teir" headphones

Jul 3, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #4,419 of 7,457

Quote:
Yeah i've read a lot about the Lyr.  I am in a bit of a financial situation right now with the new baby because of complications but when i am back to being able to save i might just get something cheap and then start saving again.  While i do like saving nicles and dimes i also don't know if i can go the alright route after hearing how AMAZING it can sound with other amps.  I wouldn't want to spend 450 on an amp when i could spend 200 and then save for a better amp down the road.  Then again i plan on enjoying the headphones for a LONG time so maybe going for the lyr won't be such a bad investment.  Still can't make a decision on an DAC until i pick an amp.  I don't want to pair a bad DAC with a good Amp that will be limited because of the Dac i purchase.
I suppose going cheap for both and save up for a few years and then decide on the two that i want to stick with.   
Also everyone says that the bass is good on the orthos but i really don't see how the driver of an ortho can rattle your dome with the sub bass that a regular dynamic can.
And those LCD-2's are HUGE.  I've also heard that they are not good with imaging or soundstage. I need an effortless imaging or i won't be satisfied.  If i have to close my eyes and TRY to listen instead of just relaxing and getting the full effect then i will feel like it won't be good enough.  Then again i'm sure it's way better than what i'm use to. I have yet to venture into these "top teir" headphones

As far as bass impact, the D7000 produces more and with a closed back headphones they portrait it differently as well (it's up to you to decide if you like it better or not than an open headphone).  The D7000 can be ran at most their potential with a cheap amp/dac combo like the Audio GD NFB-11/12, Nuforce HDP, and E7 + E9.  Those range anywhere from 200-400 and would definitely allow you to get your foot into the realm of head-fi.  For the top tier cans like the T1, HD800, LCD-2, and hifiman cans you need a pretty nice amp AND source to get the most out of them.  I've been in a financial situation before as well and ended up going with a modded D7000 and a cheap amp/dac combo to sooth me over.  With the D7000 it's nice to know that you can have a great sounding headphone without having to really break the bank on an amp and source.  Do they sound better with better equipment? Yes but you don't honestly need the best to enjoy these headphones.  I really can't say the same for the other top tier headphones as they are reference quality which absolutely deserve a great source and amp to pair with them. 

This is a great hobby to have but sometimes you just gotta ask yourself how much improvement is really worth spending on.

Jul 3, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #4,425 of 7,457
poetik, those baracudawoods u got there chewed me up really good...
i am going into the woods to look for some lumber!
wink_face.gif

i am having a super time listening thru a  laptop + NuforceHD +LDMk3 + D2000 setup rite this moment.
if budget is a factor, join me...its spaciousssly airy...with palpable bass...good clarity.
Didnt feel any pressure to move up the scale to the 7000s...
cept for the barracudawoods...arrrghhhhhh those fotos ought to be burnt!!!!..
its causing great unease glancing at them IN MY MIND.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back