Denon AH-D7000
Dec 27, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #2,461 of 7,457

My first good full size headphone was the AD700 (gave them to my Mom for Christmas last year), I listened to the AD700 Christmas Day and have to say if you want more bass, the D7000 is so much better in every way possible with the exception of not quite as wide a sound stage (better depth though) it's almost as large a leap as the AD700 was over other cheap headphones I had owned. Which to me says alot since the AD700 was a quantum improvement for me.

Edit: I have to agree dagothur a bit though as this is quite a leap in price unless your sure it's for you.

I will say this though, to me the D7000 has the majority of the things in the treble I liked about the AD700 except with better clarity and slightly better cymbal reproduction in my mind. Plus it has super liquid mids and the nicest bass reproduction I have heard other than the LCD-2.
Quote:
It's soooo tempting to buy these...

Right now I only have AD700s and BX5a speakers...

Dec 27, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #2,462 of 7,457
For those of you wondering, I finally got my JMoney v3 Denon ear pads in the mail today. Unfortunately, I have not been able to try them to see how they improve the overall SQ of the D7000s --  my D7000s are  currently going through the Markl mod and custom cup modification. However, here are my first impressions.

Jeremy has increased the price of these ear pads to $76 each, sans shipping. I can't complain, but after receiving them, I felt the build quality isn't as great as those of the V2s (at least from the pictures). The padding, due to the memory foam, is not as thick and lack in depth. To show this, I put the pads over my ears and found that my ears were touching the cloth separating the drivers from the ears... No, I don't have huge ears. The depth issue may come into play, but we'll have to see once I receive my Denons back from Mark Lawton. Like I said, nothing is set in stone yet, maybe these pads would be a lot better not only in comfort, but also sound quality wise once I put them on the headphones themselves. Take this review with a grain of salt. Jeremy is a great guy to deal with and his craftsmanship has always been top notch in the past.

Btw, I'll attach the pictures for your consideration later.

Dec 28, 2010 at 11:48 AM Post #2,463 of 7,457
Kinda moot for point, as I'd only do the J$ pads and nothing else IF it slightly lessened the bass's boomy-ness. If it so much as alters even a percentage of the mids or highs, I would rather stay with the already nearly perfect (for me) D7000 in stock form. This is seriously the only headphone I have ever used that was pretty much perfect in every single way to my ears. Modding it to change anything just sounds redundant and possibly affect it negatively for my tastes.

Dec 28, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #2,464 of 7,457

Quote:
Kinda moot for point, as I'd only do the J$ pads and nothing else IF it slightly lessened the bass's boomy-ness. If it so much as alters even a percentage of the mids or highs, I would rather stay with the already nearly perfect (for me) D7000 in stock form. This is seriously the only headphone I have ever used that was pretty much perfect in every single way to my ears. Modding it to change anything just sounds redundant and possibly affect it negatively for my tastes.

If you get a chance to hear one, you should treat yourself to a MarkL LA-7000 for reference purposes.

Dec 28, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #2,465 of 7,457

Quote:

It sounds too boomy from your E7/9?  You might be better off tapping the EQ a few db as I doubt pad rolling will give you the sort of specific control you are looking for.  

Dec 28, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #2,466 of 7,457
I've never experienced boominess with my D7000s.  The bass is very tightly controlled and there isn't too much of it.

Dec 28, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #2,468 of 7,457
No, The Dude said "there isn't too much of it," by which he means that the Denons produce extremely tight and controlled bass, with definition rather than a muddy thump in your head.

Quote:
Quote:
The bass is very tightly controlled and there isn't too much of it.

Not very much of the bass? Are we talking about the Denons?

Dec 28, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #2,469 of 7,457

Quote:
No, The Dude said "there isn't too much of it," by which he means that the Denons produce extremely tight and controlled bass, with definition rather than a muddy thump in your head.

Quote:
Quote:
The bass is very tightly controlled and there isn't too much of it.

Not very much of the bass? Are we talking about the Denons?

Gottcha...
smile.gif

The bass is certainly not muddy like say a Bose or Monster, but next to some of it's $1000 brethren it can come off as a bit wobbly. I highly recommend the J$ pads to help tighten up the bass. I liked the D7000s quite a bit (I bought them twice).

Dec 28, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #2,470 of 7,457
Of course the D7000s will seem wobbly when compared with a pair of Rs1s.  They're Grados after all.  I've never heard tighter bass than from a pair of Grados.

Dec 28, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #2,471 of 7,457
what's the going price on them?  I'm working on J&R but I can't get them to the $550-600 range I've heard others got the cans for.  PM me if you have a recent purchase with an order number of where you got them at a nice low price.  What's a "fair" price for these cans?  I don't want to pay $999 for them.  Thanks!  I'm going to probably place the order in the next day or so.

Dec 28, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #2,472 of 7,457

Quote:
what's the going price on them?  I'm working on J&R but I can't get them to the $550-600 range I've heard others got the cans for.  PM me if you have a recent purchase with an order number of where you got them at a nice low price.  What's a "fair" price for these cans?  I don't want to pay $999 for them.  Thanks!  I'm going to probably place the order in the next day or so.

check out the first post in this thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/529330/is-this-a-good-deal

Dec 28, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #2,473 of 7,457
hey guys,

im planning to get D7000 tomorrow from a shop. However, I was told that few of their D7000 were held in delivery depot for 1 1/2 weeks. Those were kept in super cold temperature (below 0' ) warehouse. Would there be any bad effect for these few new D7000 which was kept in extremely cold place? Should i get it from them or find another seller?

i found some infor 

Headphones/mic are both kind of wire connected and for long-lasting use should be care of following rules;
1)Never twisted the wires where connectivity starts .
2)Never use when hands are wet or oil or grease.
3)Don't keep headphones/mic near "hot and cold" keep it in safe and room temperature.

Dec 28, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #2,474 of 7,457

The cold shouldn't effect them much as long as it was pretty constant to prevent a lot of expansion and contraction... and they have been gradually warmed for a good long time before being used.... This will prevent damage from condensation.

That said, these are not cheap cans, so I would want to be sure you were getting a full warranty from that shop, just in case!

Dec 29, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #2,475 of 7,457

Quote:
For those of you wondering, I finally got my JMoney v3 Denon ear pads in the mail today. Unfortunately, I have not been able to try them to see how they improve the overall SQ of the D7000s --  my D7000s are  currently going through the Markl mod and custom cup modification. However, here are my first impressions.

Jeremy has increased the price of these ear pads to $76 each, sans shipping. I can't complain, but after receiving them, I felt the build quality isn't as great as those of the V2s (at least from the pictures). The padding, due to the memory foam, is not as thick and lack in depth. To show this, I put the pads over my ears and found that my ears were touching the cloth separating the drivers from the ears... No, I don't have huge ears. The depth issue may come into play, but we'll have to see once I receive my Denons back from Mark Lawton. Like I said, nothing is set in stone yet, maybe these pads would be a lot better not only in comfort, but also sound quality wise once I put them on the headphones themselves. Take this review with a grain of salt. Jeremy is a great guy to deal with and his craftsmanship has always been top notch in the past.

Btw, I'll attach the pictures for your consideration later.

I hope you realize the Markl mod is designed for D7000 stock pads and dropping the 150 clams for the J$ pads has been made moot thereby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back