Denon AH-D7000
Dec 26, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #2,431 of 7,464
Well... I'm leaving the D7000 alone (until I hear aamefford's with the J$'s on them in Feb).
I think they are just amazing as is and won't believe there can be an improvement until I experience it first hand.

I had the LA2000 Lites. I had the D5000. Sorry, but I did not care for what the LA mods did for the sound. It did decrease the bass bloat (of the D5k), however. For me the D7k has no bass bloat, so no need to mod them.

Dec 26, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #2,432 of 7,464
There was a degree of sub bass loosenes with the Lehmann Black Cube and Bryston BDA-1 DAC.  But paired with the Reference 7 dac and Black cube...the D7000s have amazing bass control at sub bass frequencies...in fact, more sub bass control than LCD2s and Bryston DAC.  A good DAC can really control the sub bass on these D7000s right into exotica territory.

Dec 26, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #2,433 of 7,464
I wouldn't touch the D7000. My ONLY minor complaint is that they have more bass than the DT990s I have. I'd get the new J$ pads, but I don't wanna alter the sound whatsoever. Softening the treble even a little would ruin the D7000 for me, so I will gladly live with the godly bass impact. The bass is fine, I just got used to the 990s quick decay. I have uses for both now, lol.

Off topic, I FINALLY found a browser that allows me to post on my G2 android...

Dec 26, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #2,434 of 7,464
Jeremy never emailed me back for the earpads...

I haven't tried any markle mods... not really interested in it either at this point.

I disagree the D7000 have more sub bass "control" then the LCD-2... to me the LCD-2 is perfect. However, with epic gear such as the pieces you mentioned earlier the quality of the D7000 is extraordinary and even with the bass boost on the sub bass frequencies they come off clean and precise. Thats how I hear it anyways.

Dec 26, 2010 at 4:10 AM Post #2,435 of 7,464

Quote:
Jeremy never emailed me back for the earpads...

I haven't tried any markle mods... not really interested in it either at this point.

I disagree the D7000 have more sub bass "control" then the LCD-2... to me the LCD-2 is perfect. However, with epic gear such as the pieces you mentioned earlier the quality of the D7000 is extraordinary and even with the bass boost on the sub bass frequencies they come off clean and precise. Thats how I hear it anyways.

All else being equal, yes the LCD2s have eye popping bass control...but the D7000s are more adept at bass control than I had ever thought possible, far removed from bloated and sloppy as is often conveyed.

Do you have access to a good EQ...I recommend downloading Easy Q and playing around with bass EQ of the HD800 and D7000...and hear for yourself how similarly controlled the bass of these two cans are when the amplitudes in bass are compensated to similar degrees...this was a remarkable revelation to me.  Actually when I did this it was with the Bryston DAC...I don't have the HD800s with me anymore and I wonder what the results would be with the Ref 7.

Dec 26, 2010 at 5:47 AM Post #2,436 of 7,464

Quote:
Well... I'm leaving the D7000 alone (until I hear aamefford's with the J$'s on them in Feb).
I think they are just amazing as is and won't believe there can be an improvement until I experience it first hand.

I had the LA2000 Lites. I had the D5000. Sorry, but I did not care for what the LA mods did for the sound. It did decrease the bass bloat (of the D5k), however. For me the D7k has no bass bloat, so no need to mod them.

I've thought as much.  People ask me about getting the D7k or the D2/5 and modding.  I think its just better to jump straight to the D7000 if you are going to commit to the model line seriously.

Dec 26, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #2,438 of 7,464
To my ears the D7k have nearly perfect highs. They are not overly bright like the DT880 (as much as I care for these) or DT770. Some have complained about strident or painful highs in the D7k, but they must be:
1) terribly sensitive to highs
2) using source files, source equipment, etc, that contribute to the harsh highs.

With good source files and rig the D7k's highs are neither piercing or overly crystalline. And along with that... using the same caveat, the bass is just right. Synergy is important with many cans. Here it is important, but when the match is right (and I really don't think it's that difficult to achieve), the sound is exceptional. Very good Solid State components are abundant.

Dec 26, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #2,439 of 7,464
I am sensitive to highs but find the D7000 manage to straddle the line between being to bright or harsh and going the other way. I agree with Shane about it only being a problem when the music source is to bright or if your setup is on the bright side. I have also listened to HD800, BD T1, and the LCD-2 and prefer the D7000 over them all.

Dec 26, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #2,440 of 7,464
I thought my D7000s were a *tad* bright until I upgraded my DAC/amp to the Grace from an entry-level component set.  Now, as Shane and others have said, they're just perfect.    I am incredibly sensitive to bright-sounding cans and don't sense that at all with these. 

Dec 26, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #2,441 of 7,464
Why did you prefer the D7000? How bright did you find the D7000 compared to 800 and T1?

Quote:
I am sensitive to highs but find the D7000 manage to straddle the line between being to bright or harsh and going the other way. I agree with Shane about it only being a problem when the music source is to bright or if your setup is on the bright side. I have also listened to HD800, BD T1, and the LCD-2 and prefer the D7000 over them all.

Dec 26, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #2,442 of 7,464
So you found D7000 less bright with the Grace? I just sold my Grace 'cause the T1 was so bright on it. My Naim Headline is clearly less bright than the Grace. But the Grace was fantastic with HD650. Miss it...

But now there's a Woo WA2 on the way. Recommended for both T1 and 650. And I've seen several reviews that praised WA2 + D7000, even though the WA2 is OTL..

Anybody heard the D7000 on a WA2?

Quote:
I thought my D7000s were a *tad* bright until I upgraded my DAC/amp to the Grace from an entry-level component set.  Now, as Shane and others have said, they're just perfect.    I am incredibly sensitive to bright-sounding cans and don't sense that at all with these. 

Dec 26, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #2,443 of 7,464

Quote:
 For me the D7k has no bass bloat, so no need to mod them.

It's not that there bloated, it's the chassis of this vechile aint strong enough to take the power of the engine me matey's. The D7k drivers are monsters at vibration, and it's not so much the really deep bass, it's the mid range whacking rattling bass that vibrates the flimsy light chassis construction. Just needed to be re-inforced is all. Makes a difference, trust me.

Dec 26, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #2,444 of 7,464

Quote:
So you found D7000 less bright with the Grace? I just sold my Grace 'cause the T1 was so bright on it. My Naim Headline is clearly less bright than the Grace. But the Grace was fantastic with HD650. Miss it...

But now there's a Woo WA2 on the way. Recommended for both T1 and 650. And I've seen several reviews that praised WA2 + D7000, even though the WA2 is OTL..

Quote:

depends on the output impedance of your headphone amp and quality of amp and source.

To me they are bright is... but most headphones are. in some ways more than the HD 800, in some ways less...

I would imagine it has to do with balance... the HD 800 have much less bass than the D7000 so it is easier for them to sound bright but the D7000 might sound less bright by contrast but they are still a headphone with excentuated highs... but nothing painful and I find it quite fitting... without it the D7000 would sound too dark and possibly bloated.

a nice beefy SS amp should give (will) best results by far...

my 2c

Dec 26, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #2,445 of 7,464
Quote:

Quote:

I can't speak for the WA2, but I own a WA22 and love the combo with the D7000s.  Its been a pretty long journey rolling in different tubes, but I think I've found a near-perfect combination for the D7000s.  FWIW, I'm currently using the EML 5U4G mesh, black glass KenRad VT-231s, and GEC 6080s.

I'm very sensitive to sibilance and it took quite a while (and a lot of tube rolling) to minimize it.  It really does depend on the recording, but I'd say that 95% of the music I have sounds excellent.  The only music that has very noticeable sibilance now is U2 but it's not un-listenable; just not the smoothest-sounding music in my collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back