Denon AH-D7000
Dec 15, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #2,372 of 7,464

Quote:
haha I cant find them for even 700, lowest price im finding them is for 712.5. If you guys could be kind enough to tell me sites that are selling them at prices of 650 or lower.

Just keep checking Amazon periodically.  A deal will surface.  Be patient.

Dec 16, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #2,376 of 7,464

Quote:
any D7000 owner with only portable amp here?

I've tried it briefly with the Arrow.  It gives up a bit to my Headroom Ultra Desktop (at about 7 or 8 times the price), though when I use the HR ultra's dac as source, it doesn't give up much.  From memory, the Arrow and DAC cable are fairly close to the Dynalo and Dacmagic in sound.  The desktop amps both provide a richness and "substance" that the Arrow can't quite match.  There is no substitute for voltage and current...  Still, pretty impressive.

Dec 16, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #2,377 of 7,464

Quote:
Quote:
haha I cant find them for even 700, lowest price im finding them is for 712.5. If you guys could be kind enough to tell me sites that are selling them at prices of 650 or lower.

Just keep checking Amazon periodically.  A deal will surface.  Be patient.

Have you tried calling J&R and negotiating for the $600 shipped?  

Dec 20, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #2,378 of 7,464
So I decided to keep my D7000 and possibly sell the HD 800... (really hoping to keep both but my girlfriend and family do need xmas gifts.... *sigh*)

They are simply too musical, and too good. Electronic music sounds sublime, and less busy pieces, regardless of genre, always sound right and relaxing via the D7000.

It is a shame that these headphones seem to be the first flagship most people get due to their lower price, and the second people get a taste of real high end headphones, they sell their D7000 to move on to "bigger" and "better" things. These should not be viewed as "tide me over" headphones or "I couldn't afford a real flagship"headphones. That is unfair an inaccurate. They are world-class headphones in every sense of the word.

Now, my LCD-2 certainly ARE a better headphone technically speaking than the D7000 and I find their balance perfect... they sound like life and are ruthlessly revealing. All great things and obviously IMO, to my ears, etc etc. The LCD-2 are perfect, and technical/sonic marvels - save their weight.

BUT the D7000 sound to me like what I though of music in my childhood... what a really good movie theater sounds like... what a club might sound like if they had good amps and good speakers... a good rock venue... they just sound like music... yes they are coloured, but most gear is... and the colouration is what makes them such a "comfy" and "seductive" headphone.

That being said I want to stress again they really are not inferior like most people seem to think these days. They have their issues, but most headphones do (I would say all but someone is going to disagree). The HD 800 to these ears does not have magically better drivers that are "on a different" level... it just had the opposite problem of being too bright, and a little "overly dampened" while the D7000 need to be dampened just a tad more. It is just the polar opposite but they are both very close in terms of actual SQ. The LCD-2 is above both... but I hope this puts the D7000 into perspective for some people. It is not a second grade flagship... it is a flagship like any other and it sounds damned good.

With proper amping: Like my balanced phoenix with 0 negative feedback and a kickass source like my Ref - 7 they are super revealing and the detail is great. They are handicapped by their closed nature int his respect, especially depending on the volume but this is also what makes them sound the way they do: damned good.

So like Gui Sensei and a few others, the magic is not in the most correct headphones technically speaking. It is in the most correct sounding to your preferences or music. This headphone is not hi-fi as it is not always highly faithful, but it is highly musical and always sounds good if the volume level is in good taste.

So for those who avoid these like the plague due to "boomy uncontrolled bass" : Get a good amp, listen at reasonable levels, and MAN UP!! That being said I do not think these headphones do "crowded" or "busy" music that well like thrash metal for an example but most things are an absolute joy.

The D7000 are exceedingly comfortable both sonically and physically, although I do find the HD 800 "disappear" tactic impressive and I adored that, the D7000 are close in comfort. The LCD-2 are very comfy although the least of the three... but they are SOOOO heavy.

What sealed the deal for me today, why I could absolutely NOT sell these headphones, was after an hour listening session of Armin Van Buuren, Excision, and Kings of Leon... I realized nothing sounded remotely bad... hell it sounded AMAZING...they all sounded so "comfy", so "inviting" and "seductive" that I knew I could not let these go. If one will be going it will be the HD 800. while the soundstage is to die for as well as the ergonomics... it really is not that much of a technical marvel... and damned expensive. But it is extremely enjoyable but my funds are running out really quick and I am most likely going to have to choose one. Being unable to work for the next month due to my operation has made monetary matters even worse... but I am in no real danger even if my hi-fi spending is cut off... I am a student living at home after all haha.

/end rant (forgive me if I sound insane, I had an operation last Wednesday and am on heavy narcotics)

Dec 20, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #2,380 of 7,464
I'm glad to hear you're keeping the D7000.  I have the Pro 900, and to say I'm eager to hear the D7000 is an understatement.  From everything I've read, the D7000 has just as deep and impactful bass as the Pro 900s, but a musicality about them that is tough to match.  Someday I plan to upgrade to them (if going from a Pro 900 to a D7000 is an upgrade), or maybe some T1s.  I'm also glad to hear they rock at electronic music, as thats just about all I listen to.  

Dec 20, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #2,381 of 7,464

Quote:
I'm glad to hear you're keeping the D7000.  I have the Pro 900, and to say I'm eager to hear the D7000 is an understatement.  From everything I've read, the D7000 has just as deep and impactful bass as the Pro 900s, but a musicality about them that is tough to match.  Someday I plan to upgrade to them (if going from a Pro 900 to a D7000 is an upgrade), or maybe some T1s.  I'm also glad to hear they rock at electronic music, as thats just about all I listen to.  

I have never heard the pro 900 (but owned and loved the pro 750).

I would imagine the D7000 would be more neutral in both the highs and lows than the pro 900 as ultrasone headphone all seem to have massive mid bass bumps in the FR. So the D7000 will hit a little less hard at the same volume, but the low low low , dirty/sexy bass will be much more apparent and better defined. If you listen to dubstep or ambient with lots of low bass you will cream your pants without question.

you might like the pro 900 more... and I think they will sound more detailed at first because from what I remember they are brighter... but from what I can tell, and with my experience with the pro 750: The D7000 are no question the superior headphone although the ultrasones are amazing in their own right... i really REALLY enjoyed S-Logic.

T1 are great (I auditioned them) and sound very similar to the LCD-2. Personally I liked the LCD-2 more (especially in the lows and highs) so you might want to check on those.

The LCD-2 are the ONLY open headphone I know of that can do electronic music justice.

But do enjoy your pro 900... the pro 750 were a great headphone I wish I could have afforded to keep and the Pro 900 are surely that much better.

Dec 20, 2010 at 9:20 AM Post #2,382 of 7,464
I definitely agree that the D7000 are really great sounding headphones.  If I had to choose between those and the HD800, especially if like you I owned the LCD-2 already, I would choose the D7000 as the keepers as well.

Dec 20, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #2,384 of 7,464
@ sokolov91

Nice 'rant'. I mean that... very nice. I agree, musicality with a truly 'acoustic' sound. The D7k make all my music so frackin' enjoyable, and it is mostly about enjoyment.
Sometimes cans are tools. Sometimes you need them for editing or analyzing, but to just kick back and listen to the notes, the music, the voice, the tones and the space... the D7k is just glorious.

Synergy is critical for most (if not all high-end) cans, and the combo I have just works so well it's scary. Pushing these with the DAC1-Pre is stunning. It really makes you fully appreciate all the bits and pieces in the chain of the rig that lead up to the cans. It allows you to appreciate music that is well recorded and mastered.

Dec 20, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #2,385 of 7,464

Quote:
I definitely agree that the D7000 are really great sounding headphones.  If I had to choose between those and the HD800, especially if like you I owned the LCD-2 already, I would choose the D7000 as the keepers as well.

With me to pair with my LCD-2s, it would be the HD800s in a heartbeat. Like you, I did purchase them twice (thought I've also sold them twice now). I find that as good as their bass impact and presentation is, with the LCD-2s, they are always the "redheaded stepchild". So for music that needs good solid, deep bass and wonderful mids (rock/metal,jazz) the LCD-2s win every time over the D7000s. And as they isolate equally as much...no real reason to keep the D7000s. Now the Edition 8s...different story.
evil_smiley.gif

But with classical/acoustic and some jazz, nothing comes close to the HD800s (note: I have yet to hear the HE-6s). For that reason, I would think one's collection would be better served with the LCD-2s and HD800s. But as they say: YMMV.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back