Denon AH-D7000
Nov 6, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #2,267 of 7,457

Quote:
I would really like to listen balanced vs. stock D7000 and feel the difference. Before that happens, call me skeptical.

being a skeptic is always in good taste... as long as you stick to the part where you will belive if there is enough evidence, despite any biases :p

Who knows, i havent done much A/Bing with the D7000 yet, but the change with the LCD-2 was pretty pronounced imo... then again I could be crazy :O

Nov 6, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #2,268 of 7,457

cost me 20$. Cut the stock cable near the end, soldered the 4 connectors on to a 4 pin xlr, closed it up again. Voila -done. I also made a TRS to 4 pin connector out of the remaining pieces.

Takes about 15 mins of your time and 20$. But, if you want, you can always send your headphones away and pay someone 300$ plus shipping for essentially the same thing.

Correct me if I am wrong. Isn't that just changing the Stereo TRS connector to XLR? That don't make it balanced.

Nov 6, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #2,270 of 7,457

Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong. Isn't that just changing the Stereo TRS connector to XLR? That don't make it balanced.

D7000 has 4 wires coming from the speakers to the TRS plug so reterminating them to 4 pin( or 2x3 pin) XLR does balance them.

Nov 6, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #2,271 of 7,457

Quote:
D7000 has 4 wires coming from the speakers to the TRS plug so reterminating them to 4 pin( or 2x3 pin) XLR does balance them.

ding ding ding we have a w1nnar. There are 4 cables, and are entirely balanced with a simple and easy retermination. The stock wire is a good one too, theoretically anyways... so cable nuts should be able to resist an "upgrade"

Nov 6, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #2,272 of 7,457

I had my D7000 balanced. I kept the original cable and had it reterminated with a 4 pin XLR plug. 

Quote:
ding ding ding we have a w1nnar. There are 4 cables, and are entirely balanced with a simple and easy retermination. The stock wire is a good one too, theoretically anyways... so cable nuts should be able to resist an "upgrade"

Nov 7, 2010 at 11:48 AM Post #2,275 of 7,457

Quote:
I got the Concerto so balanced means a new amp right? Awesome news we can do such an easy balanced mod.

Yeah it would mean a totally new amp. Yeah I was really pleased because it meant I didn't have to risk melting the voice coil doing a whole recable, but still didn't have to pay someone hundreds of dollars for such a simple service.

Quote:
I'm curious, whether iBasso D3+ is powerfull enough to drive these headphones??

Couldn't tell you. All I know is that the D7000, to my ears, is a headphone that really likes a powerful amp. I am sure it would be enjoyable on the amp though.

Nov 7, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #2,276 of 7,457

Quote:
I got the Concerto so balanced means a new amp right? Awesome news we can do such an easy balanced mod.

Yeah since the Concerto is single ended.  I decided on the Violectric 181 or 282 sometime in the future since it will allow both types of use.

Nov 8, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #2,277 of 7,457

Quote:
Yeah since the Concerto is single ended.  I decided on the Violectric 181 or 282 sometime in the future since it will allow both types of use.

My soundcard is a HDAV1.3, I am sure that it doesn't have balanced outputs and apart from that there is only the Auzentech which does the bluray DTS MA etc. So it looks like no balanced for me just yet.

Nov 8, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #2,278 of 7,457

Unlike many phones the D7000 has 4 wires at the plug, not 3. So you can replace the TRS with a 4 pin XLR plug and have balanced phones.
Quote:

Nov 8, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #2,279 of 7,457

Quote:
cost me 20$. Cut the stock cable near the end, soldered the 4 connectors on to a 4 pin xlr, closed it up again. Voila -done. I also made a TRS to 4 pin connector out of the remaining pieces.

Takes about 15 mins of your time and 20$. But, if you want, you can always send your headphones away and pay someone 300$ plus shipping for essentially the same thing.

Can you please post the cable colors for L&R and ground?  I will chop mines as soon as the 4 pin XLR show up in the mailbox.

Nov 8, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #2,280 of 7,457

Quote:
Can you please post the cable colors for L&R and ground?  I will chop mines as soon as the 4 pin XLR show up in the mailbox.

If I recall correctly, check this of course, The colors are one red, one white and two black(one for each speaker). I believe the black is the ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back