Denon AH-D7000
Jul 7, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #2,012 of 7,464
sorry
my bad
i bought mine a while ago from headroom.com and i made the wrong assumption.
here is the spec:
http://www.gracedesign.com/products/m902/m902.htm

paul

Quote:

I was under the impression that the Grace used Meier's Crossfeed.

Jul 10, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #2,014 of 7,464
I think the midrange points and the top point are spot on for where I would make adjustments. I'm using a marklmod set instead of a stock pair and the first thing I noticed lacking was around 400hz is still present. The rest are much better, but that one still is nagging every now and then (I find about 2-4db solves it). One potential difference and one I didn't get to test when I had access to a stock set was the 7khz dip you have. I *hate* the presence peak @ 7.25khz & color combo on modern Neumann microphones, but with the D7000s, I don't notice the peak at all (and the color becomes somewhat favorable or pleasent).

Quote:
The one thing that makes the biggest difference for me is when I apply this EQ setting to the D7000:

It fills out the recessed mids so they sound more like the wonder mids of the HD650, ease up on that  annoyingly sharp sibilance, while still keeping that awesome bass response. Then add Isone Pro to that signal chain, and the D7000 is about as perfect as it can be. That EQ setting is what I expected the D7000 to sound like when I bought them without hearing them first, Needless to say I was disappointed. I even considered buying a high-end outboard hardware EQ unit to be the last piece of gear in my chain before hitting the headphone amp/distributor, but then I realized I'm just trying to fix something that's flawed in the first place instead of merely enhancing it a bit. So my search continues in the form of the LCD2 and Stax 007MKII.

Aug 1, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #2,015 of 7,464
Quote:
The one thing that makes the biggest difference for me is when I apply this EQ setting to the D7000:

It fills out the recessed mids so they sound more like the wonder mids of the HD650, ease up on that  annoyingly sharp sibilance, while still keeping that awesome bass response. Then add Isone Pro to that signal chain, and the D7000 is about as perfect as it can be. That EQ setting is what I expected the D7000 to sound like when I bought them without hearing them first, Needless to say I was disappointed. I even considered buying a high-end outboard hardware EQ unit to be the last piece of gear in my chain before hitting the headphone amp/distributor, but then I realized I'm just trying to fix something that's flawed in the first place instead of merely enhancing it a bit. So my search continues in the form of the LCD2 and Stax 007MKII.

Noob Q:

How do I use that equalizer setting? How to use EasyQ, can't get the VST thing to work.

Aug 9, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #2,017 of 7,464
Just recieved the D7000, in comparison the Mid's are very pronounced to my other D2000, more detail, bigger soundstage and better realism. Closer to the sound of real speakers, much more dynamic. Very impressed.

BUT something I do notice is vibration in the midrange area at times, kind of in your ear, hoping the new amp purchase will smooth things out, will report back.

Aug 9, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #2,018 of 7,464

Quote:
Just recieved the D7000, in comparison the Mid's are very pronounced to my other D2000, more detail, bigger soundstage and better realism. Closer to the sound of real speakers, much more dynamic. Very impressed.

BUT something I do notice is vibration in the midrange area at times, kind of in your ear, hoping the new amp purchase will smooth things out, will report back.

Burn in for 100 hrs and that will go away. I really did not care for them until burned in and now very happy with them

Aug 9, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #2,019 of 7,464
I am burning in now with pink noise, already done about 10 hrs, although I am not completely convinced of burn in, nonetheless I am doing it just in case.

Maybe after 100hrs I will be able to see either way.

Aug 9, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #2,020 of 7,464

Quote:
I am burning in now with pink noise, already done about 10 hrs, although I am not completely convinced of burn in, nonetheless I am doing it just in case.

Maybe after 100hrs I will be able to see either way.

I burned in using my CD player on repeat for 100 hrs and believe me if you look at my early impressions on the D7000 it was a huge difference. I was going to send it back. Those drive need to open up and when they do you will find the bass is tight and controlled and the cans are 3D and for me were a keeper.

Aug 9, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #2,021 of 7,464
I couldn't tell you if they broke in or not... probably just my brain... but they sounded fantastic to me every step of the way, and the more I listen, the more I like.

amping them really helped bring out their clarity and control... you are indeed lucky you are getting a concerto for these bad boys :wink:

I wonder how they will fare VS my LCD-2 that I am getting tomorrow XD

Aug 9, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #2,022 of 7,464

Quote:
I couldn't tell you if they broke in or not... probably just my brain... but they sounded fantastic to me every step of the way, and the more I listen, the more I like.

I wonder how they will fare VS my LCD-2 that I am getting tomorrow XD

What amp are you using for the LCD2 the Meir. My T1 sounds awesome on my Decware tube amp and the Denon D7000 like the solid state matrix better.

Aug 9, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #2,023 of 7,464

Quote:
What amp are you using for the LCD2 the Meir. My T1 sounds awesome on my Decware tube amp and the Denon D7000 like the solid state matrix better.

Yeah I will be using my Meier. I love solid state... and well it is my only high end amp now. At 50 ohms and current hungry, I think it is a good choice too. How is your T1 vs your D7000?

I can't picture another headphone being good enough to eclipse the D7000, but I guess we will see.

Aug 9, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #2,024 of 7,464

Quote:
Yeah I will be using my Meier. I love solid state... and well it is my only high end amp now. At 50 ohms and current hungry, I think it is a good choice too. How is your T1 vs your D7000?

I can't picture another headphone being good enough to eclipse the D7000, but I guess we will see.

The T1 is in another class. Much more transparency and very musical. it is major step up from the D7000. I only heard the LCD2 at a meet and really it was too short of a time to make any comparison to my T1. The T1 is permanent. I am in the loaner program and the HE6 is really nice sounding but you need a speaker amp to run it. That is why the LCD2 will be a bigger seller.

Aug 9, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #2,025 of 7,464

Quote:

The T1 is in another class. Much more transparency and very musical. it is major step up from the D7000. I only heard the LCD2 at a meet and really it was too short of a time to make any comparison to my T1. The T1 is permanent. I am in the loaner program and the HE6 is really nice sounding but you need a speaker amp to run it. That is why the LCD2 will be a bigger seller.

I completely agree with Frank on this one. I do really like my D7000s (you know I bought them twice
confused.gif
), but the T1s are in current class of "best headphones one can own".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back