Denon AH-D7000
May 18, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #1,936 of 7,457

Quote:
So I listened to Heaven and Hell (Black Sabbath last night...kind of a tribute to the late RJ Dio) with the D7000s and boy these are incredibly fun cans! Deep and powerful subwoofer-like bass and sparkling treble. Very similar to the Westone 3s (my favourite IEMs) in terms of style and presentation.

They are not balanced/neutral IMO, but boy are they fun and a great change of pace. I'm glad to have them back on the roster!
L3000.gif

The least transparent headphone in my collection yet a legitimate portion of my music collection seem to be recorded with these phones in mind as they do give life to those particular recordings.

I think everyone has their own interpretations of neutral or balanced but no one can argue that there are more transparent phones out there than the D7000's.

May 18, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #1,937 of 7,457

Quote:
I love my Westone 3 IEMs (my favourite IEMs) and the D7000s are the closed full sized headphone to them I've ever heard.

I have the Westone 3 as well, but I'm not really a fan and have been looking for something more accurate for a while now. I also don't think the W3 and the D7000 sound anything alike at all. The W3's sub-bass weight or tightness is nothing to write home about--it's actually bloated and shapeless without any texture to my ears, and the treble is rolled off too much to the point of sounding muffled. When I A/B the W3 and the D7000, it's night and day difference. The D7000's sub-bass weight and presence is very rich and lush and full, and also punchy and tight at the same time. Its treble is also far more clear and detailed than the W3. If I was 80% satisfied with the D7000, then I'm only 65% satisfied with the W3.

May 18, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #1,942 of 7,457

Quote:
I have the Westone 3 as well, but I'm not really a fan and have been looking for something more accurate for a while now. I also don't think the W3 and the D7000 sound anything alike at all. The W3's sub-bass weight or tightness is nothing to write home about--it's actually bloated and shapeless without any texture to my ears, and the treble is rolled off too much to the point of sounding muffled. When I A/B the W3 and the D7000, it's night and day difference. The D7000's sub-bass weight and presence is very rich and lush and full, and also punchy and tight at the same time. Its treble is also far more clear and detailed than the W3. If I was 80% satisfied with the D7000, then I'm only 65% satisfied with the W3.

Uggh
confused.gif
...I thought we covered this a few months back with HPA?

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/386477/review-westone-3-the-ultimate-universal-iem-vs-everything-else-aka-w3-appreciation-thread/1830

Their presentation and style are very similar. I am not saying that they sound the SAME! Hard to for a full sized headphone with 50mm drivers to sound the same as a triple driver IEM.

Larry, (HPA) and others have agreed with the sentiments that of all IEMs, the closest to the D7000's presentation are the Westone 3s. Deep and punchy (and yes tight) bass, slightly recessed mids and sparkling treble. I think you should go back and look at the tips you're using, the treble on the W3 is far from "rolled off". I would critique them for the opposite (too sparkling).

Can you name an IEM that is more like the D7000s as a counter point?

I guess we all hear differently, but it appears that we both hear the D7000s very similarly, but not the Westone 3s?

May 18, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #1,944 of 7,457

Quote:
So I listened to Heaven and Hell (Black Sabbath last night...kind of a tribute to the late RJ Dio) with the D7000s and boy these are incredibly fun cans! Deep and powerful subwoofer-like bass and sparkling treble. Very similar to the Westone 3s (my favourite IEMs) in terms of style and presentation.

They are not balanced/neutral IMO, but boy are they fun and a great change of pace. I'm glad to have them back on the roster!
L3000.gif

I'd agree that the stock D7000 are are similar to the W3, while my LA7000 are noticeably better.  With the mods the bass is better controlled/defined, and the mids are more detailed and forward, making them one of the best closed cans that I've tried.  They don't beat Ray's R10, but for the cost of a bass-heavy R10 I got a used demo LA7000, used Stax O2 Mk1, and a used demo Woo WES amp.  
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 18, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #1,945 of 7,457

Quote:
I'd agree that the stock D7000 are are similar to the W3, while my LA7000 are noticeably better.  With the mods the bass is better controlled/defined, and the mids are more detailed and forward, making them one of the best closed cans that I've tried.  They don't beat Ray's R10, but for the cost of a bass-heavy R10 I got a used demo LA7000, used Stax O2 Mk1, and a used demo Woo WES amp.  
very_evil_smiley.gif

Thanks Larry.
biggrin.gif

Now off to buy a lottery ticket for Friday's jackpot (and my funds for the R10s).

May 19, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #1,947 of 7,457
Just received my D7000 too. I love them as I did when I first heard them at my first headphone meet in California. Such an exciting headphone to listen to. And luxurious looking too. Now to obtain a DT880 600ohm Manufaktur as well as modding these via LA and JMoney pads!

May 19, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #1,948 of 7,457
I really love my combo Earmax SE and D7000 .
The bass goes really deep and the mid is full and smooth and 3D like sound stage.
Very goood indeed.

No hiss , no hum, the background is dead quiet.
The volume control is good.
I usually listen at around 9-10 o'clock , at 11 , it seems too loud fro me.

smile_phones.gif

May 20, 2010 at 7:11 AM Post #1,949 of 7,457
The Matrix M Stage handles them well. Still need to open up before I decide on them. I fugure two weeks will tell me the story or when I listen to the HE5 LE burned in today at a head flier who invited me over to listen to his rig I will get a better handle on the Denon also.

May 20, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #1,950 of 7,457

Well I dear say I hope you end up loving them! They are really worth getting to know... great you are backed by a 30 day return policy though!

It is your money and ears of course, but I think the D7000 are a phone, depending on your tastes, that might not get a fair chance when compared directly with an open back headphone if you are not well versed in their sound. Recently I have been really into closed headphones, and I have noticed that they can at times seem less clear and open than open headphones, especially at higher volumes (duh, I know)... but open headphones lack a richness... a contiguity just something that makes the music sound so right. I do tend to keep the volume low with the closed ones though... but I guess its a win win situation for my hearing and enjoyment.

Also, I don't know what your primary genre is, but be sure to include some really bass heavy, and really bass light tracks. Some tracks will sound bloated with them, but other tracks will sound so rich, fleshed out and organic. Be sure you get a good feel on how they will react to the majority of your collection.
Quote:
The Matrix M Stage handles them well. Still need to open up before I decide on them. I fugure two weeks will tell me the story or when I listen to the HE5 LE burned in today at a head flier who invited me over to listen to his rig I will get a better handle on the Denon also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back