Denon AH-D7000
Feb 19, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #1,636 of 7,457
I have used EMS every time I have shipped something from here. No problems whatsoever. Usually takes under a week to most countries.

Feb 19, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #1,637 of 7,457
I have bought the D7000. Do the earcups look like a plastic finish? If so this is better as they look like a cheaper product and less likely to be swiped. I'm not concerened about dings and scatches and will not baby them

Feb 19, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #1,638 of 7,457
Feb 19, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #1,639 of 7,457
Quote:

Originally Posted by reptillian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have bought the D7000. Do the earcups look like a plastic finish? If so this is better as they look like a cheaper product and less likely to be swiped. I'm not concerened about dings and scatches and will not baby them

The earcups are just wood with some lacquer on it. They don't really look cheap unfortunately so they are not really the right headphones if you want to go outside unnoticed with them, actually I have never heard of anyone using them outside
wink.gif

Feb 19, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #1,640 of 7,457
Price japan isn't always the cheapest source, but they are super-reliable. I have bought from them before.

I also strongly recommend using Paypal, since it is much easier than wire transfers.

And I also have had no issues with EMS.

Hope that helps.

Feb 19, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #1,641 of 7,457
Hawat i will use them on the underground/subway that is it. the twist resistant cable attracted me also. i am non plussed about the shiny finish, but just care about the sound really.

Feb 20, 2010 at 7:33 AM Post #1,643 of 7,457
Quote:

Originally Posted by aamefford /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just opened mine up and plugged them I to the dynalo. So far, unburned in with a few minutes on them, a seemingly vast improvement to my D5000's. I'll a/b a little tomorrow, but for my taste, the D7000's seem to be superior. More later.

You need dx-1000 and I need d7000
tongue.gif

Feb 20, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #1,644 of 7,457
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nachkebia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need dx-1000 and I need d7000
tongue.gif

Edit - see the next few posts for further, and more positive comments - End result is the D5000's are for sale, and I'm keping the D7000's.

I'm not following here... Anyway I noticed from yor sig that you use the D5000 for everything BUT acoustic. I love the D5000 with accoustic guitar and piano. The D7000's seem to improve on this.

One area that my new D7000's trouble me is treble energy and sibilance. The D5000's exhibited sibilance to a bit lesser degree. Both D5000 and D7000 are recording dependent on the amount of sibilance. The J$ pads helped a bunch on the D5000's, both with bass muddiness and sibilance. I'm hoping for similar improvement with the D7000's regarding sibilance. No bass mudduiness with the D7000's! I have also noticed with other cans That burn in seems to reduce sibilance. Most specifically the ultrasone 780's and the D5000's.

Due to the treble energy or brightness, and the sibilance, the jury is out for me. I also get listening fatigue a bit sooner with the D7000.

All of these impressions are straight out of the box, with 0 to 8 hours on them. I am pretty critical. These do sound really awesome, I just hope the sharp edge goes away with burn in and the J$'s.

More to come.

Feb 20, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #1,645 of 7,457
Quote:

I'm not following here... Anyway I noticed from yor sig that you use the D5000 for everything BUT acoustic. I love the D5000 with accoustic guitar and piano. The D7000's seem to improve on this.

One area that my new D7000's trouble me is treble energy and sibilance. The D5000's exhibited sibilance to a bit lesser degree. Both D5000 and D7000 are recording dependent on the amount of sibilance. The J$ pads helped a bunch on the D5000's, both with bass muddiness and sibilance. I'm hoping for similar improvement with the D7000's regarding sibilance. No bass mudduiness with the D7000's! I have also noticed with other cans That burn in seems to reduce sibilance. Most specifically the ultrasone 780's and the D5000's.

Due to the treble energy or brightness, and the sibilance, the jury is out for me. I also get listening fatigue a bit sooner with the D7000.

All of these impressions are straight out of the box, with 0 to 8 hours on them. I am pretty critical. These do sound really awesome, I just hope the sharp edge goes away with burn in and the J$'s.

More to come.

Excellent write up! thank you.

Feb 20, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #1,646 of 7,457
Quote:

Originally Posted by wmf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well that site, pricejapan is not exactly cheap.

$25.00 shipped USPS priority mail to your door in australia.

even with the current exchange rate, your looking at around $820 aust.

200 bucks is 200 bucks. would go towards a nice amp ; P

100% AUTHENTIC ORIGINAL DENON AH-D7000 PRO HEADPHONES - eBay (item 220558280983 end time Mar-19-10 15:04:35 PDT)

I have dealt w/ that seller before. He's not an authorized dealer but he claims he receives excessive merchandise from an authorized one and helps the guy unload items he cannot sell since Denon requires a certain amount of minimal sales volume to be met per month. Whether you get 'em from him is up to you of course.
wink.gif

Feb 20, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #1,647 of 7,457
I'm back again. I put the J$ pads on the D7000's. It tames? calms? tempers? the bass a bit - only positive, whatever it does to the bass. They help the sibilance as well. They also seem to increase sound stage just a little. I noticed all the same with the D5000's. I think it all comes from moving the drivers just a little further from my ears, and maybe angling them a bit?

Further thoughts on sibilance - the D7000's just accentuate what exists in a song. I think I had a bad run of music last night, I just shuffled my entire lossless play list. The difference to me, is that the D7000's don't have the mid-bass smear that the D5000's do, at least to me. Without the bass spillover, the sibilance is much more present. Basically, it is just masked a bit in the D5000's, and is front center and accurate, there for everyone (or at least me...) to hear in the D7000's. If the vocals or cymbals are sibilant, the D7000's show it.

I see the beginnings of a search for "excellent recordings." Well mastered, well mic'd, well recorded music. The D7000's are the most detailed and accurate colored (or so I read) phones I've had. I also have a recent source upgrade to the Musical Fidelity V-Dac, which appears to be a very "truthful" source. I think I'm nearing the top of midfi, anyway...

More thoughts on the J$’s – I like them! They are more comfortable to me, in the same way a firm sports car or truck seat is compared to a flabby low end sedan seat. The drivers are a bit further away, so they are les fatiguing to me, along with the comments noted above regarding driver position. They are firmer, and deeper, so the clamp on the headband is ever so slightly more secure, in a good way. There are definite sonic benefits to my ears.

I was giving serious thoughts to Markl’ing the D5000’s, either instead of getting the D7000’s, or since I now have the D7000’s, doing it to determine which I like better. For my tastes, I think the D7000 gets me most of the way there. I may experiment with a bit of damping later, or not.

Lastly, what is with the right ear cup to headband screw in Denons? Brand new, out of the box it is loose. Same with the D5000’s! The only decent way to tighten it is to remove the wood cup so as not to mar it up. Sheesh! I know it’s not that hard to deal with – a little lock-tite would solve the issue from the factory, instead of from my garage…

End Result? My D5000’s are for sale, I’m keeping the D7000’s.

Feb 20, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #1,648 of 7,457
Sir, you are evil because I also want to sell d5000 and buy d7000
tongue.gif

Feb 20, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #1,649 of 7,457
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nachkebia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sir, you are evil because I also want to sell d5000 and buy d7000
tongue.gif

Sorry. NOT! Worth it to me. I figure it cost me another $3xx over the D5000's, depending on what they sell for. A bunch of people seem to be trying the D7000's lately. There may be a few pair come up used in the next few weeks...

Feb 21, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #1,650 of 7,457
Quote:

I'm back again. I put the J$ pads on the D7000's. It tames? calms? tempers? the bass a bit - only positive, whatever it does to the bass. They help the sibilance as well. They also seem to increase sound stage just a little. I noticed all the same with the D5000's. I think it all comes from moving the drivers just a little further from my ears, and maybe angling them a bit?

Further thoughts on sibilance - the D7000's just accentuate what exists in a song. I think I had a bad run of music last night, I just shuffled my entire lossless play list. The difference to me, is that the D7000's don't have the mid-bass smear that the D5000's do, at least to me. Without the bass spillover, the sibilance is much more present. Basically, it is just masked a bit in the D5000's, and is front center and accurate, there for everyone (or at least me...) to hear in the D7000's. If the vocals or cymbals are sibilant, the D7000's show it.

Yeah, I also notice sibilance with my D7000s. I've EQ'd 5kHz and 7kHz down 2dB and it helps with a lot of songs. I do agree that if a song has sibilance, the D7000s will bring it out. Pink Floyd is never sibilant, but sometimes it's hard to listen to Pearl Jam. Such a shame since Eddie Vedder is one of my favorite singers.

I'm glad to hear that the J$ pads help with the sibilance. I received my pair last Tuesday but I haven't been able to get the stock pads off (finger injury has left my right hand nearly unusable for a while) but I'm patiently waiting for the chance to make the swap. Until then I'm just rolling tubes and seeing what kind of changes they make with the D7000s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back