Denon AH-D7000
Jan 3, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #7,306 of 7,457
Anyways...for joining this thread late, I wonder what "preventive measures"
you guys have thought of, since the Denons are at their end of life.

I hope it's not too late to start some modding on my ah-d7Ks !

It's never too late to mods these gems!  Lawton can do his damping mods (or you can do them yourself), you can swap cups out (I have deeper than stock Teak cups made by a HeadFi member from SE Asia), put Lawton angle pads on it and even swap the cable if you want.  I had BTG audio put a 5' Q French Silk cable on mine a couple of years back.  Love this headphone. 

Jan 4, 2017 at 4:12 AM Post #7,307 of 7,457
In term of fidelity, is th900 consider to be superior to the d7000?

Technically, yes, by a significant margin. The TH900 images much better and has a noticeably wider and more importantly, deeper soundstage. It's difficult to hear depth with the 7000, but it's immediately perceptible on the TH900. Transparency and resolution are also a class above on he Fostex. A lot of owners of both the HD800 and the TH900 agree that the Fostex can punch with the 800 in resolution and detail, and I agree. I doubt that anyone would make the same claim about the D7000. With a much stronger magnet and better stock damping, the 900's bass is much better controlled, but the 7000 hits harder and is so much fun. It's extremely satisfying for action movies and bass heavy content.

Tonal balance isn't too dissimilar. Most people listen mostly for tonal balance and not the other technical areas that I've mentioned above. No one will be able to tell you if the price difference is worth it because your hearing, taste, and level of discernment are yours alone. Given that the 900 can be had used for only around $150-200 more than the 7000, it's a much easier choice than it was when the Fostex was released at over $2k. The D7000 is still one hell of a can, and I can imagine more than a few listeners still being perfectly happy with it.

Jan 4, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #7,309 of 7,457
I also own the D7000s... And expect to own the Z1Rs. Really hope it is worth the upgrade.

Enviado desde mi H1

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #7,310 of 7,457
I just bought Brainwavz HM5 Angled Pads, after confirming with Tangster.
Obviously the oval earpads are not conforming to the shape of AH-D7000s. It hardly fit the plastic ring. 
Did I just made a blind purchase? 

Jan 12, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #7,311 of 7,457

It's never too late to mods these gems!  Lawton can do his damping mods (or you can do them yourself), you can swap cups out (I have deeper than stock Teak cups made by a HeadFi member from SE Asia), put Lawton angle pads on it and even swap the cable if you want.  I had BTG audio put a 5' Q French Silk cable on mine a couple of years back.  Love this headphone. 

Totally agree. LA-7000s were great. Had the filigree missing in LA-2000, but for some reason, I remember LA-2000s had more of a visceral whomp to the sound. The fact that you can pick up these Denons at current prices in used market is a boon.

Jan 15, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #7,312 of 7,457
  I just bought Brainwavz HM5 Angled Pads, after confirming with @Tangster.
Obviously the oval earpads are not conforming to the shape of AH-D7000s. It hardly fit the plastic ring. 
Did I just made a blind purchase? 

They're very tight, much like putting shure pads onto the ring. The Alpha pads are much easier to fit onto the mounting ring (and imo, sound better and feel more comfortable).

Jan 15, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #7,313 of 7,457
They're very tight, much like putting shure pads onto the ring. The Alpha pads are much easier to fit onto the mounting ring (and imo, sound better and feel more comfortable).

The dimensions are way off, I don't think the HM5 is meant for usage w/ the Denons. It just looks too odd.
I have to return them I guess. I'm going for circular pads with better fitment. What other options do I have?

Jan 16, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #7,314 of 7,457
The dimensions are way off, I don't think the HM5 is meant for usage w/ the Denons. It just looks too odd.
I have to return them I guess. I'm going for circular pads with better fitment. What other options do I have?

Ahh, that sucks then.

I can only recommend the alphas or the lawton pads in that case.

Here's my set of Alpha pads on the denon rings.

Jan 31, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #7,315 of 7,457
 I thought about sending them over to Lawton Audio to be worked on.  Anyone do any of the upgrades from him?  Any thoughts on how it changes the overall sonic signature of these headphones?  

Oh I have the AH-D7000 model.

Jan 31, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #7,317 of 7,457
Jan 31, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #7,318 of 7,457

instructions for how to open up these headphones safely to take a look?

Press the pads into the cup and twist anticlockwise to remove them.

If you want to look at the inside of the cups, the screws under the earpad ring holes retain the earcups on. The screws flush with the metal hole the driver in.

Feb 12, 2017 at 2:19 AM Post #7,319 of 7,457
Does anybody know how to get a replacement for the dampers / dampening ring? Mine has terribly degraded and turned flaky ...

Feb 15, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #7,320 of 7,457
Can anyone please offer some suggestions on how to reduce the sound leakage. I rarely use my D7000 because I don't want to disturb people around me. How much improvement would I get with upgrade pads? Which pads would be best for reducing sound leakage? Any simple diy mods? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back