Denon AH-D7000
Jul 14, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #1,216 of 7,457
Quote:

Originally Posted by Runkby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what kind of connections are you getting... b/c i may have moon reterminate my cable on the d7000s with one of their higher end cables but i am not sure if i should get it done with a pair of 3pin xlr's or a single 4pin xlr b/c the amp im prob going to get will have both...

Think about your pin out carefully. I did mine initially in Dual 3 pin because I felt that if I were to hook into a different amp it would most likely be 3 pin. But now I think I should have done 4 pin and made a 4 pin to 3 pin adapter. The 4 pin is lighter and easier to deal with to me. So, I'm going to reterm everything. So I would need a 4 to dual 3 pin and a 4 to SE adapter to cover the waterfront.

Jul 14, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #1,217 of 7,457
Quote:

what kind of connections are you getting... b/c i may have moon reterminate my cable on the d7000s with one of their higher end cables but i am not sure if i should get it done with a pair of 3pin xlr's or a single 4pin xlr b/c the amp im prob going to get will have both...

I actually left the choice of 2x3 or 1x4 up to Drew at Moon Audio. The reason I left it up to him is the cable that I'm using is a little unconventional. It's stiffer and not a 4 conductor wire that can be split at the Y. We are actually using two 3 meter sections of a twisted pair wire. So in all likelihood it'll be done to 2x3 pin XLR's, not because it's what I want but because it's what will work best.

I will of course make two adapters out of the same high grade cable. 1 – 2x3 pin XLR to 1x4 pin xlr and also a 2x3 pin XLR to 1x 1/4” TRS plug. This way I'll be able to use the headphones with every amplifier that I'll ever want to try.

Jul 14, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #1,220 of 7,457
i am considering getting the woo audio 22... im still doing research but that seems to be my favorite choice at the moment... any suggestions for other options or am i thinking of the right amp?

Jul 14, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #1,221 of 7,457
Quote:

i am considering getting the woo audio 22... im still doing research but that seems to be my favorite choice at the moment... any suggestions for other options or am i thinking of the right amp?

I believe that the WA22 is not in production, yet. If you want balanced and tubes there aren't many choices. What else is there besides the B52? Maybe the DNA Sonett, but is it really balanced? Edit: I just checked and the Sonett is available with Balanced outputs, but it is not a balanced amplifier. It derives it's balanced outputs with the use of Transformers. It is actually a Single Ended Amplifier. I'm not saying that it isn't a great amp, just that it is not a balanced amplifier.

I'm sure the WA22 will sound marvelous, I know my GES does. I can also recommend the solid state Audio-gd Phoenix as a less expensive choice that does offer exceptional performance (With the 7000's single ended).

I'll be sure to let everyone know the results of my balancing the 7000's.

Jul 16, 2009 at 11:34 AM Post #1,224 of 7,457
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddy Flycatcher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone ever tried a Corda Symphony.2 with the D7000?

I have both the Symphony & D7000.

What do you want to know?

Jul 17, 2009 at 12:53 PM Post #1,226 of 7,457
Even if you can't compare the 3Move to the Symphony (high-end) they do share the transparent and neutral sound, but on different levels.

The combo Symphony/D7000 are to my ears a very balanced setup. My ears are picky about that. For exampel the combo 3Move/D7000 sounds bad to my ears, driving D7000 directly from the Ipod Classic was better (but not good).

The music presentation from Symphony/D7000 are very transparent (airy), detailed, clean (pure) and with a very low noise floor. At first this can be rather odd, but with the Symphony you hear only the music (almost). Of course your source will add some garbage to the sound. With my NAD CD-Player > optical > Symphony the sound is very clear and neutral.

The D7000 plays as a full range speaker system with a sub. You feel you don't miss anything of the music.

The music presentation seems to be very easy and effortless from the Symphony/D7000. I believe you can't go wrong with the Symphony if you think about pairing it with full-sized (over-ear) high-end HPs like the D7000.

In the same time the D7000 are very detailed up your face, not as the laid back hd650 and with a wider soundstage. I see in your profile you play the bass. With the D7000 you easily hear that bass play, and I love it!

I am not a tube-person either, the Symphony gives me that HQ neutral sound I desire. The D7000 gives me the sound (color) I love.

If you think the Symphony is for you, I recommend reading the Symphony thread. The only negative I can think of is the dropouts then using the coax-input. But this dosn't happen to every Symphony owner.

Of course this happend to me, but it's really not a big problem, as I use the USB and optical inputs, and now I see Jan Meier improved the Symphony to Symphony.2 and reducing dropouts by 90%.

I wanted to improve the Symphony's sound qualities and I read the Symphony do react positive to good power cables. I bought the van den Hul Mainsserver Hybrid 2.5 meter. The cable will clean up the mains (two-way). The filtering effect is greater if the cable is longer. And guess what? No more dropouts for me!

Of course there's no guarantee this will work for everybody.

If you want more information about the Symphony/D7000 combo please post again, I am sure I left something out.

Jul 18, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #1,227 of 7,457
I ordered a pair from JR yesterday and they shipped today. When I called I mentioned the $549 price and the salesman put me on hold then came back and said $600. I then mentioned I'm a member of Head-Fi and he quickly agreed to the lower price.

I will be using them with a MacBook Aluminum hooked to a Devilsound DAC going into a Luxman SQ-N100. Can't wait to get them!
biggrin.gif

Jul 18, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #1,228 of 7,457
I still got them on $575, I forgot to tell them I saw the price on Head-Fi, shame on me.....

Jul 18, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #1,229 of 7,457
Quote:

Originally Posted by CapQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still got them on $575, I forgot to tell them I saw the price on Head-Fi, shame on me.....

Still a great price. Some here on this thread have said they were able to get JR to go down to $525 shipped, but I'm very happy with the price I paid as long as I like the D7000s which I anticipate I will.

I love my IE8s and hope the D7000s sound like a bigger brother to those...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back