Denon AH-D7000
Jan 10, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #5,896 of 7,464
Quote:
Any idea of good amps for the TH 900's. I even saw someone on here a little while back reterminate it to xlr and use the mjolnir. Wouldn't that be crazy? I don't know if I could rock $2k headphones on a $250 amp, no disrespect to the asgard, I'm quite content with the asgard and d7000.

A few things, the Mjolinir only runs balanced...so that would mean re-terminating the soldered cable (something I don't do) and way too much power for these low impedance / highly efficient dynamic headphones. Last time I tried a power Schiit Amp (Lyr) with cans like these (Edition 8s), it blew the drivers. So I'm not gonna try. Your gonna want a SS amp with very low output impedance. That said, my GS-X (with newly upgraded modules) looks like just what the doctor ordered.

So it kinda depends on your budget.

Jan 11, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #5,897 of 7,464
Quote:
Quote:

The Stax SR-009 I agree are probably one of the best headphones I've ever heard.  I got "What looks" from people at a local meet when I was jaming NiN and Armin through them but man do they sing!  Grossly overpriced for what you get but price aside they are the best I've heard.  HE-6 are a close second too!

I would say that while the HE-6s are fantastic headphones (and in my top 5 or 6) the differences aren't close. I would put the LCD-3s and HD-800s in front of them (and likely the LCD-2s just behind them). Got a pair of TH-900s coming in, we'll see where they slot into this list.

I hope you don't get carried away with good sound...and forget about us.
popcorn.gif

Jan 11, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #5,898 of 7,464
Quote:

The Stax SR-009 I agree are probably one of the best headphones I've ever heard.  I got "What looks" from people at a local meet when I was jaming NiN and Armin through them but man do they sing!  Grossly overpriced for what you get but price aside they are the best I've heard.  HE-6 are a close second too!

Like you, I put the HE-6 behind the 009s as well.  Also as others have said with the proper amp the HE-6 is very hard to beat if your name is not SR-009.  The LCD-3, HD800s and the T1s are a special headphons as well.  I just get more joy with my HE-6 out of a verity of speaker amps than I do with other headphones out of headphone amps.

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #5,899 of 7,464
Quote:

Like you, I put the HE-6 behind the 009s as well.  Also as others have said with the proper amp the HE-6 is very hard to beat if your name is not SR-009.  The LCD-3, HD800s and the T1s are a special headphons as well.  I just get more joy with my HE-6 out of a verity of speaker amps than I do with other headphones out of headphone amps.

Exactly, I heard them properly amped at a meet and my jaw dropped.

As for the LCD2/HD800/T1/etc.  I never really was a fan of any of them.  The LCD2 were "nice" but not comfortable and I still feel our Denon's "sound" better.  I don't care about specs I care about the end product (sound going to my ears).  Same applies for the T1 and HD800...I could care less if they're technologically superior if they don't have an enjoyable sound.  LCD3 I never heard.

SR-009 and HE-6 (properly amped) have both excellent specs and an excellent sound signature.

Jan 11, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #5,900 of 7,464
Quote:
I hope you don't get carried away with good sound...and forget about us.
popcorn.gif

I won't. 
size]

Posted some photos on the TH-900 thread already. More to come over the weekend (initial home impressions as I've heard them before late last year).

Jan 12, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #5,901 of 7,464
any uk headfiers interested in d7000?
there is one for sale on ebay.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181059921123?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Jan 12, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #5,902 of 7,464
Quote:
I would hope so, if you're paying for it. :p

I'm very happy with the M-Stage, and it's definitely a much better amp and a much better match with the D7000's.

Be sure to play with the gain, though. Try 10 and 18 and see which you prefer.

What opamp did you put into the mstage? I'm basically looking to get one specifically for the D7000. 

Jan 13, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #5,906 of 7,464
Quote:
I don't get it - everyone always talks about "upgrading" the M-Stage opamp. If the stock opamp is sub par, why do they use it in the first place?

It's not that it's sub par (I believe it is an OPA2134), it's just that you can make it sound even better with a better opamp. There's also the class A biasing mod.

The M-Stage is a pretty excellent amp, it's basically a Lehmann Black Cube Linear.

Jan 13, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #5,907 of 7,464
Quote:
I'll be keeping an eye on that. Might finally finish the collection.

best of luck.
i put in a cheaky bid, with a view to selling them on, but was soon out-bid.
will be interested to see what they fetch, though.
my guess is £450+

Jan 13, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #5,908 of 7,464
How expensive do you think the D7000 will get on the FS Forum with time? Now that their discontinued and pretty much impossible to get a brand new pair, anyone think they will ever sell for $1k or around their original retail price? 

Jan 13, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #5,910 of 7,464
Quote:
Potentially. It depends on whether they stay "popular", and whether another similar headphone comes in to take its place (like the Fostex TH600).

is the th600 comparable to the d7k?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back