Denon AH-D7000
Dec 7, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #5,747 of 7,457
I've only been back into headphones for a year after a 30+ year hiatus and have tried many of
the "up to 1k" offerings from Audeze and Hifiman.  For some reason, the cans that remain are
my D7000's, HD650's and a recent pair of Koss ESP-950's.  There's something about those 7000's (I know...preaching to the choir) that keeps me coming back.  Love them on my headroom home and the Woo WA6.  If I upgrade anything, it will be amplification and cabling on the D7000.
Great thread!
Hibuck....

Dec 7, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #5,748 of 7,457
Long live the D7000!
beerchug.gif

Dec 7, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #5,749 of 7,457
When i first compared the D2000 and D7000 I could barely tell the difference. It was only after spending more time with both that the differences started standing out. The D7000 is just cleaner and clearer sounding (like lifting that cliched veil) with tighter better defined bass - I really cannot listen to the D2000 now because they remind me of what I'm missing.

I keep trying other headphones and keep coming back to my D7000s. :D

Dec 7, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #5,750 of 7,457
Because fellow members had me greatly concerned my new OTL amp would not sound good with my D7000, I went Senn, Audez'e, Beyer and AKG. From 50 ohms to 600 ohms. And I still prefered the lowly regarded 
rolleyes.gif
 - if they say so - D7000 on my OTL and vintage iron. 
wink.gif

Dec 7, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #5,752 of 7,457
Quote:
Quote:
Long live the D7000!
beerchug.gif

Did you get yours Lawton'ed?

A resounding NO. But, absolutely love my Zeus balanced cabling (4x22awg copper). Seriously though, I do have an open mind and love to experiment. However, despite these mods being reversible, I'd need an audition first. And that's sayin' something, considering all of my purchases are blind. 
rolleyes.gif

I don't want anyone putting their grubby lil' hands on my Bass! 
deadhorse.gif

Much of this has to do with my front-end being thinner and flatter sounding than with sources in times past. 

Dec 7, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #5,753 of 7,457
Quote:

A resounding NO. But, absolutely love my Zeus balanced cabling (4x22awg copper). Seriously though, I do have an open mind and love to experiment. However, despite these mods being reversible, I'd need an audition first. And that's sayin' something, considering all of my purchases are blind. 
rolleyes.gif

I don't want anyone putting their grubby lil' hands on my Bass! 
deadhorse.gif

Much of this has to do with my front-end being thinner and flatter sounding than with sources in times past. 

That's smart, actually. I went for it without auditioning first and it ended up being one of the better (audio related) decisions I've ever made. However, everyone is different, and I would never want to have to remove something like Dynamat from a headphone like the D7000's (that crap is too sticky!).

I can say, though, that in my experience it turned a great headphone into an incredible headphone.

Dec 11, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #5,754 of 7,457
Quote:

That's smart, actually. I went for it without auditioning first and it ended up being one of the better (audio related) decisions I've ever made. However, everyone is different, and I would never want to have to remove something like Dynamat from a headphone like the D7000's (that crap is too sticky!).

I can say, though, that in my experience it turned a great headphone into an incredible headphone.

After doing the mods are you finding them to be a little sibilant at times? I'm finding that on female vocals mine are starting to sound a little bright. Any ideas on how to dampen down the sibilance? 

Dec 11, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #5,755 of 7,457
Quote:
Quote:

After doing the mods are you finding them to be a little sibilant at times? I'm finding that on female vocals mine are starting to sound a little bright. Any ideas on how to dampen down the sibilance? 

Uh-oh! Just when Taowolf51 had my rethinking my D7000...sibilant...after my payment? 
blink.gif
 Now that I just received a pair of new holiday cans (HD650) over the weekend, I can now afford to be without my D7000 if I'm brave enough for the mod. Before then, I shuddered at both the absence of the Denon and perhaps, not liking them upon its return.

All things considered, are you happy you got the work done, elwappo99? Yes, I spent plenty of time on Gayley Avenue over the years, so I trust you. 
wink_face.gif

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #5,757 of 7,457
I'm pretty happy with my D7000's after the mods.  I'm not finding any sibilance issues.  I do find myself listening to them more than I did before the modification. 

I'd recommend the mods for someone who already likes the D7000 and wants to get the most out of them.  It's not going to dramatically transform the headphone into something it isn't. 

As a matter of fact I am planning to purge the bulk of my collection having started to put together an electrostatic based system that will be my main listening rig.  I am trying to determine which dynamic headphone(s) I will keep and the D7000 is still on the list as the potential keeper.  The reasons I am considering it:
  1. I still dig the looks
  2. Easy to listen to and comfortable for long sessions
  3. Quite different flavor than the 007 Mk II
  4. At least somewhat closed, so if I listen in bed with the wife there is "some" isolation
  5. Easy to drive.  I don't really need to keep any particular amp to enjoy them.

Dec 11, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #5,758 of 7,457
Quote:

I always found them sibilant, even stock (I'm very sensitive to high frequency, which is a shame since I love me some good highs!), but the angle pad mod made it absolutely unbearable, so I removed that mod. With the unmodded stock pads and MarkL mod, the sibilance was the same (if you didn't notice any before, I doubt you'll hear any after). If you do, you can buy something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/foam-2-Inch-cover-philips-headphone/dp/B003BRNZTM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355260245&sr=8-1&keywords=foam+ear+pads

And cut them to fit the inner circle where the driver is, I used two layers because I'm very sensitive. I actually did this mod before I did the MarkL (if I remember correctly) to calm the sibilance it had stock. The MarkL mod didn't do anything to the sibilance (add or subtract), so I added this mod back in after doing the MarkL.

Dec 11, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #5,759 of 7,457
Quote:
I found the angle pads made them unbearable sibilant. Without the pads, they sound like regular old D7000's with better controlled bass. They are perfect - $100 well spent.

Quote:

I always found them sibilant, even stock (I'm very sensitive to high frequency, which is a shame since I love me some good highs!), but the angle pad mod made it absolutely unbearable, so I removed that mod. With the unmodded stock pads and MarkL mod, the sibilance was the same (if you didn't notice any before, I doubt you'll hear any after). If you do, you can buy something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/foam-2-Inch-cover-philips-headphone/dp/B003BRNZTM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355260245&sr=8-1&keywords=foam+ear+pads

And cut them to fit the inner circle where the driver is, I used two layers because I'm very sensitive. I actually did this mod before I did the MarkL (if I remember correctly) to calm the sibilance it had stock. The MarkL mod didn't do anything to the sibilance (add or subtract), so I added this mod back in after doing the MarkL.

Thanks for the help guys! I was considering opening them up and maybe adding a little felt on the back side of the dynamat. After reading the comments on the angle pads i took my pad boosters off, and BAM! That sibilance is back to where it was! Although I feel bass had much better control with the pad boosters on, the sibilance was pretty irritating. I like this new sound though. It's not as sibilance, but still has an overall 'fun' sound signature. 

Dec 11, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #5,760 of 7,457
Quote:
I'm pretty happy with my D7000's after the mods.  I'm not finding any sibilance issues.  I do find myself listening to them more than I did before the modification. 

I'd recommend the mods for someone who already likes the D7000 and wants to get the most out of them.  It's not going to dramatically transform the headphone into something it isn't. 

As a matter of fact I am planning to purge the bulk of my collection having started to put together an electrostatic based system that will be my main listening rig.  I am trying to determine which dynamic headphone(s) I will keep and the D7000 is still on the list as the potential keeper.  The reasons I am considering it:
  1. I still dig the looks
  2. Easy to listen to and comfortable for long sessions
  3. Quite different flavor than the 007 Mk II
  4. At least somewhat closed, so if I listen in bed with the wife there is "some" isolation
  5. Easy to drive.  I don't really need to keep any particular amp to enjoy them.

Thanks to your comments, I'm going to strongly consider sending them in. How far did you go? Last we spoke, you were only getting the new angled pads. Seems, you got the kit...and the kaboodle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back