Denon AH-D7000
Nov 8, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #5,718 of 7,457
Quote:
Hello, I'm new to this thread. I honestly didn't have time to read over 300 pages, so could anyone tell me what are some of the amps many of you have found to be an ideal pairing with the D7000? I think the general consensus is that the D7000 is not that picky about amping due to its low impedance and high sensitivity. Having a low impedance would imply that it may work better with solid state amps with a low output impedance, but I wonder if some of you had success with tube amps as too. People seem to recommend gears like WA6SE or ZDSE, but are there other choices one could think of?

Formerly enjoyed my D7000 (Zeus Quad22 OCC Copper 4x22 AWG - XLR) with the WooAudio WA 6 Special Edition. Currently enjoying the cans with a custom built OTL tube amp by MOT 2359glenn. And a former TOTL 1980 Pioneer SX-D7000. Great match, great sound with all three. My initial fears were that the Denon would not do well with the OTL's high output impedance - was going on the advice of others. But, since I already had the pieces in play, why not?!

The lesson here is that sometimes, you need to listen out for two things: 1) the actual gear/pairing in question. 2) the sound of theory hitting the ground 
tongue_smile.gif
after you tossed it out the window. There's something about the Denon AH-D7000 that's intriguing. As well as the custom built OTL I have. It wasn't suppose to do well against the K701, HD600 & 600 Ohm DT-990 I brought in for the OTL shootout. It emerged as a front-runner with all genres inside my diverse music library...never looking back.
wink.gif

Nov 8, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #5,720 of 7,457
Quote:
Quote:
It emerged as a front-runner with all genres inside my diverse music library...never looking back.
wink.gif

Yes you do indeed have a very diverse music library.  If I do say so myself..
biggrin.gif

Someday, we're gonna meet and do food and music - love your listening sessions.

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #5,722 of 7,457
anyone pair their D7000 with a Little Dot I+ hybrid?

i've been reading that this doesn't match well because of the LD's high output impedance, but at the same time, many people recommend the LD with the D7000's because the "Little Dot I+ is specifically designed and optimized for driving low impedance headphones that require high current to perform to their full potential" (from the LD website).

i like them together, but i don't have much else to use as a comparison (i've listened to the D7000's out of a Fiio E9, which I find terrible - really bloats the bass). so i'm wondering if the LD is a good pairing with the Denon's?

Nov 11, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #5,723 of 7,457
Quote:

i've been reading that this doesn't match well because of the LD's high output impedance, but at the same time, many people recommend the LD with the D7000's because the "Little Dot I+ is specifically designed and optimized for driving low impedance headphones that require high current to perform to their full potential" (from the LD website).

i like them together, but i don't have much else to use as a comparison (i've listened to the D7000's out of a Fiio E9, which I find terrible - really bloats the bass). so i'm wondering if the LD is a good pairing with the Denon's?

Hybrid amps generally have lower output impedance than typical tube amps (even those with low output impedance by coupling output transformer), because they use tubes for input or voltage gain stage but solid-state transistor circuitry for output stage which inherently has low output impedance. Still, it depends on what amp you're using and I was unable to pull of any info about the output impedance of Little Dot I+. However, given the D7000's relatively flat impedance curve, output impedance of the amp shouldn't be an issue unless it goes over 30 ohms, at which the variation in dB between frequencies that renders minimal and maximal resistance becomes greater than 1 dB (the limit of discerning loudness by human ears).

Nov 11, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #5,724 of 7,457
Having owned the LDI+ and the D7000 combination for over a year, I would say the synergy is average sounding at best.  The main issue I faced right from the beginning was controlling the bass, which the LDI+ does not do a very good job of making it sound boomy and lacking in tightness.

Tube and op-amp rolling commenced and I quickly realized how little effect tube rolling had on the sound.  This is most likely a result of the tube stage being placed at the input.  Op-amp rolling had a much larger effect on sound quality and most likely due to the op-amp being placed at the output stage.  
The OPA627 made for even a more relaxed sound with uncontrolled bass.  LT1358 added way more bass than one would want and was the boomiest sounding of all the op-amps I tried. The LME49720 gave the best results, making the bass sound more lean, but still not to a level I was satisfied with. I'd classify that combination as a cold, dry sounding setup, with sparkly high's, although never sibilant.

The combination of D7000 and LDI+ was then sold to a good friend of mine who is in LOVE with the sound he's getting (he likes his bass).  He currently has it paired with the Russian gold pin tubes (one's with the rockets on them) and the LME49720.  Without any input or information from me, has found the combination to be the most balanced to his ears.

From personal experience with the amp and headphone, I would advise against the combination, while at the same time you might like it just as much as my friend did.  To each his own.
Quote:

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #5,726 of 7,457
The rants are the least of that threads issues... :rolleyes:

Yeah, that is unfortunate. I see the perspective of the OP especially with people blindly recommending amps, but a lot of the "requirements" made me go :confused: ....  Well, honestly all of them did to some extent. 

The OP says right off the bat that tube amps aren't recommended for the Denon D Series, which would seem to go against the experience of many Head-fiers so that thread got off on the wrong foot from the get-go. Although I would have to say that I agree regarding the WA22; my brief experience with that amp and a D5000 made me trade that headphone away. Right before I mailed it off I plugged it into the modest SS x-head amp and it sounded great, making me regret my decision instantly. Since then, I have gone through another D5K and a D2K which I kept. I will hopefully be re-visiting this conundrum again soon with a refurbished D7K...
:popcorn:

Nov 29, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #5,727 of 7,457
Quote:
The OP says right off the bat that tube amps aren't recommended for the Denon D Series, which would seem to go against the experience of many Head-fiers so that thread got off on the wrong foot from the get-go. Although I would have to say that I agree regarding the WA22; my brief experience with that amp and a D5000 made me trade that headphone away. Right before I mailed it off I plugged it into the modest SS x-head amp and it sounded great, making me regret my decision instantly. Since then, I have gone through another D5K and a D2K which I kept. I will hopefully be re-visiting this conundrum again soon with a refurbished D7K...
popcorn.gif

Nice! these D7000 are going to be hard to come across soon. I can definitely see how some tube amps would allow too much bloat in the bass range and make any can in the lineup unbearably bass heavy. The D7000 were one of my favorite cans when hooked up to the Little Dot MKVI+ I had. It was just a really great and warm sound overall. 

Nov 29, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #5,728 of 7,457
hey since the people in this thread obviously all like the Denon sound, any recommendation for good headphone gear with regards to gym usage.  I have the Denon AH-C560R right now and while I enjoy the sound signature (similar to the D7000) they certainly don't stay in the ear when working out whether I'm lying down lifting or doing cardio.

Nov 29, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #5,729 of 7,457
Movement is one area Custom Ear Molds excel, providing one has a good seal. My fit & seal was so good, it took a few days to get use to climbing up and down stairs racing to catch the subway cars! My sense of balance - while jamming - was all over the place.

Nov 29, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #5,730 of 7,457
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The rants are the least of that threads issues...
rolleyes.gif

Yeah, that is unfortunate. I see the perspective of the OP especially with people blindly recommending amps, but a lot of the "requirements" made me go 
confused.gif
....  Well, honestly all of them did to some extent. 

popcorn.gif

Since the re-cabled D7000 is my only premium offering inside the listening room, I couldn't help but ignore naysayers and output impedance. So, to better evaluate my OTL amp, I brought in a few higher impedance cans for nearly a month each. My D7000 at a lowly 25 ohms more than held its own. AND still remained my preference with the amp. I listened to a re-cabled HD600; AKG 701; Beyer DT-990 600 ohm.

And I especially like the D7000 with my 1980 Pioneer SX-D7000...dessert anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back