Denon AH-D7000
Mar 7, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #5,131 of 7,464
Yep, yep. It smooths it out. It isn't as dramatic as the D2000, but it is an improvement.

Mar 7, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #5,132 of 7,464

Quote:
The Mark-L mod is supposed to clean up the bass a decent amount. I haven't done it personally, but I bet someone here has.

Lots of information here at HF regarding LA7000's.

Mar 7, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #5,133 of 7,464
Had D7000 and sold it. Replaced it with an LCD-2v1 but after a few months decided it wasn't my sound and I preferred the D7000 so I sold the LCD-2v1. The new D7000 arrives Monday. I'll enjoy if for a few days and then send if out the be re-terminated with an XLR. I'm a happy camper.

Mar 7, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #5,134 of 7,464
I sold my D7000 before getting the chance to audition them with the NFB, but from what I know from either component's signature, they would match well.  You can also upgrade to a more power-hungry headphone with the 10SE.  If you don't plan on a later upgrade and want to spend a little less, I fully recommend the Nuforce Icon HDP.

Mar 7, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #5,135 of 7,464

Quote:
I sold my D7000 before getting the chance to audition them with the NFB, but from what I know from either component's signature, they would match well.  You can also upgrade to a more power-hungry headphone with the 10SE.  If you don't plan on a later upgrade and want to spend a little less, I fully recommend the Nuforce Icon HDP.

I would think that the NFB might be too much on the warm side for D7000's.

Mar 7, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #5,136 of 7,464

Quote:
I would think that the NFB might be too much on the warm side for D7000's.

The NFB-10SE is a neutral, if very slightly bright amp.  But I would never call it warm.   

Mar 7, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #5,137 of 7,464
The nuforce is in my price range, but it doesnt appear to be all that portable.
The mark mod ( i had to google what this meant) is way above my pay grade, and not something im going to do.

So i need some other opinions as to amp/dacs to connect to an apple itouch.
or...should i be considering better sounding MP3 players with the D7000?

lastly - do people EVEN USE an mp3 player with the D7000?

Mar 8, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #5,138 of 7,464
I have plugged my D7000's into my daughters Sansa Clip and my iPod 5th Gen and they both sound very good.

As long as you don't hear distortion or other obvious problems, I don't see why you would need anything more.

And least try it for a while and see for yourself. You can always buy more stuff later.

Mar 10, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #5,139 of 7,464

Quote:
I have plugged my D7000's into my daughters Sansa Clip and my iPod 5th Gen and they both sound very good.

As long as you don't hear distortion or other obvious problems, I don't see why you would need anything more.

And least try it for a while and see for yourself. You can always buy more stuff later.

I dont hear distortion, just bass that is ovewhelming and boomy. Im many bass heavy tracks (katy perry, Lady gaga, hard rock etc..) i have to take off the headphones. This being on a itouch or creative ZVM. Converseley Dave Matthew Live and other lighter rock do sound very good.

I just thought a dac would tighten and reduce the bass effects, without reducing quality and impact.

Definitly not looking to spend money...but  will if it helps.

Mar 10, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #5,141 of 7,464

Quote:

I dont hear distortion, just bass that is ovewhelming and boomy. Im many bass heavy tracks (katy perry, Lady gaga, hard rock etc..) i have to take off the headphones. This being on a itouch or creative ZVM. Converseley Dave Matthew Live and other lighter rock do sound very good.

I just thought a dac would tighten and reduce the bass effects, without reducing quality and impact.

Definitly not looking to spend money...but  will if it helps.

You are not driving them adequately or have a piss poor source.  Tonight I was swapping back and forth in the big rig with my Stax and, while the Stax was undoubtedly better sounding save for the sub-bass, the D7000 never sounded boomy or overwhelming in the LF's.  

Mar 10, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #5,142 of 7,464
Hi all. I'm wondering how you might compare the D7k to the planar dynamic cans, especially Hifiman He-4, HE400 and HE 500. I don't have the ability to audition any of them so I'd really appreciate any help trying to decide which to pick... especially if someone here owns both a pair of good planars like the LCD2 or Hifiman500.

I listen to mostly Acoustic, Electronic, Indie and Classical... assume the source and amp will be adequate... I'm just wanting to find out how to compare the quality of these cans without being able to try any of them... thanks in advance for any help.

Mar 10, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #5,143 of 7,464
The D7000 is a brighter than the HE-500, has more bass. HE-500 has better imaging and resolution, a bit more details, tonality is a bit more balance, and of course, darker.

On my rating, HE-500 is 9.5 and the D7000 is 9.25

Quote:
Hi all. I'm wondering how you might compare the D7k to the planar dynamic cans, especially Hifiman He-4, HE400 and HE 500. I don't have the ability to audition any of them so I'd really appreciate any help trying to decide which to pick... especially if someone here owns both a pair of good planars like the LCD2 or Hifiman500.

I listen to mostly Acoustic, Electronic, Indie and Classical... assume the source and amp will be adequate... I'm just wanting to find out how to compare the quality of these cans without being able to try any of them... thanks in advance for any help.

Mar 10, 2012 at 5:31 AM Post #5,144 of 7,464
I owned the HE-4 and D7000 at the same time. The HE-4 is brighter, more V shaped in that is has more mid recession than the D7000, though the open design really made the bass emphasis not sound as pronounced as on the D7000. The treble is also more sparkly on the HE-4. It really did sound like a Hifiman version of the DT880/990 hybrid.

I thought they were both fantastic headphones (my two faves), but catered to the same genres. I'd recommend some other Hifiman than the HE-4 IF you want something that compliments the D7000, and not battle it for the same purposes.

Mar 10, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #5,145 of 7,464

Quote:

I have the hE500 and D7000. The D7K has better sound stage more air and is fantastic for both classical and acoustic and pretty much everything. The hE500 is slightly more transparent but we are talking a whisker here. I use tubes and a good source for both. The comfort of the D7K wins hands down. Both nice cans. I think the overall presentation of the HE500 is a little smoother and touch more refined but pick you can they are both fantastic headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back