Denon AH-D7000
Apr 21, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #3,317 of 7,464

I can't provide any comparisons to any other HeadAmp products, but I have done done some listening using my D7000's from the Pico (Amp/DAC).  I felt it performed well.  The Pico is dead silent.  It's plenty powerful enough for the Denon's.  It's presentation is very forward and details are very clear.  Without sacrificing details, the mids do have a pleasant warmth.  The Pico doesn't provide a bass bias, but since the D7k's are great performers in this area I found that the lows were strong and you can get that bass feel we all love from the 7's.  All of this is from memory, it's been a while since I used this combo... So, not sure how the Pico stacks up against the other items in the HeadAmp lineup, but on it's own it does quite well.

Quote:
By the way, can you guys tell me which headamp portable is the best for D7000?

Apr 21, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #3,318 of 7,464
Some Denon photos.

That's my left arm, by the way.

My Denons next to my Nuforce Icon HDP.  Amazing synergy.  Yes, that is duct tape.  A friend made it for me to hold onto the tip of the jack since it tends to slide back.

Apr 21, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #3,319 of 7,464
I'm a new and very satisfied owner of the D7000's. They truly are a stunning pair of headphones. :)

The conclusion my friends and I have arrived at is that they are able to reproduce the sound of two 12" JL audio subs in a hatchback vehicle perfectly along with the smooth highs of a B&W speaker set. And the highs are silky smooth, with zero top end 'sizzle', simply amazing.
Or, if you will, a perfectly tuned home theater setup with Monitor Audio speakers and a 10" Velodyne sub.

These headphones are the sexiest I have ever listened to.

Although they cannot match the energy of my Grado 325's when it comes to rock/metal music. The 'air guitar' feel is just not there. Also, with metal, the kick drum and bass guitar tend to get 'mashed' together.

I'm currently powering them off of a Little Dot I+ and they sound amazing (mind you, I don't have another reference point).

The D7000 truly are a one of a kind headphone. :):):)

Apr 21, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #3,320 of 7,464
The Great hing is the D7000 works well with every amp except OTL tubes amps but on My Decware Taboo is as good as it gets for me and with the hE6 I see no reason to look or buy any more headphones. Feels goos being set with all the gear so now I just wil add more music. I would like a 2nd set of speakers again if I find some nice speakers at a good price I will bite again

Apr 21, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #3,321 of 7,464

Quote:
Although they cannot match the energy of my Grado 325's when it comes to rock/metal music. The 'air guitar' feel is just not there. Also, with metal, the kick drum and bass guitar tend to get 'mashed' together.

I'm currently powering them off of a Little Dot I+ and they sound amazing (mind you, I don't have another reference point).

The D7000 truly are a one of a kind headphone

Looking at your signature, I would say a source and amp upgrade would definitely fix that. But that might not be worth it to you. One of the things that's so great is, you don't have to spend a lot to get these to sound good. But like most other high end headphones, they do scale very well with amp and source upgrades. Mine coming out of a marantz sa8004 sounds killer. Everything is the way it's suppose to be. i have a few midfi sources and the separation between the bass drum and bass guitar can be a bit lacking with both of them being a little smeared together. But it still not as bad as most. Serious amplification will most definitely tighten things up.

Apr 22, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #3,322 of 7,464
I agree.  I have the original X-Meridian 7.1 with LM4562 opamps and while it's a phenomenal PCI soundcard on analog output I still prefer my DAC/AMP over it and my home theater receiver's headphone output over the sound card.  I'll recommend again the Audio-GD FUN.  Powerful and inexpensive.

Quote:
Looking at your signature, I would say a source and amp upgrade would definitely fix that. But that might not be worth it to you. One of the things that's so great is, you don't have to spend a lot to get these to sound good. But like most other high end headphones, they do scale very well with amp and source upgrades. Mine coming out of a marantz sa8004 sounds killer. Everything is the way it's suppose to be. i have a few midfi sources and the separation between the bass drum and bass guitar can be a bit lacking with both of them being a little smeared together. But it still not as bad as most. Serious amplification will most definitely tighten things up.

Quote:
I'm a new and very satisfied owner of the D7000's. They truly are a stunning pair of headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

The conclusion my friends and I have arrived at is that they are able to reproduce the sound of two 12" JL audio subs in a hatchback vehicle perfectly along with the smooth highs of a B&W speaker set. And the highs are silky smooth, with zero top end 'sizzle', simply amazing.
Or, if you will, a perfectly tuned home theater setup with Monitor Audio speakers and a 10" Velodyne sub.

These headphones are the sexiest I have ever listened to.

The D7000 truly are a one of a kind headphone.
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 22, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #3,323 of 7,464
Thank you for the suggestions moodyrn and N0sferatu, although I will be sticking with this setup for now as I find its got perfect synergy with both the SR325's and D7000. The Little Dot I+ is a great match for low ohm headphones.

An interesting variable is that both my friends who listened to the D7000's and are both coming from a set of Senn 595's thought these cans sounded fantastic across all genre's. To each their own.

Apr 24, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #3,324 of 7,464

[size=medium]

Quote:
Thank you for the suggestions moodyrn and N0sferatu, although I will be sticking with this setup for now as I find its got perfect synergy with both the SR325's and D7000. The Little Dot I+ is a great match for low ohm headphones.

An interesting variable is that both my friends who listened to the D7000's and are both coming from a set of Senn 595's thought these cans sounded fantastic across all genre's. To each their own.

Even though the D7000s are low ohm they still love lots of power and it does make a difference.  Many people recommend the NuForce ICON HDP but I opted for the Audio-GD FUN because the FUN is way more powerful of an amp and can really make the Denon's sing.  Consider it in the long run.  Plus it's a versatile amp/dac.  Speaking of the HD595's...hehe I'm about to give mine away.

[/size]

Quote:
Yeah but shes probably only using them because they are there... I have lots of friends who love my headphones but would never drop that kind of cash on them.

To them the thought is insane...

I bought my gf a pair of ESW9... wished she used them more lol. At least there are decent headphones at her place though when we study together.

Was a pretty bad gift idea though (wasn't aware at the time) but her hearing is not super good as it turns out. Huge history of ear infections as a kid due to abnormal canals... stuff that drives me crazy she doesn't even notice. Oh well... its the thought that counts at least... (i hope! :)

If you haven't been with her a long time maybe just offer her a really good price and tell her straight up: Look I was planning on selling these to get X, but you seem to really like them so blah blah. Still iffy and depends on her personality, but if she knows people are willing to pay X second hand and be happy she will hopefully realize the value. 

It is always iffy when you bring money into a relationship though... the barter system tends to work better.

Well I get home from work and I have a message on my phone saying something along the lines of I love these headphones...I guess since I don't use them too much and I'm not really strapped for cash I'll give them to her.  Gives me motivation to grab a pair of HD600/650 for classical...

Apr 24, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #3,325 of 7,464
There we go. Thinking of the future... NEW HEADPHON--ERRM, I mean a thriving relationship! :D

Apr 24, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #3,327 of 7,464
Apr 24, 2011 at 11:00 AM Post #3,328 of 7,464
Apr 24, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #3,329 of 7,464
Just to update a little, I'm a basshead and when I got these the bass didn't exactly seem lacking, it felt very thin. It was there, but it didn't have the visceral roar I wanted in bassy music.

It's been 200-250 hours now on these cans and I can safely say that there's not a single thing I dislike about them sound wise. Fire ones in fact that I don't EQ at all. The cable is a little troublesome at times, but nice overall. Comfort is amazing.

The bass really came out of its shell after some burn in and just sounds so good now. I love 'em.

Apr 24, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #3,330 of 7,464
Congratulations!  As I said in another thread, if I had to have a closed headphone, I'd probably choose yours even though I heard them un-broken in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back