Denon AH-D7000
Apr 24, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #3,331 of 7,464
You know what's weird? The D7000 has more bass presence than the HE-4, but the HE-4 has a stronger punch. Deadmau5 was giving me bass headaches with the HE-4, something I never had a problem with the D7000.

So now I know that I definitely prefer sub bass over mid bass.

Apr 25, 2011 at 7:00 AM Post #3,332 of 7,464
The double Ds. 

At work:

The Aamefford's packaged for the trip home:

Giving them a run at home with the Lloyd production of Macbeth. 

The ones at work have the stock pads on, but came with the J$ on the side, the ones at home the reverse.  I'm still out on whether or not I have a strong preference between them.  Stock pads work well for work because they're not as isolating.  The J$ are way more isolating.  There was a storm going on and the lightning out of the corner of my eye was more distracting than the thunder.  I couldn't be happier -- well if I upgraded the Shure 530's, and found the ideal amp, and ....

Apr 25, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #3,334 of 7,464

Quote:
What amp are you using at work? The iQube or Pico?

Right now I'm using the Pico.  The reason is my iMod hasn't arrived yet, and even with the ALO LOD the 6g iPod + Icube is not near as good as the Pico Dac/Amp combo. So evaluating the iqube is on hold until the iMod arrives.  Though I also have a headroom micro stack coming in this week where it ends up at home or work remains to be seen.  I'll try the iqube through that dac, but I'm more interested in the iqube with the imod.  

In a side note, I made an appointment for Wednesday to get impressions made.  I'm thinking 1964s will assuage my craving to upgrade the 530s, and empty my bank account enough to make me thoroughly evaluate everything I have and carefully consider what I'd consider an improvement and then try to achieve it. 

Apr 25, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #3,335 of 7,464

Right now I'm using the Pico.  The reason is my iMod hasn't arrived yet, and even with the ALO LOD the 6g iPod + Icube is not near as good as the Pico Dac/Amp combo. So evaluating the iqube is on hold until the iMod arrives.  Though I also have a headroom micro stack coming in this week where it ends up at home or work remains to be seen.  I'll try the iqube through that dac, but I'm more interested in the iqube with the imod.  

In a side note, I made an appointment for Wednesday to get impressions made.  I'm thinking 1964s will assuage my craving to upgrade the 530s, and empty my bank account enough to make me thoroughly evaluate everything I have and carefully consider what I'd consider an improvement and then try to achieve it. 

Jealous. I want a pair of 1964s as well...It is an investment though.

Apr 25, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #3,336 of 7,464
Got the Lyr in today! Putting in my first set of tubes was an experience. First thing I noticed was a hiss, but I kind of expected that. It's not even big enough to notice when listening to Solo Guitar though, so it's not really a factor.

Anyway. A/Bing (a small amount so far) of the D100 vs the Lyr, I rather like the Lyr. I've only been swapping on NOISIA's Split the Atom EP (just got it in FLAC, Yay), but the biggest thing I notice isn't a reduction in Bass, but a tightening of it. It's easier to hear the individual Bass notes, on the D100 they slightly run together. I'm enjoying that.

I'll get back to you with more later on.

Apr 25, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #3,337 of 7,464
I'm going to be putting my first pair of tubes in as well very shortly when my Lyr arrives. How bad was it? And I'm guessing your getting the small hiss with the D7000's?

Quote:
Got the Lyr in today! Putting in my first set of tubes was an experience. First thing I noticed was a hiss, but I kind of expected that. It's not even big enough to notice when listening to Solo Guitar though, so it's not really a factor.

Anyway. A/Bing (a small amount so far) of the D100 vs the Lyr, I rather like the Lyr. I've only been swapping on NOISIA's Split the Atom EP (just got it in FLAC, Yay), but the biggest thing I notice isn't a reduction in Bass, but a tightening of it. It's easier to hear the individual Bass notes, on the D100 they slightly run together. I'm enjoying that.

I'll get back to you with more later on.

Apr 25, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #3,338 of 7,464

Quote:

Interesting....

The Pico has been my go to work DAC/Amp for some time, but I recently decided to bring my Micro stack into the office and I'm loving having it there.  A while back a few folks in this thread were talking about how some of the high end HeadRoom amps pair well with the Denon's and it got me thinking about my micro stack  that wasn't getting much love lately.  I'd be interested to hear what you think of it with the 7k's.

Apr 25, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #3,339 of 7,464
I'm going to be putting my first pair of tubes in as well very shortly when my Lyr arrives. How bad was it? And I'm guessing your getting the small hiss with the D7000's?

Yeah, the D7000. Small hiss, but as I said, not noticeable with any sound coming through the system at all.

As for putting in the tubes, it was surprisingly easy. Just look for the missing pin and 'roll' it in there. I heard you had to push hard, but it wasn't bad at all. They went in a lot easier than RAM or a GPU on a PC. EDIT: Meaning they took less downforce to get to settle.

EDIT: Another thing I just noticed is how much power the Lyr really has. I see myself on the D100 with the knob at 11-12 (On low) or 10 (On high)...The Lyr's knob barely passes 9 with the D7000. This thing has SO MUCH POWER.

Apr 25, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #3,340 of 7,464

Quote:
A while back a few folks in this thread were talking about how some of the high end HeadRoom amps pair well with the Denon's

That's what made me decide to give them a shot.  I got them from the FS forum here, so a decent price.  Whether they ultimately end up at home or work remains TBD.  The amount of time I spend listening in either place is about the same.  I'll report back, but bear in mind I spend a lot of time listening to opera and classical so what I want to hear is a bit skewed.  

Quote:
Jealous. I want a pair of 1964s as well...It is an investment though.

Jealousy returned.  All your talk about the Lyr was making me want one, and I haven't even given everything I have a fair shot.   Since I'd planned on upgrading the 530s to 535s anyway, I decided to calm myself down and go for the 1964s.  Since the base cost is almost the same the extra is in the impressions, custom art, and of course the all important RUSH.  That will be a bit under $200.

Apr 25, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #3,341 of 7,464

Quote:
You know what's weird? The D7000 has more bass presence than the HE-4, but the HE-4 has a stronger punch. Deadmau5 was giving me bass headaches with the HE-4, something I never had a problem with the D7000.

So now I know that I definitely prefer sub bass over mid bass.

bass headache from deadmau5? 0_0

Even his newest CD isn't that heavy on the bass...

Maybe you were just playing the HE-4 too loud?

Apr 25, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #3,343 of 7,464

It may have been ear fatigue or something, but the bass came on strong with the HE-4, particularly on Faxing Berlin.... and I play it as loud as I play all my headphones. the D7000 has more bass presence and I never EVER get bass headaches from them.

Apr 26, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #3,344 of 7,464

It may have been ear fatigue or something, but the bass came on strong with the HE-4, particularly on Faxing Berlin.... and I play it as loud as I play all my headphones. the D7000 has more bass presence and I never EVER get bass headaches from them.

Maybe it's the way the HE 4 handles the super boomy kick in Faxing Berlin. It's probably the most boomy kick I've ever heard.

Apr 26, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #3,345 of 7,464
I just listened to it again and it's not bothering me like last time. One thing.... I just rolled different tubes on the Lyr and I THINK it has less bass than the stock tubes, but I can't say as I just don't have that much time with the HE-4 to REALLY say what changed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back