Denon AH-D7000
Apr 18, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #3,271 of 7,464

Quote:

I had the privledge of hearing the new HE500 when Fang was at my house and I will tell you it not in the same class as the HE6 nor was it intended to be. It is more designed for the portable ipod market and I will evaluate one in the loaner program but Shane if you have a vintage receiver your in business. The Outlaw 2150RR I owned could not drive them out of the jack at least the prototype ans I sold mine before the HE6 but I am inclined to think there is a op-amp and it not discreet. But I tell you the three receivers are all better than the 4 SS amps I owned including the Concerto and not by a small margin.

Frank. Yeah, my 2150RR could probably drive the HE6 just fine as it has more than enough for the DT880 / 600. At the meet I powered the HE6 with my DAC1-Pre. It had more than enough power also, and they were almost as hard to drive as my DT880 / 600... and that's what I was comparing the power requirements to.

I'm not in the market for the HE6. I don't want or need another open can (regardless of how excellent I found it to be). My D7k's get 90% of head time right now.
My point earlier was that the HE6 would be my pick, were I to do so from the usual suspects (LCD2, T1, HD800, etc). Comfort and sonics were wonderful, but they take some juice... just a cautionary note.

Apr 18, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #3,273 of 7,464

Quote:
Frank. Yeah, my 2150RR could probably drive the HE6 just fine as it has more than enough for the DT880 / 600. At the meet I powered the HE6 with my DAC1-Pre. It had more than enough power also, and they were almost as hard to drive as my DT880 / 600... and that's what I was comparing the power requirements to.

I'm not in the market for the HE6. I don't want or need another open can (regardless of how excellent I found it to be). My D7k's get 90% of head time right now.
My point earlier was that the HE6 would be my pick, were I to do so from the usual suspects (LCD2, T1, HD800, etc). Comfort and sonics were wonderful, but they take some juice... just a cautionary note.

For me I had only wanted to keep two flagship so I decided the D7000 had to come back home because it was closed and fit a requirement for me. The HE6 was better for me because of the sound stage that i felt was lacking in the LCD2. The T1 is a great headphone and had all the rquiremnts for me but the hE6 is more in tune with the T1 sound signature but bette. The HD800 treble spike was annoying on jazz horns and I also felt the build quality was lacking for the price I paid. I went through all the top tier ones boiught them all and these are the two i favor most. The D7000 is an outstanding headphone and I feel I miss little when I compare it to the LCD2. The receiver kick Rob got me into and I have no regrets. I now own three and will buy no more unless I can steal one like I did with the Sansui and SX650. Hell its like a cheap dinner but tons of fun and certainly no boredom. I have the Sansui G4500 on right now with the HE6 and like what I am hearing. I was speakers all day.

Apr 18, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #3,274 of 7,464
@ MorbidToaster

LOL !
Um... oh, never mind. 
wink_face.gif

Apr 18, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #3,275 of 7,464
Sigh, my headroom UDA sold over the weekend, so now my D7000's are up for sale.  They just weren't getting the time they deserve, strictly due to life's pressures and lack of time.  I've cut back to a more portable set-up.  I'll miss them, and I may well be back to them in a couple of years or less.  For now, I hope someone who will appreciate them as I do gets them.

Side note - for those D7000's lovers considering custom iem's - The 1964 Ears Quads come quite close to the D7000 signature, at least to me.

Apr 18, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #3,276 of 7,464
Sigh, my headroom UDA sold over the weekend, so now my D7000's are up for sale.  They just weren't getting the time they deserve, strictly due to life's pressures and lack of time.  I've cut back to a more portable set-up.  I'll miss them, and I may well be back to them in a couple of years or less.  For now, I hope someone who will appreciate them as I do gets them.

Side note - for those D7000's lovers considering custom iem's - The 1964 Ears Quads come quite close to the D7000 signature, at least to me.

You have a Nova...I've been saying this a lot lately...but...I'm jealous.

After hearing it this weekend I totally want one. It paired really well with the D7000, IMO.

EDIT: Thank you for the direction of 1964 Quad. I've been considering a custom for awhile, and the double low of these makes me pretty excited.

Apr 19, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #3,277 of 7,464

Quote:
Quote:

You have a Nova...I've been saying this a lot lately...but...I'm jealous.

After hearing it this weekend I totally want one. It paired really well with the D7000, IMO.

EDIT: Thank you for the direction of 1964 Quad. I've been considering a custom for awhile, and the double low of these makes me pretty excited.

The Nova is killer if you have speakers, and especially if you want a nice headphone amp mixed into the deal.  I'm not sure I'd get one just for headphones, but for the price, it is a killer source, and a killer headphone amp, so maybe I would after all.  It lives in my family room, and runs my Fritz Grove towers.  The headphone section gets used very seldom right now..  The speaker amp is excellent for the 60ish watts it puts out.  A real multipurpose tool for the audio guy or gal on a budget who still wants high(ish) end sound.

As for the quads - outsanding bass, and very slightly more polite top end compared to the D7000's.  I like them a whole bunch.

Apr 19, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #3,279 of 7,464
The Nova is killer if you have speakers, and especially if you want a nice headphone amp mixed into the deal.  I'm not sure I'd get one just for headphones, but for the price, it is a killer source, and a killer headphone amp, so maybe I would after all.  It lives in my family room, and runs my Fritz Grove towers.  The headphone section gets used very seldom right now..  The speaker amp is excellent for the 60ish watts it puts out.  A real multipurpose tool for the audio guy or gal on a budget who still wants high(ish) end sound.

As for the quads - outsanding bass, and very slightly more polite top end compared to the D7000's.  I like them a whole bunch.

Wow.  I am ahhh, speechless... Not just any headphone can make  cheese and salami look good!

Have you listened to any Folk music or Solo Guitar on the quads? Or heck, just more vocal stuff? I REALLY want a pair of customs, and I'm trying to decide if I was the 1964 T or Q. Is the bass Overpowering at all in the Qs? How would you describe the overall sound?

Also, the Peachtree pumped out enough power for the LCD 2 and HE 5 LE to sound great at the Austin meet. It's got a great Headamp section.

Apr 19, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #3,281 of 7,464

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Wow.  I am ahhh, speechless... Not just any headphone can make  cheese and salami look good!

Have you listened to any Folk music or Solo Guitar on the quads? Or heck, just more vocal stuff? I REALLY want a pair of customs, and I'm trying to decide if I was the 1964 T or Q. Is the bass Overpowering at all in the Qs? How would you describe the overall sound?

Also, the Peachtree pumped out enough power for the LCD 2 and HE 5 LE to sound great at the Austin meet. It's got a great Headamp section.

I listen to a lot of acoustic music, vocals, etc.  The quads are quite good for it, with a bit more sound stage than the D7000's, at least to me.  The only comment (not fault) is that the treble doesn't have the sparkle that some iems and the D7000's do.  The detail is all there, but just a couple or 5 rows back so to speak.  I use EQu on my touch, and I'll dial in +3 db from about 4 khz to 6 khz on up, and that adds the same amount of "sparkle" that my D7000's have.  I don't do this often, but on occasion.  The bass grabs you at first.  It is not overpowering, but pretty surprising to me for iem's.  I come from the Denon camp, I do like the bass to be there, but accurately.  The D5000's had too much and were flabby, the D7000's are just right to a tiny hair too much.  The quads are right on for me, and the slightly dialed back sparkle is better to me most of the time, as it is less fatiguing.  I hope that helps a bit.  Also, customs are a fiddly process, and fiddly to use, a little, but worth it over universal iem's imho.

Apr 19, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #3,282 of 7,464

I listen to a lot of acoustic music, vocals, etc.  The quads are quite good for it, with a bit more sound stage than the D7000's, at least to me.  The only comment (not fault) is that the treble doesn't have the sparkle that some iems and the D7000's do.  The detail is all there, but just a couple or 5 rows back so to speak.  I use EQu on my touch, and I'll dial in +3 db from about 4 khz to 6 khz on up, and that adds the same amount of "sparkle" that my D7000's have.  I don't do this often, but on occasion.  The bass grabs you at first.  It is not overpowering, but pretty surprising to me for iem's.  I come from the Denon camp, I do like the bass to be there, but accurately.  The D5000's had too much and were flabby, the D7000's are just right to a tiny hair too much.  The quads are right on for me, and the slightly dialed back sparkle is better to me most of the time, as it is less fatiguing.  I hope that helps a bit.  Also, customs are a fiddly process, and fiddly to use, a little, but worth it over universal iem's imho.

That's reassuring. I like fiddling with EQ anyway.

And yeah, they seem a little awkward, but like they'd be worth it. The process seems a little odd, but not too bad. Fill out the paper, get the mold, send it off, pay for extra fast crafting because I'm impatient, and BAM...at my door. lol

Apr 19, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #3,283 of 7,464
As long as we're slightly off topic...

On the custom front I'd say that the UE11 is another option to consider, but at a different price point.  Not sure I would say they sound "like" the D7000, but they offer great clarity and some awesome bass.  Perfect for the D7 lover, right?  To me they are as fun as the Denon in their own way.  I have some decent universals and wasn't expecting how much better customs can be!

Quote:
Quote:

That's reassuring. I like fiddling with EQ anyway.

And yeah, they seem a little awkward, but like they'd be worth it. The process seems a little odd, but not too bad. Fill out the paper, get the mold, send it off, pay for extra fast crafting because I'm impatient, and BAM...at my door. lol

Apr 19, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #3,284 of 7,464
As long as we're slightly off topic...

On the custom front I'd say that the UE11 is another option to consider, but at a different price point.  Not sure I would say they sound "like" the D7000, but they offer great clarity and some awesome bass.  Perfect for the D7 lover, right?  To me they are as fun as the Denon in their own way.  I have some decent universals and wasn't expecting how much better customs can be!

Yeah...I think I'll stick with the 1964 front...Half the price of the UE 11 is pretty appealing.

Apr 19, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #3,285 of 7,464

Not all receivers are equal.  My old cheap entry Denon AV receiver didn't make headphones sound as good as my mid range Onkyo.  While they might "amp" the headphones well you're suffering with whatever DAC and other circuitry that's inside the receiver.
Quote:
Thats your opinion. I and many others who have owned them all think otherwise. If yopu think the amping requirements are bad that is pure fallocy. My receivers all three of them play out of the headphone jack and drive them well. My most expensive receiver cost me 180.00 my least was a whopping 35.00 and they all work out of the headphone jack without the pigtail i own. I had the LCD2,HD800 and T1 in addition to the the D70000 and it is better than all of them and I stioll own the D7000 everything else was sold. Listening to them at a meet where maybe they were not amped properly is not the same as owning the headphone and having the proper gear for playback. Sort of like buying a Television who did not see and getting it and being disaapointed with the picture. This HE6 is a world class headpjhone and people here at my mini meet heard it on the Decware amps and agreed. So for a 35.00 Craiglist receiver klike the Pioneer SX650 which really shows the headphone and what it can do I do not think amping is an issue. What the issue is than the headphone amps made today are not of the same quality as the ones made years ago. They are mostly all op-amp based and the Vintage receivers are all discreete and of a much higher quality. Bright is not a word I would use to describe the hE6. Musicality is a better word with no coloration and air and detail that beat every other 1K plus headphone I owned. If it did not it would not still be with me. I owned and sold all the references. Spending a fe w minutes with any headphone at any meet never gave me the insight as to whether they were good or not. You need hours on any headphone before you can evaluate one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back