Denon AH-D7000
Oct 19, 2010 at 8:29 AM Post #2,191 of 7,457
Supertramp - Crime of the Century

I listened to it last night. This recording was made for the Denons. Impact, dynamic range, and solid bass. Wow!

Oct 19, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #2,193 of 7,457

Quote:
^ How about jazz? Does the D7000 do jazz as well as it does pop and rock?

While there is great validity to the whole concept of specific music for specific cans, I tend to lean more towards taste, mood and purpose when deciding on a set to wear.

Simple answer, YES. They excel at jazz and rock. For me, my tastes, etc.

Being that I find the overall sonic presentation of the D7k stellar, I find that there is little that it can't do. But that is more of a 'purpose' issue. Specifically, if I'm looking to do some editing, I'll switch to my DT880's. They Kill so much out there with their transparency and clarity and speed and brilliance that I find them amazing for analytical use. But for enjoying music, any music... purely, the D7k are hard to beat.

I listen to a wide range of music. Mostly acoustic: Jazz, classical (Early, Medieval, Renaissance, Baroque), bluegrass, folk... as well as rock & thrasher. I haven't heard anything through the D7k's that has sounded 'wrong'. Jazz especially sounds so good because of the D7k's sonority (slight warmth) and 'acoustic' quality.

Hope that helps. But remember... this is all to MY ears, and YMMV. (Gotta throw that in for full disclosure
wink_face.gif
 )

shane

EDIT:  As for the type of Jazz... (which may or may not be relevant), I mostly listen to classic (1950 - 1965) or acoustic new classic. No synth jazz or pop.

Oct 19, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #2,195 of 7,457
I have bounced back and forth in and out of the Denon line.
3 years ago I had ATH-A700 and was introduced to D2000s a friend had. I loved them so I bought a pari of D5000s and added the JMoney pads and a custom cable (Twisted Cables-Vortex) then after 6 months or so, I decided I wanted to try some more "refined" so I bought the AT-W1000X and invested in a Yamamoto HA-02 as they are supposed to pair up well.
3 months later (Septemeber of this year) I found myself missing the dynamics of the Denon line so I bought a pair of D7000s that are on my head right now. They work extremely well with the Yamamoto amp and the sound is the more "refined" (sorry but I needed to condense the details as I am working right now) and I would have saved a bit of money going right from the D5000s to the 7000s but life is a learning adventure, right?

So now I have the W1000X and HA-02 listed for sale in the forum and I have my eyes on a WA6SE to pair up with the 7000s....What a trip...

Oct 19, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #2,196 of 7,457
I am using the D7000 with my Yamamoto HA-02 Tube Amp (Pentode 408A , no feedback design) and the sound is very much to my liking. I am using a DAC Wow with Optical and for Analog (vinyl) I am using an RSA Nighthawk with the HA-02 and both the analog and digital sides of my system work very well with the Denons. For SS I had a Maverick D1 but the SQ is no where near the Dac Wow and HA-02 (the dynamics and headstage mostly).
That is why I was thinking of getting the WA6SE next. I'm not afraid of running tube amp with the Denons. I believe you just have to pick and amp that matches well ("I" driven instead of "V").

Oct 19, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #2,197 of 7,457

Quote:
Its easy to criticise the flaws in the D7000, but I would still pick the D7000 to express the live feel of pub rock performances over the HD800 or the T1 any day of the week.  The HD800 and T1 has its own unique set of strengths and flaws also, and are more suited for other circumstances.  But I don't think the D7000s can be beat at its price range for what it does well...not just live rock music also pop, R&B, dance and DVD movies as well.

See...I'd take the T1s for rock every single time over the D7000s. But for a fun change of pace the D7000s are certainly a great headphone, or when closed headphones are needed (like when say my in-laws are staying with us from out of town.
wink.gif
)

Oct 20, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #2,198 of 7,457

Quote:
See...I'd take the T1s for rock every single time over the D7000s. But for a fun change of pace the D7000s are certainly a great headphone, or when closed headphones are needed (like when say my in-laws are staying with us from out of town.
wink.gif
)

And your LCD-2's ? When do they get head-time... with everything else?  
wink_face.gif

biggrin.gif

Oct 21, 2010 at 6:12 AM Post #2,203 of 7,457
I got some Bubinga cups coming too, I don't mind paying $200 for a mod when I can do it myself, hope they really do improve on the D7000's faults, still a very nice headphone stock though. Got some of that damping material thrown in free, DIY is fun.

Let's see the result, anyone got the LA7000? Do they really improve on the D7000? Everyone seems to think so that has them. Although I think the stock cable is sufficient, BUT if I could DIY myself at a reasonable price, mmmm.
cool.gif

I have to say this though, when I tried some expensive cables for my HT speakers, it made zero difference to the sound. LOL. But thickness does make a difference to a point.

Oct 21, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #2,204 of 7,457

Quote:
I got some Bubinga cups coming too, I don't mind paying $200 for a mod when I can do it myself, hope they really do improve on the D7000's faults, still a very nice headphone stock though. Got some of that damping material thrown in free, DIY is fun.

Let's see the result, anyone got the LA7000? Do they really improve on the D7000? Everyone seems to think so that has them. Although I think the stock cable is sufficient, BUT if I could DIY myself at a reasonable price, mmmm.
cool.gif

I have to say this though, when I tried some expensive cables for my HT speakers, it made zero difference to the sound. LOL. But thickness does make a difference to a point.

I had the LA2000 Lite. I realize there is probably a huge difference, but I prefered the stock D5k to them and WAY prefer the stock D7k. Being that the drivers are the same for the D2k and D5k, the LA mod did something to the sound I did not care for. If it did (does) the same thing to the D7k, I wouldn't like that either. But I obviously have not heard them.

As for cables, I mostly agree. I think a difference in cables CAN be heard, but there needs to be a serious difference in quality for it to matter sonically, with diminishing returns as you move up. If your cables are already pretty good and are not choking the flow, the sonic differences will be miniscule (IMHO), but if you are starting out with crap #26AWG speaker wire and move to super HQ silver #12AWG, you'll probably hear a diff.
rolleyes.gif

I think the D7k has very good cables (quality, sonically), though I do think they are one of the weaker links in terms of durability - feel, etc. I'm not sure I'd ever hear a sonic difference by upgrading, but there might be an ergonomic or 'feel' difference.

shane

Oct 21, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #2,205 of 7,457
I'd rather spend moolah on getting a better DAC or amp, than fiddle with cables. The stock D7000 cable is very good to begin with anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back