Denon AH-D7000
Oct 18, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #2,176 of 7,457
Can someone shoot me the message for D7000 price from either J&R or Headroom, so I can call them and let them know what I am expecting?
Thanks in advance!

Oct 18, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #2,177 of 7,457
From what I've read, the D7000's bass goes deeper than probably any other closed or open dynamic headphone currently available. However, it is described as controlled compared to its predecessor the D5000. Its treble is also described as crisp, detailed and well extended. Its mids are generally regarded as slightly recessed.

I know that some of you posting here own the D7000 along with the HD800 or T1 or LCD2, which are all open backed phones. My query is whether the D7000's bass presence is too prominent for this phone to be regarded as having a balanced presentation overall, particularly when compared to these other phones?

Oct 18, 2010 at 8:52 AM Post #2,179 of 7,457

Quote:
From what I've read, the D7000's bass goes deeper than probably any other closed or open dynamic headphone currently available. However, it is described as controlled compared to its predecessor the D5000. Its treble is also described as crisp, detailed and well extended. Its mids are generally regarded as slightly recessed.

I know that some of you posting here own the D7000 along with the HD800 or T1 or LCD2, which are all open backed phones. My query is whether the D7000's bass presence is too prominent for this phone to be regarded as having a balanced presentation overall, particularly when compared to these other phones?

This is just one man's opinion...

The D7000 bass is not deeper than the HD800. In fact, the HD800 is deeper, more controlled, and more balanced. The D7000 upper bass is too prominent to be considered balanced. Having said that, I like the D7000 bass as well or even better on many recordings. I just wouldn't call it balanced or mistake the prominence for depth.

Oct 18, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #2,180 of 7,457

Quote:

D7000 is a fun can but it's not a balanced presentation I would think. Midrange is recessed, mid and upper bass too boomy and treble is a bit "hot". 

Oct 18, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #2,181 of 7,457

Quote:

The bass is louder at lower frequencies on the D7000 because they are closed. All headphones mentioned go down to 20hz, so they are on par in terms of actual depth in terms of frequency response. The LCD-2 has more linear bass, with less bloat, but less punch. If you like speakers, you will probably love the D7000.

Some will say the D7000 have too much bass, which they probably do to a degree, and others will say the HD 800 don't have enough... so really you have to hear for yourself. Perfect base IMO would be on the LCD-2, but the D7000 is a fairly close second.

How loud you like to listen to music will have an effect on the D7000, as well as which types of music. If you are blasting crowded music, you are going to run into issues with recessed mids and boomy bass. If you are listening to less busy pieces, you might not even notice what some people complain about. Also, low to mid volumes will give a pretty balanced sound on the D7000. Louder than that and it is not balanced.

There is technical balance, and personal preference. People talk about both as if they are the same thing.

If you look at the FR response of the HD 800, D7000, T1, LCD-2  they are all fairly balanced. Technically the LCD-2 is the most balanced, but some find the highs too rolled off. Some like the balance of the HD 800, but find the highs a bit strident...

ANY headphone will have its drawbacks and its pluses that will vary between people.

All this being said,

The D7000 is much cheaper, looks great, performs excellently for the price, and is closed whereas the others are all open.

If you could only have one, the LCD-2 or T1 are probably the best bet. If you want to work your way up the D7000 is by no means a bad place to start.

If you could tell us what you like to listen to, what your amp is, and how loud you listen we could probably help you better

Oct 18, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #2,182 of 7,457
I agree - I own and like the D7000, but the bass is not the "deepest", just up there in terms of "most impactful".  The T1 and LCD-2 both have deeper bass - I measured them.  And the mids are slightly recessed, and the treble slightly too hot, in absolute terms.  But they are a highly enjoyable listen!

Oct 18, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #2,183 of 7,457
The D7000 are not dead flat - neutral. The upper bass is slightly exaggerated, but they do have very good extension (while not quite as good as my DT880). There (as solilov91 points out) can appear to be a very slightly recessed upper mid.

All that said, these are extremely enjoyable and listen-able cans. The sound is very 'natural' and acoustic. They are lush and rich and beautiful and quite 'realistic'. My Beyers are sterile and neutral and nowhere near as enjoyable. I find them (the Beyers) not getting the head-time or attention they deserve... But with the D7k, I find myself actually listening to the music again, instead of all it's parts in an analytical manner (there is of course a time and place for that as well).

And a good part of all this is enjoyability... no?

shane

Oct 18, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #2,184 of 7,457

Quote:

How loud you like to listen to music will have an effect on the D7000, as well as which types of music. If you are blasting crowded music, you are going to run into issues with recessed mids and boomy bass. If you are listening to less busy pieces, you might not even notice what some people complain about. Also, low to mid volumes will give a pretty balanced sound on the D7000. Louder than that and it is not balanced.

I think this is an excellent point. I have noticed that the D7000 is a great phone for listening at low volumes, both because of this characteristic and because they are closed (they do isolate more than an open phone).

Oct 18, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #2,185 of 7,457

Quote:
This is just one man's opinion...

The D7000 bass is not deeper than the HD800. In fact, the HD800 is deeper, more controlled, and more balanced. The D7000 upper bass is too prominent to be considered balanced. Having said that, I like the D7000 bass as well or even better on many recordings. I just wouldn't call it balanced or mistake the prominence for depth.

Quote:

If you look at the FR response of the HD 800, D7000, T1, LCD-2  they are all fairly balanced. Technically the LCD-2 is the most balanced, but some find the highs too rolled off. Some like the balance of the HD 800, but find the highs a bit strident...

ANY headphone will have its drawbacks and its pluses that will vary between people.

Quote:
I agree - I own and like the D7000, but the bass is not the "deepest", just up there in terms of "most impactful".  The T1 and LCD-2 both have deeper bass - I measured them.  And the mids are slightly recessed, and the treble slightly too hot, in absolute terms.  But they are a highly enjoyable listen!

X3 for me too.
smile.gif

Oct 19, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #2,186 of 7,457

Quote:

The bass is louder at lower frequencies on the D7000 because they are closed. All headphones mentioned go down to 20hz, so they are on par in terms of actual depth in terms of frequency response. The LCD-2 has more linear bass, with less bloat, but less punch. If you like speakers, you will probably love the D7000.

Some will say the D7000 have too much bass, which they probably do to a degree, and others will say the HD 800 don't have enough... so really you have to hear for yourself. Perfect base IMO would be on the LCD-2, but the D7000 is a fairly close second.

There is technical balance, and personal preference. People talk about both as if they are the same thing.

All this being said,

The D7000 is much cheaper, looks great, performs excellently for the price, and is closed whereas the others are all open.

If you could only have one, the LCD-2 or T1 are probably the best bet. If you want to work your way up the D7000 is by no means a bad place to start.

If you could tell us what you like to listen to, what your amp is, and how loud you listen we could probably help you better

You've already been very helpful, as have the other Head-Fiers who responded. I think I have a sense of the D7000's sound signature. I mainly listen to jazz and am drawn to guitar and piano led groups. I also listen to other music genres but classical isn't amongst them. I don't have a dedicated headphone amplifier, and am reluctant to venture down that track at this stage. I just plug my phones directly into my ipod, laptop, stereo receiver and CD player. That's why I've been interested to know whether the D7000 requires a headphone amplifier in order to be driven adequately. Their specs would suggest not but as you say, it's really a question of how efficient they are. My other phones - Grado's, Audio Technica's and earphones are efficient, and I don't feel that they require a dedicated headphone amplifier to perform well. I'd say that I generally listen at low to medium volume levels.     

Oct 19, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #2,187 of 7,457

Quote:
You've already been very helpful, as have the other Head-Fiers who responded. I think I have a sense of the D7000's sound signature. I mainly listen to jazz and am drawn to guitar and piano led groups. I also listen to other music genres but classical isn't amongst them. I don't have a dedicated headphone amplifier, and am reluctant to venture down that track at this stage. I just plug my phones directly into my ipod, laptop, stereo receiver and CD player. That's why I've been interested to know whether the D7000 requires a headphone amplifier in order to be driven adequately. Their specs would suggest not but as you say, it's really a question of how efficient they are. My other phones - Grado's, Audio Technica's and earphones are efficient, and I don't feel that they require a dedicated headphone amplifier to perform well. I'd say that I generally listen at low to medium volume levels.     

The D7000 are efficient and will sound good out of everything you mentioned. They just happen to be current hungry and will sound best on a dedicated amp. All there is to it really. Well that and you ultimately liking them or not :p.

Oct 19, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #2,188 of 7,457

Quote:

You'll need an adapter (1/4 - 1/8") in order to plug it directly into your iPod or laptop (easy to find at Radio Shack or online). The D7k's jack is only 1/4, unlike the D5k which has a 'built-in' adapter.
The great generalization is that most (if not all) cans sound better when driven by a good amp. Hard to dispute that. It's also a given that all sources; from files (whether grossly compressed or lossless) to software, soundcard, DAC, amp, etc., all effect the sound, and the better the headphone (more transparent), the more obvious this becomes. So... if you have good files or CD's played on good equipment they will sound great out of the D7k.

I play lossless only. .wav or FLAC - ALAC. I mostly use my home rig with my D7k's and they sound magnificent. But there are times when I use my iPod (all ALAC files), and they still sound great. They are very easy do drive and the iPod has more than enough power to me. Obviously it doesn't sound as good as my main rig, it can't because what's driving it isn't as good... but it is fantastic nonetheless.

shane

Oct 19, 2010 at 6:05 AM Post #2,189 of 7,457
^ Thanks. I use a Grado 1/4" - 1/8" adaptor. I've experimented with different bit sampling rates and my ears can't discern the difference between 160 kpbs and lossless, so I opted for 256 kpbs as a happy medium. I'm not an audiophile, so I'm not looking for audio perfection but I do enjoy listening to music through nice headphones. 

Oct 19, 2010 at 6:21 AM Post #2,190 of 7,457
Its easy to criticise the flaws in the D7000, but I would still pick the D7000 to express the live feel of pub rock performances over the HD800 or the T1 any day of the week.  The HD800 and T1 has its own unique set of strengths and flaws also, and are more suited for other circumstances.  But I don't think the D7000s can be beat at its price range for what it does well...not just live rock music also pop, R&B, dance and DVD movies as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back