Denon AH-D7000
Oct 4, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #2,146 of 7,457
The Denon D7000's are just going to be a different flavour to the pro900's, I had to go to the LCD-2 to get a clear upgrade over my pro900's after experimenting with the W1000X and RS1i.   

Quote:
Would the D7000 be a significant upgrade from the Ultrasone Pro900 for use with electronic genres like DnB & dubstep?

I'm not actually unhappy with my Pro900, but you know how upgraditis is and the D7000 looks very nice! Obviously bass is very important and I have read one comparison on here that states the Pro900 has more quantity and slam in the bass while the D7000 goes deeper and is more focussed.

Has anybody else experienced both?

Oct 4, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #2,147 of 7,457
Well, after doing extensive experimentation with EQ and crossfeeds - I am of the firm opinion that the D7000s compete fairly in the upper league of conventional dynamics in terms of raw driver speed.  Using the JR Media crossfeed to expand the soundstage and a suitable EQ curve - it can do a very good impersonation of the revered HD800 - albeit just a hair width slower in overall  driver speed.  The details that are present in the HD800 is not missed by the D7000 in any way.  Actually it can do a shade tighter subbass below approx 40hz than the HD800s - if EQ'd correctly.  Sometimes an EQ can reduce distortion if people believe the bass on the D7000 is in anyway distorted!!!

Oct 4, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #2,148 of 7,457
Listened to D5000 for the first time(D2000 user here) and didn't noticed any significant improvement. Perhaps D7000 offers bigger "jump" in quality sound.

Oct 4, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #2,149 of 7,457
I heard d2k and d5k were suposed to share the same drivers and maybe other parts, but to my ears, there was definitely a big improvement when going from d2000 to d5000 : much better bass, cleaner midrange and highs. overall it sounded a whole lot better, really noticeable on my rig.
The difference between d5000 and d7000 was much more subtle (I had all 3 at the same time at one point, listening to FLACs and CDs - marantz cd5k + x can v8 at the time. probably the source and amps were bottlenecks to really bring the d7000 to life...)

Quote:
Listened to D5000 for the first time(D2000 user here) and didn't noticed any significant improvement. Perhaps D7000 offers bigger "jump" in quality sound.

Oct 5, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #2,150 of 7,457

Quote:
Well, after doing extensive experimentation with EQ and crossfeeds - I am of the firm opinion that the D7000s compete fairly in the upper league of conventional dynamics in terms of raw driver speed.  Using the JR Media crossfeed to expand the soundstage and a suitable EQ curve - it can do a very good impersonation of the revered HD800 - albeit just a hair width slower in overall  driver speed.  The details that are present in the HD800 is not missed by the D7000 in any way.  Actually it can do a shade tighter subbass below approx 40hz than the HD800s - if EQ'd correctly.  Sometimes an EQ can reduce distortion if people believe the bass on the D7000 is in anyway distorted!!!

The amp is important in this regard.  The D7000 is up to speed if you use a hefty amp to drive them - the bass slows down a bit when I move from my Eddie Current ZDT to something like my battery powered ALO Amphora.  With my LA7000 mods I don't need to EQ them at all, and I'm very happy with the detail as well.

Quote:
I heard d2k and d5k were suposed to share the same drivers and maybe other parts, but to my ears, there was definitely a big improvement when going from d2000 to d5000 : much better bass, cleaner midrange and highs. overall it sounded a whole lot better, really noticeable on my rig.
The difference between d5000 and d7000 was much more subtle (I had all 3 at the same time at one point, listening to FLACs and CDs - marantz cd5k + x can v8 at the time. probably the source and amps were bottlenecks to really bring the d7000 to life...)

I think the D7000 bass is more controlled, and the speed/detail is a little better than D5000. I did think the D5000 mids and highs beat the D2000, but the bass was more out of control in the D5000.  Out of the three phones, the D7000 is the only one I could enjoy long term without mods (if I had to).

Oct 5, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #2,151 of 7,457

Thanks for your input. Does anybody else have any opinions on D7000 vs Pro900 for electronic music? They'd also be used for movies and gaming too.
Quote:
The Denon D7000's are just going to be a different flavour to the pro900's, I had to go to the LCD-2 to get a clear upgrade over my pro900's after experimenting with the W1000X and RS1i.   

Oct 12, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #2,152 of 7,457
My D7000 phones arrive today. I am upgrading from the D2000 and I am anxious to hear the differences. I still have the D2000 around to compare. I am hoping this will end my search for a closed phone to complement my HD800s.

Oct 12, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #2,153 of 7,457

Quote:
My D7000 phones arrive today. I am upgrading from the D2000 and I am anxious to hear the differences. I still have the D2000 around to compare. I am hoping this will end my search for a closed phone to complement my HD800s.

Let's us know what you think of them. I have also recently bought a D7000 and at first I thought they sounded kind of very similar to my half LA modded D2000 but when I A/B them I realized that D7000 are much better.

Oct 12, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #2,154 of 7,457

Quote:

Congrats...they are wonderful closed headphones and quite a step up from the D2000s. As well, a very fun/bassy compliment to the HD800s. I

Oct 13, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #2,155 of 7,457
D7000 do make a good alternative to most of my other headphones. If only I could get the damn earpads off to try the J$ ones...

Oct 13, 2010 at 8:51 AM Post #2,156 of 7,457

Quote:
Congrats...they are wonderful closed headphones and quite a step up from the D2000s. As well, a very fun/bassy compliment to the HD800s.

I listened briefly before sending them to the burn-in bench. I spent the rest of the evening wondering if I would be able to go back and forth between them and the HD800. Does it take you some time to get adjusted to one after listening to the other?

They sound SO different. The D7000 sounded bloated and dark at first. I took them off and listened to the HD800 for a while. The Senns sounded thin and boring. After about 45 minutes, the HD800 sounded like bliss. I went to the burn-in bench and slipped the D7000 on this morning before work. They sounded wonderful out of my backup rig. I attributed these fickle reactions to my own head not being adjusted to the Denons.

I'd love to hear your take on switching between the two phones. Do you have to get used to them all over again each time, or do you adjust quickly after living with both for a while?

Oct 13, 2010 at 9:41 AM Post #2,157 of 7,457

Quote:
D7000 do make a good alternative to most of my other headphones. If only I could get the damn earpads off to try the J$ ones...

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/264694/how-to-remove-ear-pads-on-denon-d5000#post_3364715

This is how I did it.

Oct 13, 2010 at 12:06 PM Post #2,158 of 7,457
Thanks mate! I got some advice from the other thread as well.
I have a pair of D2000 and the pads just come off easily with the press and rotate anti clockwise method. Somehow these D7000 seem to be different. My friend bought a pair at the same time. Both of them don't respond and just keep spinning (plastic disc/pad). Another head fier even kindly provided a photo with the pinching method. Again I tried and no luck. I'll try to pull the pads off the plastic first and see what happens.
I know a few people bought the D7000 from Magnolia during the half price sale recently. Does anyone have the same issue?
No big deal. I'm sure they will come off somehow.
Anyway, I do enjoy the phones even with the stock pads. They have a very evenhanded presentation with most music and very detailed. Not the most exciting headphones perhaps but everything is there.

Oct 13, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #2,159 of 7,457
Quote:
Thanks mate! I got some advice from the other thread as well.
I have a pair of D2000 and the pads just come off easily with the press and rotate anti clockwise method. Somehow these D7000 seem to be different. My friend bought a pair at the same time. Both of them don't respond and just keep spinning (plastic disc/pad). Another head fier even kindly provided a photo with the pinching method. Again I tried and no luck. I'll try to pull the pads off the plastic first and see what happens.
I know a few people bought the D7000 from Magnolia during the half price sale recently. Does anyone have the same issue?
No big deal. I'm sure they will come off somehow.
Anyway, I do enjoy the phones even with the stock pads. They have a very evenhanded presentation with most music and very detailed. Not the most exciting headphones perhaps but everything is there.

You really have to apply a ton of pressure to rotate the pads off.  What I did was what you said; I slid the old pads off of the plastic ring and then just took the plastic ring off by itself.  It was easier this way.

Oct 13, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #2,160 of 7,457

Quote:

I listened briefly before sending them to the burn-in bench. I spent the rest of the evening wondering if I would be able to go back and forth between them and the HD800. Does it take you some time to get adjusted to one after listening to the other?

They sound SO different. The D7000 sounded bloated and dark at first. I took them off and listened to the HD800 for a while. The Senns sounded thin and boring. After about 45 minutes, the HD800 sounded like bliss. I went to the burn-in bench and slipped the D7000 on this morning before work. They sounded wonderful out of my backup rig. I attributed these fickle reactions to my own head not being adjusted to the Denons.

I'd love to hear your take on switching between the two phones. Do you have to get used to them all over again each time, or do you adjust quickly after living with both for a while?

My D7000s are my closed headphone and optimal for when my in-laws from out of town stay with us.
tongue_smile.gif

They are quite different from the HD800s. Technically the Sennheisers are the superior headphone...but with rock/metal, I do reach for the D7000s more often. They work very well also with jazz. The HD800s are great with jazz and classical and prog. rock, but not my first choice for hard rock/metal. So in that regard they are very complimentary.

As well, I prefer my HD800s with my MAD tube amp and the D7000s with my SS Concerto.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back