Denon AH-D7000 or Beyerdynamic T5p please.... :)
May 17, 2011 at 12:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Canadian411

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello everyone,

I need your expertise on these two headphones as I am trying to buy a closed headphone.

Denon AH-D7000 or Beyerdynamic T5p

Any other closed can suggestions are welcome as well.

Thanks in advance.
D.

May 17, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #2 of 17
It's kind of hard to suggest something when we don't know what kind of music you listen to, etc.

I absolutely adore my D7000, so I'll go with that for now. lol

May 17, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #3 of 17

Quote:
It's kind of hard to suggest something when we don't know what kind of music you listen to, etc.

I absolutely adore my D7000, so I'll go with that for now. lol

You are right. I listen to jazz, pop, dance, trance and classic.
Maybe I should also specify that I am a bass lover too, kind of liked DT990 bass but treble is bit too much for my taste.

Thanks for the reply.

May 17, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #4 of 17
I haven't tried the T5p, but I'll comment genre wise on the D7000.

Jazz: I like them for bass centric Jazz, but it's very song to song for the D7k and Jazz. The soundstage is the biggest limiting factor, IMO for Jazz.
Pop: Excellent for Pop (at least more modern pop). It tends to be bassy and (mostly) pooly produced. The D7000 are pretty forgiving, and do very well with it.
Dance/Trance/EDM: They shine here. Like...amazing. Especially since you're a bass lover. It's too much for some, but the D7000 are amazing for EDM.
Classical: Again, like Jazz, they may feel limiting due to soundstage, and with slightly recessed mids, they aren't the best pair. With the right amp, they can improve for this genre. I will note that Cello sounds amazing on them though.

Also, check out my review (In my sig) for some more info (plugplugplug).
Quote:
Canadian411 said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are right. I listen to jazz, pop, dance, trance and classic.
Maybe I should also specify that I am a bass lover too, kind of liked DT990 bass but treble is bit too much for my taste.

Thanks for the reply.

May 17, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #5 of 17
Awesome !, thanks for your input.

Quote:
I haven't tried the T5p, but I'll comment genre wise on the D7000.

Jazz: I like them for bass centric Jazz, but it's very song to song for the D7k and Jazz. The soundstage is the biggest limiting factor, IMO for Jazz.
Pop: Excellent for Pop (at least more modern pop). It tends to be bassy and (mostly) pooly produced. The D7000 are pretty forgiving, and do very well with it.
Dance/Trance/EDM: They shine here. Like...amazing. Especially since you're a bass lover. It's too much for some, but the D7000 are amazing for EDM.
Classical: Again, like Jazz, they may feel limiting due to soundstage, and with slightly recessed mids, they aren't the best pair. With the right amp, they can improve for this genre. I will note that Cello sounds amazing on them though.

Also, check out my review (In my sig) for some more info (plugplugplug).

May 17, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #6 of 17
Having owned the DT990/600 and D7000 at the same time, I can tell you that you'll LOOOOOVE the D7000 if you even remotely like the DT990.

May 18, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #7 of 17
I have both Denon AH7000, 5000, and the Beyerdynamic T1. The T5 is supposed to sound like the T1. First it is not a closed headphone like the Denon. Not really entirely open either, in between. The Beyermeyer is a far more sophisticated and detailed headphone, the sound field is bigger but with smaller instruments a little further away. tremendously detailed. Given the right inputs, it is an audiophile headphone. The Denon technically is not hard to drive, but in realit is. If not driven with a lot of power it's balance shifts way over to the bass and you can hardly here the high frequent. This can be kidda cool with rock, not so much jazz, classical, world, etc. I finally mated my Denon's with a Violectric 180 amp from Lake People in Germany and it sounds great. So if you like bass Dennon, but if they don't sound right you'll need to amplify well. JDFlood

May 18, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #8 of 17
http://www.head-fi.org/products/beyerdynamic-t5p/reviews

May 18, 2011 at 6:03 AM Post #9 of 17
I have owned the D7000 and have the D5000, I love the Denon sound and prefer the D5000, richer and bass to die for (correctly amped in low gain) a friend has the T5,s and they are one awesome headphone also.
This is a very close call, these are right up there as the best headphones available .

May 18, 2011 at 6:07 AM Post #10 of 17
For jazz and classic, T5 will probably outperform D7000's completely.

But if you're a bass lover, loving DT990's bass, D7000 should rock your world.

I like rock very much on my D7000 (more then on my Grado's), but I definitely grab for other headphones with jazz and classical
Sorry if this doesn't make it easier for your.

May 18, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #11 of 17

Quote:
For jazz and classic, T5 will probably outperform D7000's completely.

But if you're a bass lover, loving DT990's bass, D7000 should rock your world.

I like rock very much on my D7000 (more then on my Grado's), but I definitely grab for other headphones with jazz and classical
Sorry if this doesn't make it easier for your.

Thanks !!!, both are great headphones, now tempted to get both if my budget allows. :wink:

May 18, 2011 at 8:02 AM Post #12 of 17
I have both Denon AH7000, 5000, and the Beyerdynamic T1. The T5 is supposed to sound like the T1. First it is not a closed headphone like the Denon. Not really entirely open either, in between. The Beyermeyer is a far more sophisticated and detailed headphone, the sound field is bigger but with smaller instruments a little further away. tremendously detailed. Given the right inputs, it is an audiophile headphone. The Denon technically is not hard to drive, but in realit is. If not driven with a lot of power it's balance shifts way over to the bass and you can hardly here the high frequent. This can be kidda cool with rock, not so much jazz, classical, world, etc. I finally mated my Denon's with a Violectric 180 amp from Lake People in Germany and it sounds great. So if you like bass Dennon, but if they don't sound right you'll need to amplify well. JDFlood

May 18, 2011 at 8:12 AM Post #13 of 17
^ and that's why I'm getting a T1 to have aside from my D7000
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #14 of 17

Quote:

The Denon AH-D7000 are not a closed can, there is a little gap between the woody cup and the frame (inspected by myself)...plenty of sound leakage, more from inside to outside than the other way round though...Once I even tried to seal it, it was like wearing in-ear phones...but definitely that destroys the sound so I took off the sealing.

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #15 of 17
I disagree. I believe the D7K's leak more in than out. Though I would definitely treat them as a semi-open can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back