Denon AH-D7000 Appreciation Society
Sep 3, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #211 of 565
I was serious. I do like my hd800 for classical or jazz for bringing out everything in the music. The d7000 are no sloutch there either. There is a difference when you listen to Beethovens 5th symphony through the d7000 compared to the hd800. Sometimes I want the extra bass to really drive and feel the song and sometimes not. When it comes to rock and pop, 90% of the time Ill go with the d7000. Maybe when I get the hd800 recabled it will even the playing field a little more.

Sep 3, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #212 of 565
Quote:

Originally Posted by argentum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
D7000 aren't exactly cheap headphones or did you manage to get them at bargain price ?

$550 from J&R. I just told them that other people from head-fi were getting them for that price because somebody else told me about it and I just got them in the mail.
happy_face1.gif

Sep 3, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #213 of 565
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel79 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$550 from J&R. I just told them that other people from head-fi were getting them for that price because somebody else told me about it and I just got them in the mail.
happy_face1.gif

Okay, I almost cannot resist the relentless drive to buy this headphone at this price. Nigel, can you please post your impressions? I know you just got them, and therefore are subject to new toy syndrome and lack of burn-in, but what do you think? Just so you know, I will deplete my bank account by an additional $550 based solely on your reply to this post.
normal_smile .gif

Sep 3, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #214 of 565
ooOOOooo good thread... A couple of questions: people seem to like the d7k for pop and rock which is what I'm looking for. The ad2000 is not cutting it sometimes and gets a bit edgy. However, I dearly admire its transparency, I feel the headphones really steps out of the way from the music, but that quality is not mentioned often in reference to the dk7. Thoughts?

Sep 3, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #215 of 565
I have some moments when I pause the music to look behind me for a sound I thought was my daughter or the dog, turned out to be something in the song. So I don't know if this answers your question but there is something to the out of head experience with the D7000. FYI, I had the same experience with HD650's.

Sep 8, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #216 of 565
Can someone tell me or point me in the direction of a thread that explains the differences between the D2000 and the D7000? I tried some extensive searching but didn't find anything that spoke to this comparison.

I've not been participating here for awhile, and been using a D2000 out of a first gen Headfive for quite some time quite happily--if the D7000 shares many of the characteristics of the D2000 but takes things up a notch--I may need to put it on my shopping list.

Sep 8, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #217 of 565
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomjonesrocks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone tell me or point me in the direction of a thread that explains the differences between the D2000 and the D7000? I tried some extensive searching but didn't find anything that spoke to this comparison.

I've not been participating here for awhile, and been using a D2000 out of a first gen Headfive for quite some time quite happily--if the D7000 shares many of the characteristics of the D2000 but takes things up a notch--I may need to put it on my shopping list.

That is exactly what I thought when I first received my D7000.

Sep 8, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #218 of 565
Just popping in to tell you all I really love my D7000s. For me, I heard the difference from the 5000's to the 7000's after about 3 seconds into both Radiohead and Björk, two of my favorite artists for listening to equipment. I also really love the real leather in the headstrap and phonebowls. I can wear the Denons for absurd lenghts of time, really.

But it's the sound that keeps impressing me. I haven't heard much difference from when I got them really, but they have been burned in for at least 200 hours. I did listen to them from time to time and couldn't really tell the difference. What I can tell is that I love the way they sound. They make the live jazz I listen to come alive with that fantastic deep and dark bass, with lush mids and sweet highs without them trying to kill me. I'm in the process of selling my semi-vintage RS-1's. Not because they're not awesome, but because I just favor both the comfort and the added "oomph" from my Denons.

I'm currently pondering what amp I should get for them. Currently using my pretty awesome Head Direct EF-1 with the recommended Mullard-tube (darn expensive but worth it). Kind of drooling over Woo's fantastic creations though. Anyone got any thoughts on the 2 or 6 SE for the 7000's? I'd love to hear about what amps you feel go well with it (and looks amazing as well) .. hehe .. bit of a designer-freak here.

Sep 8, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #219 of 565
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vargtass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just popping in to tell you all I really love my D7000s. For me, I heard the difference from the 5000's to the 7000's after about 3 seconds into both Radiohead and Björk, two of my favorite artists for listening to equipment. I also really love the real leather in the headstrap and phonebowls. I can wear the Denons for absurd lenghts of time, really.

But it's the sound that keeps impressing me. I haven't heard much difference from when I got them really, but they have been burned in for at least 200 hours. I did listen to them from time to time and couldn't really tell the difference. What I can tell is that I love the way they sound. They make the live jazz I listen to come alive with that fantastic deep and dark bass, with lush mids and sweet highs without them trying to kill me. I'm in the process of selling my semi-vintage RS-1's. Not because they're not awesome, but because I just favor both the comfort and the added "oomph" from my Denons.

I'm currently pondering what amp I should get for them. Currently using my pretty awesome Head Direct EF-1 with the recommended Mullard-tube (darn expensive but worth it). Kind of drooling over Woo's fantastic creations though. Anyone got any thoughts on the 2 or 6 SE for the 7000's? I'd love to hear about what amps you feel go well with it (and looks amazing as well) .. hehe .. bit of a designer-freak here.

I love my D7000s too. It seems like they sound better each time I put them on.

I've heard that the WA6SE is a great match, although I'm planning on buying the WA22. I don't think you'd want the Woo Audio 2, since it is OTL. Low impedance headphones require more current (I = V/R) so something like the WA6SE or WA22 would definitely be a great path to venture down, if you are into tube amps.

Sep 8, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #220 of 565
Thanks for great info, TheAudioDude. I'm extremely ready for the WA 6 SE, but I'm a student and I just lost 900 usd due to fraud. Still going to try to fund it, tho. I figure the new power rectifier tube is a must. Anything else (if anyone got any thoughts on the issue). Just the way it looks makes me warm and happy inside, tho.

Sep 9, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #221 of 565
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vargtass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for great info, TheAudioDude. I'm extremely ready for the WA 6 SE, but I'm a student and I just lost 900 usd due to fraud. Still going to try to fund it, tho. I figure the new power rectifier tube is a must. Anything else (if anyone got any thoughts on the issue). Just the way it looks makes me warm and happy inside, tho.

I am no tube expert, but I asked much the same question several months ago. People basically told me that anything OTL would be bad...kinda limits you in the tube arena, granted.

Sep 11, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #222 of 565
I may have missed an earlier post on this, but does anyone here own a pair of balanced 7000's? And if so, how does the stock phones compare to the balanced configuration?
I recall reading somewhere that the benefits of going balanced only truly become worth it when applied to headphones with high impedance. Something to do with the slew rate.

...regardless, I am very satisfied with these headphones and have no immediate need to change anything.

Sep 11, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #224 of 565
Picture017.jpg

Interesting you mention the Woo Audio for the Denon's Audioguy. I heard that these type of cans are meant for solid-state or a hybrid style amp. I got a chance to try the setup in the pic with my D2K's. Still though, trying my D2000's through this thing was eye opening, the bass especially was crisp and focused.
He had Juno Reactor's Shango playing through there which was the first big plus, bass sources don't get much better then that. I've never even seen an amp with a separate PSU like that before, amazing.
Anyway would, say the WA6 be the best choice for a Denon amp? Or would the tubes not be necessary as the phones are only 25ohms?

Sep 11, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #225 of 565
I did a retermination to balanced on my D7000 to used them with my Rudistor RP010B MkII. It does makea difference. The soundstage got bigger and the definition of the total sound spectrum got a lot better. I ma sure this happens becuase now the drivers are better controlled and are being handled with doble the power since both positive and negative wires are active and just inverted.

I have a nice collection of headphones and so far the balanced D7000 are my favorites. I ma receiving back from APS my Edition 9 recbaled and balanced. It's going to be interesting how they compare to the D7000 becuase before in single ended I like the D7000 better.

The stock cable of the D7000 is pretty decent and it has 2 independent cables inside bot with 2 wires each so the retermination to balanced is very easy.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back