Denon AH-D7000 Appreciation Society
Feb 20, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #136 of 565
One general observation: headphones that have good bass will almost always be classified as having a recessed or thin mids. Bass is the frequency band lower in frequency than the mids, and if you have good strong bass (as the Denons all do), then by default, the mids will seem to be lacking a bit because the bass is going to be the frontrunner. What I think is that people who complain about the mids being recessed are people that are coming from headphones with a strong midrange emphasis. The Denons are more neutral than a lot of other headphones touted as being neutral. I have my own home 2 channel system tuned to a frequency response that is quite flat as verified by RTA software, and my Denon sounds more like that system than any of the other headphones I've owned including the K701, HD650 and any Grado. I do find the Denons do have a tendency to emphasize the upper midrange which can make certain female vocals sound a tad bit grainier or sharper than some other headphones, but I find the Denon D2000 and D5000 to be very balanced overall. I haven't heard the D7000 yet but I will say I don't expect it to change that impression which is why I'm took the chance to order it without even touching one. Tyll said he thought the D7000 has a tad too much bass, but I'd actually rather have a tad too much than a tad too little.

Feb 20, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #137 of 565
So has anyone tried these who've also had the d2000 or the d5000? What does it do better?

Feb 20, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #138 of 565
Quote:

Originally Posted by ferraro25 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Problems that I have with the D7000: midrange is a bit lean, like the K701, but even more thin; a bit too much treble and bass - this headphone obviously has a v-shaped frequency response.

The thing is, those problems don't bother me too much because I am enjoying the hell out of the sound. The bass gives music a good foundation and the treble adds to clarity, and the overall fun of the sound makes me somehow forgive the thin mids (the K701 is not fun, IMO).

I imagine that the D7000, once it becomes more familiar to people on here, will become looked down upon by many of the experienced head-fiers. The sound signature is just too v-shaped and "clubby" (focusing on fun, "wow" sound instead of accuracy or controlled refinement) as someone said of the D5000. The D7000 would be a great headphone for someone starting out in Hi-Fi, given that. I think my tastes are immature enough for it to become my reference, though - its sound signature just makes me enjoy music; screw accuracy, this is fun!

I kind of agree with you, the bass and treble overpower the mids in both quality and quantity (not that the mids are really recessed or bad just doesn't stand out). But you should hear it with a different setup if it sounds too artificial or not controlled. My setup wasnt 1000+ or anything but trust me the d7000 can do all the "hi-fi" things like detail and control that a lot of phones popular here can do, it was refined and smooth throughout the range.

edit:just looked at your setup, normally I believe upgrading results in tweaks and slight improvements in your case it could be night and day imo.

Feb 20, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #139 of 565
Problems that I have with the D7000: midrange is a bit lean, like the K701, but even more thin; a bit too much treble and bass - this headphone obviously has a v-shaped frequency response.

I agree with ferroro25, but dont really see it as a problem.

I havent gotten a chance to hear d7000 yet, but i did get to use my roommates d5000 for a bit. Ive had a lot of experience with stax and akg 701 headphones, and comming from those headphones to the denon headphones is a day and night experience. both stax and akg present the mids much more forward with real refinement and precision. the bass was there with the stax, but no real energy or dynamics like with the denon. and the denons dont present the mids as forward or effortlessly. I sold my stax at christmas but i imagine if i had them now they would sound faster and more refined than the d5000 does. but i still really like the d5000 and think they are far more fun than any headphone ive tried so far. now if my d7000 would just hurry up and get here!

Feb 20, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #140 of 565
i seem to be posting dislexic this morning! and havent learned to quote properly sorry.

Feb 20, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #141 of 565
Coming from working with studio monitors - yes, the mids are a tiny bit recessed. If you have to nitpick, that is. I've never listened to the D7000 and felt the mids were recessed. But I know where some of you are coming from with the argument.

However, listening to a perfectly flat frequency response is not that pleasureable to the ear. If I had a headphone that was perfectly flat I think I'd experience fatigue within just a few minutes.
Also, and this is important - an actual flat frequency response is not flat to the human ear. Our hearing follow the Fletcher-Munson equal loudness curve (which you can read about here and here).

For me, the D7000's sound signature is that of a really high end hi-fi stereo setup. It's not super-flat, but it flatters the music perfectly without distorting it into something it's not. And for me, that's just as good as it gets.
And as I've said earlier, it's weird, but I wouldn't say it's a detailed can, but at the same time they've revealed more detail to me than any other can I've owned.
Just the other day I was listening to the track Big News I by Clutch. The song starts off with just bass and drums, but for the first time I heard something else. I couldn't pinpoint it at first, but it was really apparent. So I skipped back and listened more closely and could actually hear the fingers of the guitar player resting on the strings before it was his time to jump in. First time I ever heard that.

Feb 20, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #142 of 565
Sorry if this has been gone over a million times but there's too much here to read. Why do people keep saying the build quality is so bad on the ah-d7000? What's wrong with it?

Feb 21, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #143 of 565
The build quality of my D-7000's seems to be excellent. I have no idea how they will hold up over time. However; I do try to take great care of all my equipment. I have a pair of SR80's I bought over 15 years ago. They still are working great.

Feb 21, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #144 of 565
You must be careful with headphone, my track record isn't so good, phone will be lucky with no injury within 6 months lol...

Brando - did you not seen markl opening of D7000? Especially inside the wooden cup?

Feb 21, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #145 of 565
Quote:

Originally Posted by SleepyOne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You must be careful with headphone, my track record isn't so good, phone will be lucky with no injury within 6 months lol...

Brando - did you not seen markl opening of D7000? Especially inside the wooden cup?

No I didn't see the disassembly. What was the problem?

Feb 21, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #146 of 565
The internal surface of the cup isn't very well finished at all. Also the touchy issue re: leatherette ear pad. Given the initial high cost of $1000, people expected it a bit better. However, now that price dropped, I don't think it is an issue any more.

As to actual built quality, maybe too early to tell but no serious complain so far.

Feb 21, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #147 of 565
All I care about is how they sound, how comfortable they are, and how they hold up to wear. I can't be spending hundreds on crap that falls apart. If pleather feels like and holds up like leather than I don't care. But yeah, you'd think they'd be bullet proof for a grand. For a grand I should be able to stand on the things without breaking them. Not that I'm paying that much but that's the price that they have the balls to ask for.

Feb 21, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #148 of 565
True, but people isn't happy with the original price. Now market dictates price drop and all is well.

It isn't about bullet proof, it is just the expectation of top quality from a top end product.

Feb 21, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #149 of 565
The insides of the wooden cups are Un-finished for a reason. The sonic properties change when you finish the wood. Also I emailed Denon a while back and they told me that the 7000's are LEATHER. The 5k's are Pleather.

Quote:
Response (Ean Levy) - 01/14/2009 08:59 AM
The 500's are pleather and the 7000's are leather.

Customer (Lawrence Kuszmaul) - 12/27/2008 12:39 AM
Does the AHD5000 model have "Leather" or "Pleather "earpads standard. Also what kind of earpads do the 7000's have. Some sites say Leather some site ssay Pleather.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back