Denon ah-d600 review.
Jul 25, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #91 of 161
Hey Pedro, glad to hear you are enjoying your hd25s.
I've owned the Mdr-1r, didn't find them muffled, perhaps missing some high end extension and definitely no deep sub bass.

I've owned the sony v6 too.

The AH-D600 would be more comfortable than your other cans. It will have better low end extension than your other cans, it will also have a larger more spacious sound.

However it is a colored, and it has a recessed mid range especially compared to the hd25. The hd25 is colored as well though it has a neutral mid range.

I recently got an Hd650 and I can say it has that same neutral mid range but it extends it higher a and lower. Add to that it has some pretty good bass (better than hd25, momentum, mdr-1r) but it doesn't go as low as the D600. It does seem more controlled and accurate within its range and driving it from my Rotel it certainly has enough kick.

It is the best out of my headphone for certain. It needs a headphone amp. The Ah-d600 certainly does not. The d600 is also more comfortable. For listening to electronic music these headphones compete against each other. One gives your more detail and transients, the other more sub bass.

So to get the hd650 running it's going to be an investment. The d600 is ready to enjoy directly out of a portable source. So if you need a closed can at home, one that you relax with it is great. Your ears adjust to its signature.

The main reason I got my 650s were I needed a more neutral headphone for music production and I got. Agreat price on them.

It may be worth saving for something like the HE-500. Can you audition the d600? I bought them knowing that they were not neutral but would give me a fun and very good bass experience

Jul 25, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #92 of 161
Hard to believe you're trying to recommend the He-500 and Hd 650 to someone looking at the D600.

Let's get some things straight, with a headband, the d600 are bar-none the absolute most comfortable headphone I've ever worn. They're not the most attractive, but they're not ugly. It's a 'different' design.

If however, you're looking for something with a slightly more neutral signature, the Mad Dogs by Mr speakers are a great alternative, personally, I find them to be a slight upgrade in SQ and a much needed upgrade in separation from the D600s. The Sub bass is there, but it's not as loud. They're also much harder to drive and in most cases, you should use an amplifier. Although the Mad Dogs have a more accurate sound stage, the D600 do have the edge in size.

Now, with this all in mind, Mr Speakers recently came out with the Mad Dog Pro. Which not only extends better, but has a louder sub bass region, and a larger sound stage.

This sounds like 'the' perfect upgrade from the D600 and hopefully, I will have the pleasure of owning one soon.

Jul 25, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #93 of 161
Hey Pedro, glad to hear you are enjoying your hd25s.
I've owned the Mdr-1r, didn't find them muffled, perhaps missing some high end extension and definitely no deep sub bass.

I've owned the sony v6 too.

The AH-D600 would be more comfortable than your other cans. It will have better low end extension than your other cans, it will also have a larger more spacious sound.

However it is a colored, and it has a recessed mid range especially compared to the hd25. The hd25 is colored as well though it has a neutral mid range.

I recently got an Hd650 and I can say it has that same neutral mid range but it extends it higher a and lower. Add to that it has some pretty good bass (better than hd25, momentum, mdr-1r) but it doesn't go as low as the D600. It does seem more controlled and accurate within its range and driving it from my Rotel it certainly has enough kick.

It is the best out of my headphone for certain. It needs a headphone amp. The Ah-d600 certainly does not. The d600 is also more comfortable. For listening to electronic music these headphones compete against each other. One gives your more detail and transients, the other more sub bass.

So to get the hd650 running it's going to be an investment. The d600 is ready to enjoy directly out of a portable source. So if you need a closed can at home, one that you relax with it is great. Your ears adjust to its signature.

The main reason I got my 650s were I needed a more neutral headphone for music production and I got. Agreat price on them.

It may be worth saving for something like the HE-500. Can you audition the d600? I bought them knowing that they were not neutral but would give me a fun and very good bass experience

Thank you very much for your replys malfunkt and hapster....
Unfortunately i have no other choice but to make a blind purchase on the d600 because they are not sold here in portugal. Basically i have to rely on other users impressions and cross my fingers... :-D

My issue with the mdr 1r was mostly because it sounded muffled. When comparing the sonys to the momentums or hd25 they had a much more muffled sound and less bass impact.... With a tock eq i could make them clearer on my ipod. They were beautifull, they where nice for portable use and mostly fonfortable (my ear) touched the drivers a little bit but what annoyed me thw most was that the vocals, even ehrn equed and specially while playing flat where toooooo muffled.... Vocalists sounded like they were burried....
Thats why i loved the momentums and also the hd25, although a tad colored, everything sounds clear to my ears.

That being said, i know that if i buy the d600s, unlike the momentums they will have to atay at home because of the bulkiness buyt i dont mind because i have the hd25 for the streets and i was already considering a dt770 aniversary edition for home use. I am also considering the d600 because i found them way cheaper than they used to be. I only want to spend 150 euros and i stumbled across a pair of ae dt770s for 90 euros and a pair of d600s for 125.

I was also considering a pair of amperior for 140 but since o have the hd25 i wanted to go over ear noe since after all i am replacing thw momentums for not getting a over ear feeling.

Do you guys think o would like any of this cans taking in account what i described?
Are vocalist as muffled or even more muffled and burried sounding than on the mdr 1r or something like the k450?

Cheers and thank you guys for all the help...

Jul 25, 2014 at 4:45 AM Post #94 of 161
Well you can take the D600 with you. I do it from time to time. They survived my backpack so far without damages, but they are quite bulky and more on the heavy side. That said, they are (imo) insanely comfortable. I can wear them for several hours straigt without problems. The material withstands sweat and water pretty good and my ears stay cold (tested at 30-40°C outside and 30°C inside at the worst scenario).

Jul 25, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #95 of 161
Wich are bulkier the d600, ath m50 or akg k500? I had those 2...

And now that i mentioned the ath m50s how do they compare with those? on the m50, i liked the bass bu didnt like the bulkiness, shalow pads, confort. Overall the sound was not bad but they lacked mids and the treble was a bit plastic and unnatural... I preferd the hd25 (a tiny bit more bass wouldnt hurt but the balance is much better on the senns IMO)

Jul 25, 2014 at 5:40 AM Post #96 of 161
I cannot quite comment on that, but from what I have seen of the M50s, the D600 might be a bit bigger without looking so bulky. The AKG I'd say are a bit smaller or at least look like it.

Jul 25, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #97 of 161
Hi guys, sorry for bothering but after seeing a pair of used but in mint condition d600's for 120 euros it was impossible not too get interested...

My last headphones have been the white box ath m50, sennheiser hd 25, momentum over ear, mdr 1r and sony mdr v6.

By using this headphones i reached a conclusion i hate too coloured and too warm sound....

Here are my findings...

....the mdr 1rs to my ears sounded muffled and lacked bass impact. I love and still have the hd25 but they sound too confined, i liked the bass of the ath m50s but did not like the recessed mids and plasticky and unnatural treble.

I loved lovooooooed the sennheiser momentums sound (and build), a bit boring for edm but i loved it.....

....did not loved the confort of the momentums though and sold them....  the mix of on and over ear killed my ears...

...So basically i am now trying to find a replacement for the over ear momentums.... at fist i anted them to be portable, but now i dont mind at all if they are strict to home use.

I listen mostly to some indie, pop, rock and edm and i my 2 favourite headphones so far are indeed the over ear momentums and the hd25s, they were like the perfect to each other.... Having described my preferences do you guys think this denon d600 would suit me and would also be a nice complement to my hd25 like the momentum was?

Many people keep saying the late d2000's were perfect for me but now its impossible to get the... (i also had a pair of aurvana live's, i found them nice sounding but nothing to scream about, a bit loose bass and a bit too warm at times, also at higher not very high volumes it started to sound more pronounced on the highs and distorted)....

By the way....I also hated the k550 by the way, weird fit, lacking bass and too much treble (to me ot sounded steryle).... Right now i only have the hd25 and the v6.... 

Hope you guys can help.... Cheers... :)

Check out the Alpha Dog and Shure 1540 reviews. I think one of them may be what you're looking for

Jul 25, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #99 of 161
Well, they shure (haha.) as hell would not be worth the 400 bucks. But for 130 in my eyes they are hard to beat. If what you are looking is a fun headphone with a bathtub sound, go for it!

Jul 25, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #100 of 161
Hard to believe you're trying to recommend the He-500 and Hd 650 to someone looking at the D600.

Let's get some things straight, with a headband, the d600 are bar-none the absolute most comfortable headphone I've ever worn. They're not the most attractive, but they're not ugly. It's a 'different' design.

If however, you're looking for something with a slightly more neutral signature, the Mad Dogs by Mr speakers are a great alternative, personally, I find them to be a slight upgrade in SQ and a much needed upgrade in separation from the D600s. The Sub bass is there, but it's not as loud. They're also much harder to drive and in most cases, you should use an amplifier. Although the Mad Dogs have a more accurate sound stage, the D600 do have the edge in size.

Now, with this all in mind, Mr Speakers recently came out with the Mad Dog Pro. Which not only extends better, but has a louder sub bass region, and a larger sound stage.

This sounds like 'the' perfect upgrade from the D600 and hopefully, I will have the pleasure of owning one soon.

Hapster makes some good points. Also he's got me interested in the Mad Dog Pro :)

Not sure it's possible at the price range you are looking at to get a perfect headphone.

For the price the d600 is pretty close. They are a step up from the MDR-1r in sound quality IMO. For electronic/pop they have an awesome sound signature. The mid range is a bit recessed and the bass can be a bit too prominent on some genres. The d600 simulates the bass impact you'd get from a subwoofer. When listening to jazz or classical the bass is too much and some simple equalization helps.

I was just cautious in recommending them only because Pedro mentioned he was looking for something less coloured. Sounds like Mad Dog Pros and Shure 1540 would be good upgrades but the d600 is more than a good start.

Also they are super comfy (as long as you don't have a mini head)

Edit: just to add even with certain classical peices the D600 can sound great thanks to its bass reproduction.

Jul 25, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #101 of 161
  Too expensive m8.... XD
The denons caught my eye because they used to cost 500 but now i can gethttp://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BJ17WKK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 a pair for 130.... :)
I am not that rich..... XD

Phillips Fidelio X1s, great open can with all the base of a closed can. I bought them a while back and I must say all the hype is worth it. They are also cheaper than the hd650 and 600.
I was leaning towards a hd600 but very happy I settled for the fidelios.
I also changed the cable, as advised, I'm now using this with them:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BJ17WKK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jul 25, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #102 of 161
Too expensive m8.... XD
The denons caught my eye because they used to cost 500 but now i can get a pair for 130.... :)
I am not that rich..... XD

Check out the NAD HP50 then.

Jul 25, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #103 of 161
Bathtub sound? How do you guys compare the d600 against the overear momentum? Do you guys think that these denons would have beem more sucessfull if they were not succeeding the famous d0000s? (in a world without d0000s)

Jul 25, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #104 of 161
Bathtub sound? How do you guys compare the d600 against the overear momentum? Do you guys think that these denons would have beem more sucessfull if they were not succeeding the famous d0000s? (in a world without d0000s)

HP50 > Momentum > D600

Users who are viewing this thread

Back