Denon ah-d600 review.
Oct 6, 2012 at 11:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 161

lightningsmerf

New Head-Fier
I haven't seen any actual review's on head-fi fo this can, so I thought i'd write one. Please be kind as this is my first review.

[size=small]Build and Comfort[/size]
These things feel like a tank in the head. I highly doubt that these will break on you anytime soon. Unless you are a person who enjoys putting his headphones through hell. Honestly to break these you would need to stretch them pretty hard. These can are also pretty comfy. I have worn these for up to 5 hours at a time and they never feel extremely awkward. The only problems I have had are that they sit pretty loose on your head, and the fact the your ears sweat. Other than that there very comfy, though not as comfy as the HD 598's. 

Sound

Bass
The bass on these things are very nice! After burn in the bass is very tight and rarely leaks into the mids. Before burn in the bass was pretty boomy though. The bass also has a very nice impact, nothing that will crush your head but much better impact then my sennheiser HD 598's. The subbase is also nice, nothing amazing, but enough to keep me satisfied.

Mids
The mids are also very nice and smooth. They are not very prominent in these cans which is cool with me as i have the HD598's for that. Sadly when i'm not using a proper amp, or the ipod cable that came with these cans the mids are kinda muffled sounding, and the lyrics sound very boxed in. 

Highs
Sadly thge highs are the weak spot of these can's. I don't know what it is, they just dont sound the greatest with jazz and classical. That's not saying they sound bad, they just sound suppar to the d5000's in this area.

Amping
I was shocked that these cans require an amp. They are advertised as a pair of headphones that can play out of a ipod and the 25ohm's also suggest that but nope. I don't know what Denon did but when coming out of an ipod the bass losses a lot of it's impact, and the mids don't sound very rich, like they do coming out of a amp.

Verdict 
Altogether the d600 is a good sucessor to both the d2000's and 5000's and I would happily recommend them to anyone interested in a closed sub $500 headphone!

Hope you guy's enjoyed :D, tell me what I could do to improve. Thanks!
P.S I'll add pic's later

Oct 8, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #2 of 161
Well. I guess I'll just toss my own point of view into this.
I don't feel like doing a review so here are my impressions.
i apologize in advance for the more than multiple incorrect punctuation. 

d600 impression vs d2k.

1. subbass is there but not as prominent. if you push the headphones closer to your ears though, it helps.
which leads to the first drawback for the d600s. it fits loosely. helps with comfort, but takes away from sound.
when i say sound, i specifically only mean subbass. the rest of the spectrum seems unaffected by pushing the headphones closer.

2. definitely has a better midbass vs d2ks. every kick is heard on it whereas with d2ks, that "oomph" from a kick is clearly underneath the subbass. again, pushing the headphones closer to your ears brings the midbass and subbass closer to the same level (with midbass still higher than subbass though).

3. d600s are faster than d2ks when it comes to bass. I'm not audiophilic enough to tell the difference in speed for mids and highs, but bass speed is definitely faster on d600s. meaning it has a shorter decay time and it's tighter.

4. treble. man. treble. i remember when I first got my d2ks (before burn in and daily use) I thought "what are all theses s's doing in my songs?". with the d600s i thought: i hear there should be s's here but they're not (or barely present)".
my point is this. the level of treble on the d600s is lower than on the d2ks. which makes it seem like there's less detail.
my point is also that sibilance is less on the d600s.

so the past 4 conclusions were based on random dubstep tracks I rarely listen to even though I have them in my library.
I then moved to a song I know and like (James Blake - Limit to Your Love). The difference between the d2ks and d600s become more apparent but they are the same conclusions as before. except this one.

1. mids are more recessed on the d600s than the d2ks.

to confirm this conclusion, I popped in Adele's 21 album and Lauryn Hill's MTV Unplugged 2.0 recording (specifically O Jerusalem and Adam lives in theory).

and the conclusion?

once again, the subbbass is more prominent on the d2ks. but back to mids. 
d600 mids are definitely more recessed than d2ks.
however. somehow the vocals sound more intimate. so if the only thing you really listen for in mids is vocals, d600s are oh so slightly better than d2ks. but if you listen to more, again, the mids are more recessed on d600s.
oh and. I know you should know that the mids SHOULD sound colored because these ARE NOT neutral phones, but the d600s mids sound more colored.

At this point, I don't plan on keeping these. 
i was hoping the d600s would be a more portable d2k with better isolation and mids.
Yes I believe in burn in but I also believe burn in doesn't change the sound much more than the initial.
Despite the much greater portability due to the removable cables, better isolation, slightly more "ruggedness", and sexy look (YES, they are sexier than pictures make them seem) I can't justify spending that much on them when I got my d2k's for much much less. 

And then it hit me. I know these are colored but, wonder what they sound like with jazz. So I did just that. Played jazz through both the d2ks and d600s.
CLEARLY, the mids and treble are more apparent on the d2ks. saxophones and trumpets sound much more beautiful and closer to realism. The sparkle on the d2ks is also clearly superior. It reflects my earlier comment that the d600s mids sound more colored. 

Lastly, It takes too much intimate listening to comment on soundstage and detail and I don't feel like putting in the time for that. The first thing I look for in headphones is the overall frequency response. 

small edit. the soundstage on the d2ks are both wider and deeper.

P.S. Just out of curiosity, I played the same songs I heard but this time had my little 13 year old sister listen to them.
The thing she immediately said was that "in all the songs, the part that's not bass sounds louder on these" with "these" referring to d2ks.

Well, it's been fun. I'll come back and make this a little neater later but I've got work to do for now.

Oct 8, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #3 of 161
Quote:
Well. I guess I'll just toss my own point of view into this.
I don't feel like doing a review so here are my impressions.
i apologize in advance for the more than multiple incorrect punctuation. 

d600 impression vs d2k.

1. subbass is there but not as prominent. if you push the headphones closer to your ears though, it helps.
which leads to the first drawback for the d600s. it fits loosely. helps with comfort, but takes away from sound.
when i say sound, i specifically only mean subbass. the rest of the spectrum seems unaffected by pushing the headphones closer.

2. definitely has a better midbass vs d2ks. every kick is heard on it whereas with d2ks, that "oomph" from a kick is clearly underneath the subbass. again, pushing the headphones closer to your ears brings the midbass and subbass closer to the same level (with midbass still higher than subbass though).

3. d600s are faster than d2ks when it comes to bass. I'm not audiophilic enough to tell the difference in speed for mids and highs, but bass speed is definitely faster on d600s. meaning it has a shorter decay time and it's tighter.

4. treble. man. treble. i remember when I first got my d2ks (before burn in and daily use) I thought "what are all theses s's doing in my songs?". with the d600s i thought: i hear there should be s's here but they're not (or barely present)".
my point is this. the level of treble on the d600s is lower than on the d2ks. which makes it seem like there's less detail.
my point is also that sibilance is less on the d600s.

so the past 4 conclusions were based on random dubstep tracks I rarely listen to even though I have them in my library.
I then moved to a song I know and like (James Blake - Limit to Your Love). The difference between the d2ks and d600s become more apparent but they are the same conclusions as before. except this one.

1. mids are more recessed on the d600s than the d2ks.

to confirm this conclusion, I popped in Adele's 21 album and Lauryn Hill's MTV Unplugged 2.0 recording (specifically O Jerusalem and Adam lives in theory).

and the conclusion?

once again, the subbbass is more prominent on the d2ks. but back to mids. 
d600 mids are definitely more recessed than d2ks.
however. somehow the vocals sound more intimate. so if the only thing you really listen for in mids is vocals, d600s are oh so slightly better than d2ks. but if you listen to more, again, the mids are more recessed on d600s.
oh and. I know you should know that the mids SHOULD sound colored because these ARE NOT neutral phones, but the d600s mids sound more colored.

At this point, I don't plan on keeping these. 
i was hoping the d600s would be a more portable d2k with better isolation and mids.
Yes I believe in burn in but I also believe burn in doesn't change the sound much more than the initial.
Despite the much greater portability due to the removable cables, better isolation, slightly more "ruggedness", and sexy look (YES, they are sexier than pictures make them seem) I can't justify spending that much on them when I got my d2k's for much much less. 

And then it hit me. I know these are colored but, wonder what they sound like with jazz. So I did just that. Played jazz through both the d2ks and d600s.
CLEARLY, the mids and treble are more apparent on the d2ks. saxophones and trumpets sound much more beautiful and closer to realism. The sparkle on the d2ks is also clearly superior. It reflects my earlier comment that the d600s mids sound more colored. 

Lastly, It takes too much intimate listening to comment on soundstage and detail and I don't feel like putting in the time for that. The first thing I look for in headphones is the overall frequency response. 

small edit. the soundstage on the d2ks are both wider and deeper.

P.S. Just out of curiosity, I played the same songs I heard but this time had my little 13 year old sister listen to them.
The thing she immediately said was that "in all the songs, the part that's not bass sounds louder on these" with "these" referring to d2ks.

Well, it's been fun. I'll come back and make this a little neater later but I've got work to do for now.

Thanks for your imput :D I personally like these better than the d2k's and 5k's, but i've never owned either of them, only demo'd 

Oct 13, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #4 of 161
i had a chance to listen to this can on my hisoundaudio studioV....
my simple conclusion is..if i just want to listen to pop n jazz, this can would satisfy me.
Not great with classical music...too spacey n congested on my studioV.
Maybe an amp setup might save this can.
But, when i played AVATAR, that spacey theme song,
mine...i can feeeeeeel the basss rumbling physically thru the drivers...FUN!

gs1000.gif

Oct 30, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #8 of 161
I work at a store that sells Denon cans and I did an extensive test between the D600 and the D2000. The conclusion I came to is that the D2000 is superior overall. There may be minor things that the 600 excels at but, in general, the 2000 is much more musical, warm, a pleasure to listen to. I wish I would have been able to afford the 5000 or the 7000 but the 2000 satisfies my need for a great semi-closed headphone. I wish Denon hadn't fixed what wasn't broken. Or at least, I wish they would continue to produce the old models.

Oct 30, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #9 of 161
Quote:
I work at a store that sells Denon cans and I did an extensive test between the D600 and the D2000. The conclusion I came to is that the D2000 is superior overall. There may be minor things that the 600 excels at but, in general, the 2000 is much more musical, warm, a pleasure to listen to. I wish I would have been able to afford the 5000 or the 7000 but the 2000 satisfies my need for a great semi-closed headphone. I wish Denon hadn't fixed what wasn't broken. Or at least, I wish they would continue to produce the old models.

While I may disagree with you on the point that the d2000's sound better, I do in fact wish they kept the older ones.  

Oct 31, 2012 at 8:35 AM Post #10 of 161
I definitely meant that as a subjective statement. I find myself drawn in by the sound of the D2000 while the D600 leaves me 'outside in the cold' so to speak. I also find the D600 to be very large. On the smallest setting they are very loose on my head. I gave them a good 3 hours use and I just could not get into them.

Oct 31, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #11 of 161
Quote:
I definitely meant that as a subjective statement. I find myself drawn in by the sound of the D2000 while the D600 leaves me 'outside in the cold' so to speak. I also find the D600 to be very large. On the smallest setting they are very loose on my head. I gave them a good 3 hours use and I just could not get into them.

Yea, I agree that they sit rather losly on the head, but I think the build makes up for it. To the sound, I never found my self liking the d2000's or 5000's just because of the bass. I always found that while very fun to listen too, the bass didn't go deep enough for me. The d600 sounded better to me, but to each his own. 
beerchug.gif

Nov 1, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #12 of 161
Here is something about the AH-D600. Blame Google for corrupted English. :wink:

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=pl&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=pl&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Frms.pl%2Faudiofilskie%2Fprofesjonalne%2Fsluchawki-denon-ah-d600-test-piotr-ryki-recenzja-opinie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back