Denon ah-d600 review.
Feb 23, 2017 at 1:50 AM Post #151 of 161

Thank You for response! I'm looking for headphones for EDM, recently sold my HE400S due to lack of bass and punch (tried every possible pads, including HM5).
At this moment I'm considering M100 vs. D600, haven't heard d600, but m100 sounds weird at mid region - veeeery unnatural. If D600 is not as colored as m100, i think i will go with them! 

D600 are one of the best audiophile EDM-specific cans in my opinion. Much better than M100. If you value clarity. I can´t stand muddy sound in EDM (vocal melodic trance). M100 is just slightly better than Pioneer HDJ-2000 (in my personal opinion). D600 sounded definitely more natural in mid range than M100.  D600 is only bested by well amped Senns HD700 (with good bass boost) for vocal and uplifting trance (surprisingly one of my favorite cans for EDM).  Check Z review on youtube of D600 (funny but I agree with him in most areas). D600 is very very underrated. For me is one of reference cans (for EDM). Bass is even much better and deeper than that of Fidelio X1 and X2, more sub-bass, more punch, and those two have more bass than HE400s and HE400i. D600 offer: Bass+clarity+soundstage (comparable to X1, just slightly narrower). But they´re not as portable as M100.

Feb 23, 2017 at 2:15 AM Post #152 of 161

D600 are one of the best audiophile EDM-specific cans in my opinion. Much better than M100. If you value clarity. I can´t stand muddy sound in EDM (vocal melodic trance). M100 is just slightly better than Pioneer HDJ-2000 (in my personal opinion). D600 sounded definitely more natural in mid range than M100.  D600 is only bested by well amped Senns HD700 (with good bass boost) for vocal and uplifting trance (surprisingly one of my favorite cans for EDM).  Check Z review on youtube of D600 (funny but I agree with him in most areas). D600 is very very underrated. For me is one of reference cans (for EDM). Bass is even much better and deeper than that of Fidelio X1 and X2, more sub-bass, more punch, and those two have more bass than HE400s and HE400i. D600 offer: Bass+clarity+soundstage (comparable to X1, just slightly narrower). But they´re not as portable as M100.

Thank You for response. I suppose I will order brand new D600 from ebay. I watch Z from the beginning of Z - he loves d600 as well. I do not consider HDJ-2000, I tried them, but sound was too U-shape and treble was too bright. In general I have two opinion at this point - new D600 or used D5000. At this point I'm confusing regarding D5000 harsh and sibilance (according to reviewrs), which is for sure not good at fast trance tracks. Could You please tell your opinion for D5000? Is it worth 480$ or go with D600 for 320$?

Feb 23, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #153 of 161
yea the d600 has great strengths in those 3 areas- bass, clarity, and soundstage. Bass is very unique and while it is strong, it is tuned in an excellent way to not be too muddy or mid-bass emphasized.

Feb 24, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #154 of 161
  yea the d600 has great strengths in those 3 areas- bass, clarity, and soundstage. Bass is very unique and while it is strong, it is tuned in an excellent way to not be too muddy or mid-bass emphasized.

I agree but IMO open headphones like Grados are more transparent and open sound.  I love Grado 325i Gold edition.  Having D600 to enjoy sometimes a change of "tone". 

Jul 30, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #155 of 161
Recently got the Denon AH-D600 and they nicely surprised me. They are pretty solid, very comfortable with that great Denon's signature sound I like. The bass is just excellent on these cans. The mids and highs are great but comparing to the HP800 they not so detailed and slightly in the back. I am aiming to give these a proper burring sessions as I heard these really need that and then the mids and highs sounds way better.... lets see. Overall these are superb headphones I've tried all genres and they have not failed me. Especially recommend these for electronic music, movies and gaming. You can read more of my thoughts here and direct comparison to MM400 and HP800 from Denon: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/denon-d600-vs-denon-mm400-vs-denon-hp800.856127/#post-13617361

IMG_20170723_142623.jpg

IMG_20170723_140434.jpg

IMG_20170723_135937.jpg

Jul 30, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #156 of 161
These are great headphones, and I've gone through a couple. Very comfortable and great for electronic music and movies.

I ended up with an older D2000 which is similar but I'd say more analytical. Its also very comfortable. The highs on the D2000 are much sharper than the D600.

The D2000 and D5000 are very similar. the D2000 is excellent with trance music. The bass lines just roll.

Oct 9, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #158 of 161
I picked up these two weeks ago and have been pretty impressed so far. Could anyone recommend some EQ settings for these?
I picked these up recently also out of the HF classifieds. I enjoy these with no EQ at all. Sub-bass slams like nothing I've ever had (without EQ). One of the best purchases I've ever made in this hobby.

Oct 13, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #159 of 161
I picked these up recently also out of the HF classifieds. I enjoy these with no EQ at all. Sub-bass slams like nothing I've ever had (without EQ). One of the best purchases I've ever made in this hobby.

While I wholeheartedly agree that these are pretty amazing, proper EQ can work wonders. I just recently quit being such a prude about DSP after trying Oratory1990's EQ settings for few of my phones and was very impressed by the change. I'm just not skilled enough at this point to produce results anywhere close to that caliber.

Oct 13, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #160 of 161
I picked up these two weeks ago and have been pretty impressed so far. Could anyone recommend some EQ settings for these?

If you look at some graphs, you will see they have a fairly flat mid-range. Their upper range is not reference, and the treble is a bit stylized. Personally, I wouldn't mess with this. The lower range you can easily eq to taste. Just lower the bass range.

But I agree with @slowpickr , in that I just enjoy the headphone as is. I've gone through a number of biodynamic headphones and they are all very good. The AH-D600 is one of the most comfortable, and with its removable cables is also convenient. Since it is overlooked, you can sometimes find them for great prices. Things is, people tend to hold on to them as they are good pair of cans. The Denon AH-D2000 and D7200 have more reference signatures. The newer 7200 series is the best built of them. The Fostex models are great too. I just enjoy the texture and presence they bring. Really good for gaming and movies as well. They are nice compliment to my Focal Utopia - providing a more relaxed and fun signature which still works surprisingly well for many styles of music.

If any of you are looking for an in-ear monitor that is comparable an even better in a number of ways, I highly recommend the Sony XBA series, in particular the H3, A3 and Z5. The H3 is the most bombastic of the bunch and can sometimes be found inexpensively. The A3 is similar and bit more refined, and the Z5 is even a bit better in tonal balance. Having used all of them, similar to the Denons, I ended up going for an older model. Like the D600 the H3 is just fun, and isn't going for audiophile accuracy. Instead it has a more home theatre style sub-bass matched with a stunning high-end (clearer than the D600).

Oct 20, 2021 at 1:21 AM Post #161 of 161
Finally put some leather pads on these after the old ones just disintegrated. Forgot how wonderful these sound. Still a mean headphone in 2021!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back