Denon ah-d600 review.
Jul 29, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #121 of 161

...here and here my first impressions of the D600 compared to the D7100...

Have you ever tried the over ear momentums and compared them against the denon d600?
I loved the sound of the momentums but ended up selling them because of fit, seal and confort issues.
I was hoping that the d600 could give me the same sound quality but with a real over ear fit...

By the way guys are the d600s that loose? The only headphone i had problems with loose fit was the k550. They rested like this \ on my ear and therefore seal and bass response were really bad.

... yes, I tried the momentums quite extensively. The on ear and over ear. Not bad at all, but still, if I had to chose I would always vote for the D600... more fun-factor, what I personally rate significantly above neutrality. At least over the kind of neutrality that some here worship so much. Anyway, I personally perceive the Denons to be quite neutral in the sense that they sound very realistic with that physical something to it... and if something sounds realistic to you, isn't that what you would call neutral then?

The D600 is not that loose. Surely it is not an outdoor or sports headphone, but for "normal" listening it is really very comfortable. I read a quite dismissive review here in headfi where it was stated that the D7100 was designed for large heads only (it has the same geometry like the D600)... hmmm... I do not consider my head very large, but still I have to extend the hoop on either side for about 1cm. So for me it is hard to imagine how that headphone could be too large (and thereby too loose), but I am sure Sargatanas had his sincere reasons for claiming so; even if I found it was not proper style to rate the D7100 just based on that fact, without considering sound quality or whatsoever other factors that should be inherent part of each review...

Still, to make sure it fits & suits you well, best you try yourself if there is any opportunity...

Concerning the K550, I own the K551 which has pretty much the same geometry and I have the same issue with it as you describe above. Despite the fact that it can be adjusted in angle, all in all it is a rather stiff construction, so it doesn't adjust itself when putting on. Then, after I finally get it adjusted halfway well so the pads are sealing properly, I have to sit quietly because with any movement the pads could lose contact... and again leading to a significant decrease of bass making it sound quite unpleasant...

Jul 29, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #122 of 161
... yes, I tried the momentums quite extensively. The on ear and over ear. Not bad at all, but still, if I had to chose I would always vote for the D600...

Still, to make sure it fits & suits you well, best you try yourself if there is any opportunity...

Concerning the K550, I own the K551 which has pretty much the same geometry and I have the same issue with it as you describe above. Despite the fact that it can be adjusted in angle, all in all it is a rather stiff construction, so it doesn't adjust itself when putting on. Then, after I finally get it adjusted halfway well so the pads are sealing properly, I have to sit quietly because with any movement the pads could lose contact... and again leading to a significant decrease of bass making it sound quite unpleasant...

unfortunately i cant try the d600 without buying them. I have yto buy on amazon since they are not for sale in portugal.
The k550 to me was horrible, steryle sound, worst seal and fit ever, they are too loose and indeed the pads are like freaken pancakes and its like only the bottom part pf the pads rested on my head while the top part didnt even touch my head.... It was an experience to forget.... So this does not happen with the d600?

I really loved the sound on the over ear momentums, resolution was amazing and the signature is beautifull. A fantastic all rounder and a perfect complement to my sennheiser hd25. Problem was that my ears didnt fit all the way inside the pads and therefore i was loosing bass on the right side everytime i turned my head due to deficient seal. They are the best pair i had ever in all ways but the fit, seal and confort distracted me from the amazing sound.... I miss that sound.... :'(

I was kind of hoping for the d600s to deliver me the same quality but with a real over ear effect. Also a similat signature to the momentums would be ok...

Jul 29, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #123 of 161
If you are worried about fit, buy this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00862522A

It ends up being less loose overall because it adds more cushion. It also adds some extra comfort up top. With just the stock d600, I could wear for 2 hours before a dull pain on my head would come up, but with that headband, I've worn them for 8+ hours with no pain at all.

Jul 29, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #124 of 161

... yes, I tried the momentums quite extensively. The on ear and over ear. Not bad at all, but still, if I had to chose I would always vote for the D600...

unfortunately i cant try the d600 without buying them. I have yto buy on amazon since they are not for sale in portugal.
The k550 to me was horrible, steryle sound, worst seal and fit ever, they are too loose and indeed the pads are like freaken pancakes and its like only the bottom part pf the pads rested on my head while the top part didnt even touch my head.... It was an experience to forget.... So this does not happen with the d600?

I really loved the sound on the over ear momentums, resolution was amazing and the signature is beautifull. A fantastic all rounder and a perfect complement to my sennheiser hd25. Problem was that my ears didnt fit all the way inside the pads and therefore i was loosing bass on the right side everytime i turned my head due to deficient seal. They are the best pair i had ever in all ways but the fit, seal and confort distracted me from the amazing sound.... I miss that sound.... :'(

I was kind of hoping for the d600s to deliver me the same quality but with a real over ear effect. Also a similat signature to the momentums would be ok...

... no, that will not happen with the D600, it has a ball-joint and can move in all directions. Above post by Hapster should help if there is a issue with the size...

Aug 19, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #125 of 161
I have both Momentums and D600´s. The reason I bought D600 was because for me Momentum delivered "small and dark sound", while I love the signature of Momentum, the soundstage was very small and it sounded too congested for my taste. I was concerned about two things: that D600 would have recessed mids (compared to Momentum and Shures) and muddy sound (love transparency of momentum) but i was pleasantly surprised with D600 - considerably bigger soundstage, top-notch comfort, and mids are surprisingly good (however Momentum´s mids are a little more forward). They sound pretty good unamped and I prefer D600 over Momenum primarily due to much bigger soundstage,  delicious bass and for the clarity (while having lots of bass). The downside for me is that D600 sounds somewhat unnatural compared to Momentum and Momentum´s are more portable (D600´s are huge).
If You listen to music for about 4-8 hours a day, unamped, and soundstage is important - Denon  D600 are better than Momenum and I consider them to be more of an upgrade (much better comfort, much better bass, much bigger soundstage) than sidegrade. Also I find D600 to be better for movies and gaming.
Just my opinion.

Aug 20, 2014 at 6:49 AM Post #126 of 161
I have been watching and searching what headphones to buy soon two weeks. Have been reading this forum many many hours.
First I was very sure that i will buy Alessandro Ms-1, but then i went first to one store listen some headphones. There i tried yamaha 200$ phones Yamaha HPH-PRO 300 smaller "closed" ones. They were nice very nice phones, but i was like, hmm they are really overpriced. I Would maybe pay 80. Then I tried some Sennheiser. Sorry for all you guysi dont really remember which one it was, but it was most likely Sennheiser HD7, caue price was 320$. HD650 is well over 400$ here in Finland. Im just btw changing all price to usd, as i think most here understand that better. These sennhdeiser where all to way better than Yamaha, but still even the AMP was yber crazy. I didnt find that soundstage so nicely that i know it could be. Listening time was really short 10 min with bouths so these are just fast opinnions.
Then yesterday i went other store and listened Denon ah-d600 and i listened there some Eagles classics. I really fell in love with them. There i didnt even had proper amp only straight from combo cd player. I like all of what it provided price was too high in that store smth like 380-400$. I tiried there also all other denon cheaper models even thos D1100, but i hate them all. D1100 sounded almost same as my Fake beats by dr. dre monster studio headphones, which i bought just to know how they sound and to use them when i need dance with headphones on, they are good for that bad for everything else. Ofc not same quality with D1100, they are way better in everything...
Now i found these Denon ah-d600 from amazon.de to 158€  with postage which is 210$, that's fine price. But then i found same headphones from Finnish ebay (huuto.net) few months used, bought from local store at april, so warranty and stuff works easy. The price which i got my highest pid, only pid i dunno why. But the selling price was 140$. This was totally amazing price and I'm waiting to get them especially because at first try i really loved the whole packet, with all details people haw been telling here. I really hope i will still love them after long listening.
Biggest thing is that I can even test them before paying so will be perfect deal. These have been listend only litlle bit so I think they are ready to go, I mean "runned-in".

Will be posting and commenting and giving better review about them when i have them in my hands. Will be also investigatin and asking in other threads what amp to buy.

Oct 3, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #127 of 161

200+ hrs on my AH-D600 and as it settles down, it does it beautifully.. Very pleased with the sound so far and I can't imagine what wonders it will do when paired with an amplifier.
The recommended break-in is around 800 hrs so just waiting n watching (rather listening)

Oct 13, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #129 of 161
  I have both Momentums and D600´s. The reason I bought D600 was because for me Momentum delivered "small and dark sound", while I love the signature of Momentum, the soundstage was very small and it sounded too congested for my taste. I was concerned about two things: that D600 would have recessed mids (compared to Momentum and Shures) and muddy sound (love transparency of momentum) but i was pleasantly surprised with D600 - considerably bigger soundstage, top-notch comfort, and mids are surprisingly good (however Momentum´s mids are a little more forward). They sound pretty good unamped and I prefer D600 over Momenum primarily due to much bigger soundstage,  delicious bass and for the clarity (while having lots of bass). The downside for me is that D600 sounds somewhat unnatural compared to Momentum and Momentum´s are more portable (D600´s are huge).
If You listen to music for about 4-8 hours a day, unamped, and soundstage is important - Denon  D600 are better than Momenum and I consider them to be more of an upgrade (much better comfort, much better bass, much bigger soundstage) than sidegrade. Also I find D600 to be better for movies and gaming.
Just my opinion.

I have to agree here! I've had these for over a year now, and while my listening to them has decreased over time, they are the only headphone I love listening to un amped. They have very good soundstage for a closed back headphones, and are rather analytical when un amped. They are my favourite portable cans i own, and am thinking about selling my v-moda crossfade's because these are so much better 
beerchug.gif

Nov 4, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #130 of 161
Been about two months since I've put on my D600's, having spent time with my earlier model Denons and most recently the new Sony Z7.

Wow! I had forgotten just how good these headphones are, with bass that is deeper then the earlier D5000 and quite nice sound. I think I'll keep them in the rotation for awhile.

Nov 6, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #131 of 161
Been about two months since I've put on my D600's, having spent time with my earlier model Denons and most recently the new Sony Z7.

Wow! I had forgotten just how good these headphones are, with bass that is deeper then the earlier D5000 and quite nice sound. I think I'll keep them in the rotation for awhile.

Interesting, owning the Mad Dogs now I can say while the D600 is the most comfortable headphone I've tried, it still leaves some to be desired. The bass is not infact that deep, the MDs really seem to go down to 20hz or wherever my hearing cuts off, the D600 seem to cut off at ~50hz and distorted easily with too much volume.

The D600s still seemed to have 'more' bass though. Which for Trance is a plus.

Hearing the comparison to the D5000s makes me wonder about them.

Anyway, the other thing you'll notice about the D600 when you move on to other headphones is that while the soundstage is very impressive, it's not all that accurate & the seperation leaves something to be desired. It ended up being surprisingly bad for gaming.

As far as isolation goes MD wins by a landslide especially on sound leakage.

I plan on getting the Mad Dog pros which offer a signature closer to that of the D600, so it'll make it less of a competition.

But for now: Better
Comfort: D600 (very important, MD gives fatigue after several hours, especially with glasses. You can almost literally wear the D600 to sleep, except for they get a little warm, it cannot be understated how gloriously comfortable the D600 are compared to every headphone I've ever tried.)
SQ: MD
Isolation/Leakage: MD
Soundstage: D600 (MD has better accuracy)
Seperation: MD
Build Quality: MD personally, D600 can easily snap or break with too much pressure.
EQ: D600 signature was perfect for me, but I find myself EQing the MD frequently.
Also: D600 can easily be played from an iPhone, but the Mad Dog needs an amp if you're in a semi loud environment.

So anyway, I do think the MDs are considered an upgrade and considering I bought my D600s for $240 awhile back and my MDs for $210 I'd say they're a good deal better.

Nov 6, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #132 of 161

Nice!  Yea I kept mine also and use them at work nowadays.  Glad you still enjoy them!

Dec 12, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #133 of 161
My apologies for bumping up a semi-old thread. I just bought the D600s and was wondering if anyone had a guess as to why Denon decided to have a Y cable setup instead of a single sided one? Why would these phones need cables to plug into both cups? Come to think of it, why would any can need it? Thanks!

Dec 12, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #134 of 161
This is an appreciation thread, no need to apologize.

Dec 12, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #135 of 161
  My apologies for bumping up a semi-old thread. I just bought the D600s and was wondering if anyone had a guess as to why Denon decided to have a Y cable setup instead of a single sided one? Why would these phones need cables to plug into both cups? Come to think of it, why would any can need it? Thanks!

I think that durability have to do with that, it is pretty frequent that the wire that goes from one headphone cup to the other breaks so in an effort to make it better and more serviceable using Y removable cables it make sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back