Denon AH-D600 or Denon AH-D2000?
Oct 26, 2012 at 9:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

hanii

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I am looking for a new full size headphones. But I have very little experience and knowledge with speakers in general, so i really hope i can find someone who can give me some tips here. 
My max. budget is 659USD, that is what a Denon AH-D600 cost here in Denmark. I know they don't produce any denon ah-2000 anymore but i have found a place that have some pieces left and they cost around 480USD. 

Something that is very important for me is the BASS. so which of these two have the best bass? The info i got from the internet is that the Denon AH-D2000 have a deeper base compared to the D600 which should have a tighter bass, but which one have the best bass in your opinion?

I had a Denon AH-D2000 once and i liked the bass very much, but im afraid if the D600 bass is not as good.

I am going to use it directly to the computer, iphone, TV with nothing in between, (amp etc).  

Can someone please tell me which one i should go for? Im also open for other suggestions, but it needs to be closed-cans and the budget is 659USD. And i don't want to do any modding, i want something that is good from stock.

Thanks,
best regards Hani 

Oct 26, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #2 of 15
I think that the d2k is the best option. Possibly you could even get the d5k here used which is an outstanding hp.  Welcome to head-fi and good luck with the search!!

Matt

Oct 26, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #3 of 15
My D600 sounds very much on par with my D5000. D5000 wins in terms of sub-bass extension and sparkle, but D600's bass is also very clean and tight, treble is almost sibilance-free and midrange is a tad bit better, I prefer female vocals on those. So I don't think they can be worse than the D2000, just different. Both can be driven well enough from anything, but the D600 offers much more versatility with 2 sets of cables for different purposes and they also isolate very well compared to the Dx000 series which are more like semi-open. Since you're not going to invest in amps I'd say D600 will probably be better, my D5000 loses quite a bit of treble energy when unamped, even though the bass still rumbles like mad. 

TL;DR I recommend D600, its advantages in other areas make up enough for its shortcomings in bass. 

P.S why is stuff so expensive in EU anyway? o.0

Oct 26, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #4 of 15
Thanks Matt :) 

LinkPro, Thanks for your input. My prob. is that my priority is bass, but i can see that the D600 have advantages in the other areas so that makes it a better overall headphone, and would be kind of stupid of me to buy something else. but still I really do like bass :frowning2: Its because I mainly use the headphones for gaming and movies. and i play alot of action games like BF3 etc. and the bass makes the game sooo much better. So the more rumbling bass the better 
basshead.gif

Do you think that the bass of the D600 would sound good in such games like Battlefield 3? Imagine being surrounded in the game with shots and explosives 
basshead.gif

Its all the duties and taxes we have, especially in Denmark that makes all electronics and mostly cars have crazy high prices :frowning2: 

Oct 26, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #5 of 15
I would go with the d2000s if you can. Also like someone else suggested if you can get the d5000s in your budget Then maybe go for those. That being said. I would not suggest the 600s based on how many people dislike them. the 2000,5000, and 7000 are known for their sound. I would stick with those. 

Oct 26, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #6 of 15
The D2000 are my best cans for gaming. Nothing rumbles like the Denon. The soundstage seems to really come out when playing games. For electronic music, they sometimes lack kick in the mid-bass section, but sub-bass is always very nice to listen to - very subwoofer like. 

Oct 26, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:
Thanks Matt :) 

LinkPro, Thanks for your input. My prob. is that my priority is bass, but i can see that the D600 have advantages in the other areas so that makes it a better overall headphone, and would be kind of stupid of me to buy something else. but still I really do like bass :frowning2: Its because I mainly use the headphones for gaming and movies. and i play alot of action games like BF3 etc. and the bass makes the game sooo much better. So the more rumbling bass the better 
basshead.gif

Do you think that the bass of the D600 would sound good in such games like Battlefield 3? Imagine being surrounded in the game with shots and explosives 
basshead.gif

Its all the duties and taxes we have, especially in Denmark that makes all electronics and mostly cars have crazy high prices :frowning2: 

I still stand by my opinion that you should get the D600 over D2000. I understand that you like bass, I was in your shoes before as well, I've tried, owned and sold a lot of those "basshead" cans out there that I can reach for, Beats included :p, and now I end up with 3 pairs of Denon cans, I think that by itself says it all about how much I love bass 
basshead.gif
  While not having heard the D2000 (probably never will) it's safe to assume that they will be able to dish out more sub-bass than the D600, since the D5000 beats the D600 in this field and D2000 is supposed to rumble even more that that, the bass gets more controlled as you move up the price ladder, and a steep one at that. The problem is that with that much somewhat bloated sub-bass being pumped out every minute, it gets tiring and fatiguing very quickly, eventually you may grow out of it. I know I have, that's why I appreciate the D600's sound sign so much: the bass rumbles for sure, also extends super deep (based on my noob ears the bass roll-off starts at around 60Hz for the 600) while remaning decently tight and not bleeding into the midrange. Also worth mentioning: with the same volume the D600 is a tad bit louder than the D5000, something you may appreciate if you plan to run them unamped. I'm equally happy with both the 600 and the 5000 as of now. 

If after reading all the above and you still think bass priortizes over everything else, then by all means go with D2000, or used D5000 as someone already pointed it out. D2000 is cheaper where you live, while it's the opposite for us in the states. If you were in the states I'd not even consider the D2000 to be worthy. People bash the 600 because they expect an *upgrade* from D5000 at a lower price tag, or at least a similar sound sign, in that sense the 600 won't deliver. 

In fact I just did a quick A/B between the two with one of my fav go-to sub-bass test http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3w2MTXBebg (I'm dead serious! :D) And I can assure you the D600 DOES rumble, just not at level of D5000's subwoofer-like rumble at that. And no distortion whatsoever with both. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them, be it 2000, 5000 or 600, but in the end I still recommend the 600. Whatever you decide to pick I'm happy, Denon zealots unite! 
beyersmile.png

Oct 27, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #8 of 15
wow thanks for this helpful answer. exactly what i needed to know :)

I now have 4 days to choose which one it is going to be. Damn i really having hard time choosing between those two :D 

Oct 27, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

I still stand by my opinion that you should get the D600 over D2000. I understand that you like bass, I was in your shoes before as well, I've tried, owned and sold a lot of those "basshead" cans out there that I can reach for, Beats included :p, and now I end up with 3 pairs of Denon cans, I think that by itself says it all about how much I love bass 
basshead.gif
  While not having heard the D2000 (probably never will) it's safe to assume that they will be able to dish out more sub-bass than the D600, since the D5000 beats the D600 in this field and D2000 is supposed to rumble even more that that, the bass gets more controlled as you move up the price ladder, and a steep one at that. The problem is that with that much somewhat bloated sub-bass being pumped out every minute, it gets tiring and fatiguing very quickly, eventually you may grow out of it. I know I have, that's why I appreciate the D600's sound sign so much: the bass rumbles for sure, also extends super deep (based on my noob ears the bass roll-off starts at around 60Hz for the 600) while remaning decently tight and not bleeding into the midrange. Also worth mentioning: with the same volume the D600 is a tad bit louder than the D5000, something you may appreciate if you plan to run them unamped. I'm equally happy with both the 600 and the 5000 as of now. 

If after reading all the above and you still think bass priortizes over everything else, then by all means go with D2000, or used D5000 as someone already pointed it out. D2000 is cheaper where you live, while it's the opposite for us in the states. If you were in the states I'd not even consider the D2000 to be worthy. People bash the 600 because they expect an *upgrade* from D5000 at a lower price tag, or at least a similar sound sign, in that sense the 600 won't deliver. 

In fact I just did a quick A/B between the two with one of my fav go-to sub-bass test http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3w2MTXBebg (I'm dead serious! :D) And I can assure you the D600 DOES rumble, just not at level of D5000's subwoofer-like rumble at that. And no distortion whatsoever with both. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them, be it 2000, 5000 or 600, but in the end I still recommend the 600. Whatever you decide to pick I'm happy, Denon zealots unite! 
beyersmile.png

I think he has some good points. But like he said if you want a crap ton of bass go with the d2000s. Also I think the d2000 will hold value as they are well loved in the community, and like this poster said they cost much more most places then the d600s. Also I find the build quality, and looks to be better on the d2000s. The d2000s can also be modded later down the road with markl website for a  whole new sound.( personally I love the d2000/d5000 sound so I would not change it. but many people do) About the only thing the d600s are better for in my opinion is mobility. But even then They feel very loose to many people. 

Oct 27, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #10 of 15
Oct 27, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #11 of 15
http://yklee118.blogspot.com.au/2012/09/the-denon-ah-d600-worthy-replacement-of.html

Oct 27, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:
The D2K's that i found i from ebay, this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Denon-AH-D2000-Professional-Studio-Quality-HD-Over-the-Head-Headphones-Genuine-/110965146031?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Headphones&hash=item19d609c1af&_uhb=1

But im kind of worry if they are fakes. They are from the UK. Do u guys think they look genuine? or is there anyway i could check it out? 

Is there even such a thing as fake Denon ah-d2000's? 

The seller has perfect ratings, and the headphone looks exactly like what I have.

Also, I haven't heard of any fake Denon's. Although there was a slight tuning in the past year in the models from the mid-2000s version. Apparently, the newer ones are tighter and overall more balanced.....check out Innerfidelity for that report. I also have the new D2000 version, I made sure by checking the production date, and it sounds fine.

Oct 29, 2012 at 4:59 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

The seller has perfect ratings, and the headphone looks exactly like what I have.

Also, I haven't heard of any fake Denon's. Although there was a slight tuning in the past year in the models from the mid-2000s version. Apparently, the newer ones are tighter and overall more balanced.....check out Innerfidelity for that report. I also have the new D2000 version, I made sure by checking the production date, and it sounds fine.

yup! great reviews from the user and he/she sells lots of headphones it looks like. There are SOME fake denons but not really around anymore I dont think. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back