Denon AH-D5200 (little brother of the AH-D7200)
Dec 9, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #361 of 815
D5200 reminds me of 6XX but much better bass and brighter (bad). This was mentioned earlier in the thread by another (sorry dont remember which user) but I agree that these pads fit okay and reduce highs to more acceptable levels.: https://www.amazon.com/your-orders/...pmentId=DfJLysNWm&packageId=1&asin=B07SCNCH5R

Seems like the link you put was to your personal orders. Please change it for the actual item page. I'm interested to see what pads people use. I know Dekoni has nice pads but not sure what effect they will have on the sound.

Dec 9, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #362 of 815
There is no difference in quality between the old Denon AH-D series and the Fostex TH-X/TR-X series... they are one and the same in design other than the shape of the individual parts for each specific series.

D2000 will have some bright/intense treble issues that can be worked out with mods... TH-X00 series is much better in treble compared to AH-D2000. The AH-D5200 is different from both the D2000 and Fostex TH-X/TR-X series - it's a brighter, leaner sound with tighter subbass and more pronounced mids. The D2000 and TH-X/TR-X will hit harder while the D5200 will be punchier sounding. Treble on D5200 is better than the D2000, but just a bit more intense than the Fostexs.

Basically the D5200 compared to the D2000 and TH-X/TR-X is like the X3 compared to X2HR...but subbass is much more present on the D5200 than the X3.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 7:02 PM Post #363 of 815
There is no difference in quality between the old Denon AH-D series and the Fostex TH-X/TR-X series... they are one and the same in design other than the shape of the individual parts for each specific series.

D2000 will have some bright/intense treble issues that can be worked out with mods... TH-X00 series is much better in treble compared to AH-D2000. The AH-D5200 is different from both the D2000 and Fostex TH-X/TR-X series - it's a brighter, leaner sound with tighter subbass and more pronounced mids. The D2000 and TH-X/TR-X will hit harder while the D5200 will be punchier sounding. Treble on D5200 is better than the D2000, but just a bit more intense than the Fostexs.

Basically the D5200 compared to the D2000 and TH-X/TR-X is like the X3 compared to X2HR...but subbass is much more present on the D5200 than the X3.
Thanks for your reply. So if my preference is to avoid analytical/thin sound and go for more musical and dark/warm with highs rolled off and harder hitting sub bass I should opt for the TH-X/TR-X or D2000 over the D5200?

Edit: I previously owned Schiit Mjolnir & Gungnir with Mrspeakers Alpha Prime headphones - but that time and budget has now passed. That may give you a good idea of what I used to enjoy. I've always liked the idea of TH-900 but they're too expensive and possibly too v-shaped (?).

I feel a bit lost with it all these days to be honest. I feel like a rookie all over again and I've not got the budget to chop, change and endlessly upgrade like I used to :frowning2:

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #364 of 815
There is no difference in quality between the old Denon AH-D series and the Fostex TH-X/TR-X series... they are one and the same in design other than the shape of the individual parts for each specific

Just wanted to throw in, it seemed like the TH-X series had quality problems at least related to the earcup hanger gimbal. That's how I got a TH-X00 for $100 and repaired it with some zip ties. It was a poor design and very difficult to properly fix. The AD-H series does not have this flaw.

Dec 9, 2020 at 10:41 PM Post #365 of 815
Just wanted to throw in, it seemed like the TH-X series had quality problems at least related to the earcup hanger gimbal. That's how I got a TH-X00 for $100 and repaired it with some zip ties. It was a poor design and very difficult to properly fix. The AD-H series does not have this flaw.

The AH-D2000, 5000, and 7000 from over a decade ago are the same gimbal design, just different shape. The TH-X00 is actually a slight improvement on it.

71orvJ9Nm+L.jpg

Dec 10, 2020 at 12:02 AM Post #367 of 815
Thanks for your reply. So if my preference is to avoid analytical/thin sound and go for more musical and dark/warm with highs rolled off and harder hitting sub bass I should opt for the TH-X/TR-X or D2000 over the D5200?

Edit: I previously owned Schiit Mjolnir & Gungnir with Mrspeakers Alpha Prime headphones - but that time and budget has now passed. That may give you a good idea of what I used to enjoy. I've always liked the idea of TH-900 but they're too expensive and possibly too v-shaped (?).

I feel a bit lost with it all these days to be honest. I feel like a rookie all over again and I've not got the budget to chop, change and endlessly upgrade like I used to :frowning2:

#1 choice would be a used TH-X00/TR-X00 Purpleheart.

#2 choice would be closedback modding a Sennheiser HD58X or HD650/6XX and swapping to the Yaxi Alcantara pads... very nice warm & dark sound with subbass hitting between the 5200 and Purplehearts but not quite as good quality as either.

Dec 11, 2020 at 12:50 AM Post #368 of 815
Got in the Yaxi pads... they fit on the stock mounting rings loosely, but still fit if you are careful. Will help to make spacing adapter rings though, which I will try doing soon. Anyways, been listening to both the 'leather' and the Alcantara version... and really liking the Alcantara version best for the 5200. The 'leather' version is just too much intensity... subbass goes way up and hits hard like a Purpleheart, but treble also kind of is a bit much. It also gets pretty boomy, boomier than the PH I think, but still not quite as solid sounding. The Alcantara pads though...VERY nice... get noticeable subbass boost to put it closer to the Purpleheart, but the treble is smoothed out over the stock pads and slightly easier going sound with still good vocals, just tiny bit less forward. The Alcantara pads just really fit the nature of the 5200's sound really well.

i-cBFgRjJ.jpg

i-3WxXmzS.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020 at 7:50 AM Post #370 of 815
#1 choice would be a used TH-X00/TR-X00 Purpleheart.

#2 choice would be closedback modding a Sennheiser HD58X or HD650/6XX and swapping to the Yaxi Alcantara pads... very nice warm & dark sound with subbass hitting between the 5200 and Purplehearts but not quite as good quality as either.

Disappointingly (but not surprisingly) I'm struggling to source a -X00 Purpleheart in the UK (and I really want to avoid import duties from USA etc as it will crush my budget) so I think the only options I have would be either -X00 Mahogony, D2000 or Alpha Primes.

I had a pair of HD650s years ago and I didn't like them - lacking bass and too thin to my ears but that may have been influenced by the dac/amp I had at the time.

Dec 11, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #371 of 815
Disappointingly (but not surprisingly) I'm struggling to source a -X00 Purpleheart in the UK (and I really want to avoid import duties from USA etc as it will crush my budget) so I think the only options I have would be either -X00 Mahogony, D2000 or Alpha Primes.

I had a pair of HD650s years ago and I didn't like them - lacking bass and too thin to my ears but that may have been influenced by the dac/amp I had at the time.

HD650 too thin? I think most would agree that they're lush/warm. It most likely could've been source etc.

Dec 11, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #373 of 815

D2000s are absolutely fantastic. I have a pair that I've put TH-600 cups on / added removable cables and I like them more than these Denon D5200.

Dec 11, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #374 of 815
D2000s are absolutely fantastic. I have a pair that I've put TH-600 cups on / added removable cables and I like them more than these Denon D5200.
Cool glad you like the D2000.

I still may purchase D2000 but I'd buy them as second choice with my heart set on -x00 purpleheart (excuse the pun lol) which I think will be elusive unless I get a lucky find here in the UK.

Dec 11, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #375 of 815
Cool glad you like the D2000.

I still may purchase D2000 but I'd buy them as second choice with my heart set on -x00 purpleheart (excuse the pun lol) which I think will be elusive unless I get a lucky find here in the UK.

I've actually owned TH-X00 Purpleheart as well (but I sold those in the Summer). They're great and definitely the bassiest model, but I'd say it comes at a price of muddiness. I actually enjoy the overall sound of D2K with upgraded cups more. Less bloat in the bass which leads to an overall more pleasing sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back