Denon AH-D5200 (little brother of the AH-D7200)
Dec 15, 2020 at 2:07 AM Post #391 of 815
Cool to know that ! Does Yaxi Alcantara fit well to D5200 , easy to fix ? How much is this pad?

Need to make the adapter rings (like previously posted) for any TH sized pads to fit securely...will fall off too easy when handling without an adapter ring. Really easy to make with an x-acto knife and yogurt plastic lid. The Yaxi Alcantara pad is $58.

Dec 15, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #392 of 815
How is the performance of these in gaming? I have a few headphones but none of them ever retailed at $700. Plus it has been a while since I listened to any mid-range or decent headphones outside of my headphones. In the process of picking up a pair for $350 as an early christmas gift to myself. I have a pair of dt990s that I haven't listened to in forever and have been using the sennheiser game one but would not mind replacing them for something more impressive but will stick to my pair if it more sense.

Dec 15, 2020 at 10:18 PM Post #393 of 815
Dec 16, 2020 at 7:18 AM Post #394 of 815
How is the performance of these in gaming? I have a few headphones but none of them ever retailed at $700. Plus it has been a while since I listened to any mid-range or decent headphones outside of my headphones. In the process of picking up a pair for $350 as an early christmas gift to myself. I have a pair of dt990s that I haven't listened to in forever and have been using the sennheiser game one but would not mind replacing them for something more impressive but will stick to my pair if it more sense.

Just a guess but I think they would good but not great. The clarity and direction would be good but not sure about distance information. Also if the game has a lot of bass(explosions) might be too much?

Dec 16, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #395 of 815
Just a guess but I think they would good but not great. The clarity and direction would be good but not sure about distance information. Also if the game has a lot of bass(explosions) might be too much?
Yeah... I actually got my pair last night. The bass is way more than I am used to. I only got to use them for like 10 minutes. Will try them tonight. No biggie though since I have the sennheiser game one headphones. Was just looking to replace them as my daily drivers for gaming.

Dec 16, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #396 of 815
I will share my pick up as of last night. Trying to decide what I am going to do with my other headphones since they have seen such little use as of late. This is my first time diving into this price range with headphones. Decided on these because of the statements of it being fun, a great all rounder, and having fantastic sound for the price point. The critiques I saw did not bother me much as it seems hyper specialized/higher end listening ruins the experience that this offers. Oh and this thing definitely benefitted from an amp. Night and day difference, not sure why anyone would use a mobile phone as a source without an amp with these.

For reference I still have an older dt990 600ohm(don't use as the headphones are in poor condition for... reasons) , Alessandro MS2i, and sennheiser game one(for gaming/discord chats mostly).

Attachments

• 20201215_194832.jpg
    20201215_194832.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Dec 16, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #397 of 815
I will share my pick up as of last night. Trying to decide what I am going to do with my other headphones since they have seen such little use as of late. This is my first time diving into this price range with headphones. Decided on these because of the statements of it being fun, a great all rounder, and having fantastic sound for the price point. The critiques I saw did not bother me much as it seems hyper specialized/higher end listening ruins the experience that this offers. Oh and this thing definitely benefitted from an amp. Night and day difference, not sure why anyone would use a mobile phone as a source without an amp with these.

For reference I still have an older dt990 600ohm(don't use as the headphones are in poor condition for... reasons) , Alessandro MS2i, and sennheiser game one(for gaming/discord chats mostly).
Congrats on your purchase. Here a recent happy owner of a 7200 which I believe are very similar. I use them with my daps, Sony nwa-55L and Astell Sr25 and with my old excellent Denon stereo.
I am interested in what you say about the benefits of an amp. Would you please elaborate? What amp do you use? What are the benefits?

Dec 16, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #398 of 815
Hello :)

It's good to see the Denon AH-D5200 still has fans!

I have been doing my research because I have access to a pair at a very good price.

My musing has been that I'm missing something from my headphone line up.

I have the HD6XX's coming in, as well as the 4XX.

Considerations
  • I've toyed with the idea of:
    • HE560, Audio Quest Nighthawk, Beyer Dt770, K371, Oppo PM3, ATH-MSR7b, Fostex T20/T50
    • Even Ananda
      • Though Ananda was more expensive than the rest for it, saw a pretty good deal for it.
  • Cannot really consider the similar wood-backed fostex's and emu-teks that people seem to be praising over the 5200's because I simply don't have access to those at a reasonable price for me.
  • All my research has led me to make an account here at Head-Fi having been a long-time lurker (for years!). I'm finally moving out of CHiFi gear. I've enjoyed all the good gear I've used so far and am now looking for something new!

I think I'm going for it!
As far as the Denon5200's go, I think I am drawn heavily to the following:
  • The bass and sub-bass seem considerable compared to either of the headphones I have coming in.
  • They are closed back and even though perfect isolation is not what I am seeking, this, and the premium build at lower than MSRP price point compared to everything else I have considered is a big draw.
  • I have heard a binaural sound test on YouTube and from what I've read elsewhere and seen from freq' response graphs on the honorable crinacle's, 'crinacle.com' website, treble falls off a little.
    • In the binaural sound recording test I felt that the female singer's voice sounded slightly 'hollow' compared to the 58x jubilee that the YouTuber was testing...I think Oluv is his name?
    • Indeed when looking at the frequency response graphs of the 58x which are similar to 600 and 650, the 5200's fall off noticeably more so in the 14k - 20k range.
    • Yet, I seemed to enjoy the lower frequencies and the midrange seemed smooth as well. Of course these are just preliminary thoughts from just reading and hearing those tests on YT.
    • TLDR - Literally the only thing that I'm worried about is if my ears will adjust to no longer hearing or feeling that the treble is slightly recessed and can lead to a slight hollow sound. There will be no answer to this till I get a pair and listen to it - I understand :)

• A quick list of notes I made from sifting through various threads/ reviews/ comments on the internet about the AH-D5200 that might be useful for anyone wanting to read a collection of thoughts about them:
    • DO take ALL of these with notes with a grain of salt and research yourselves because I did, and this is just a collection of notes that shouldn't inform your entire opinion or choice for one headphone over another!
    • Zebrawood cups help add to (questionable) the warm sound.
      • Sound is deep, never hollow
    • Bass substantial but not headshaking
    • Tending towards warm side, but not too dark. Not bright.
    • Does not deliver 'pro' level of transparency
    • Don't need pristine quiet environment to enjoy
    • Vocals 'glossy'
    • Most 'balanced' out of 7200 and 9200 range (questionable)
    • Solid build quality - no sense it should break soon
    • Best for home use/ quiet active home listening
    • Excellent sub-bass, not attention grabbing or artificially highlighted
    • Vocals less realistic/ naturally rendered, light spike in upper mid frequencies, treble falls off @ higher frequencies
    • Excellent for movies, dialogue sounds up front and clear
    • Great positioning and tracking of sounds in games
    • Not too hard to drive/ power
    • Compared to HD650 and 4XX, one user said his D5200 was used for night time listening to relieve stress, while the others are 'eating dust' and used for weekend critical listening with head amp
    • Compared to DT770 pro, much smoother bass but slight recessed upped mids and treble.
    • Compared to 6XX, user said D5200 was similar but with better bass although it was to him, brighter.
    • One user said he sent back his Sundara and with the money he saved he was gonna get a shorter cable to use on the sofa with the Denon.
    • YMMV

Conclusions; TLDR

• Thanks for reading my first real post on Head-Fi!
  • Feels good to post something after years of lurking haha.
  • Thank you to everyone that has shared their thoughts here on Head-Fi about this interesting pair of headphones.
    • Your anecdotes, mod-advice and discussions have been amusing + informative + definitely helped me!
  • If my collection of notes managed to help anyone that's awesome!
  • Do message or write back if you ever want to say anything about the 5200.
  • The only media I've watched about the AH-D5200 was the binaural sound test I mentioned earlier by 'Oluv's gadgets' on YouTube so I'm going to go look on YouTube to see for any other reviews for it - I've deliberately saved this act for the last thing to do before making my final decision but to me it seems and sounds to mine own ears that I've made my decision lol.

Cool!

Wishing you all wellness,

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2020 at 11:26 PM Post #399 of 815
What the AH-D5200 with Yaxi TH610 Alcantara pads is bringing to mind right now as I'm listening to the fantastic Senri Kawaguchi 'Cider' CD on my Xbox One -> RME ADI-2 DAC -> Project Ember with Reflector 6H23n-EB tube, is what it would be like to merge a STAX SR-L700 with TH-X00 Purpleheart... just simply breathtaking. The speed, minute detail and intonations, and finesse with that tight, powerful low end and such a nice musical sound with improved treble...

I officially love this more than my Purplehearts...and it is absolutely stunning me.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2020 at 12:20 AM Post #400 of 815
Hello :)

It's good to see the Denon AH-D5200 still has fans!

I have been doing my research because I have access to a pair at a very good price.

My musing has been that I'm missing something from my headphone line up.

I have the HD6XX's coming in, as well as the 4XX.

Considerations
  • I've toyed with the idea of:
    • HE560, Audio Quest Nighthawk, Beyer Dt770, K371, Oppo PM3, ATH-MSR7b, Fostex T20/T50
    • Even Ananda
      • Though Ananda was more expensive than the rest for it, saw a pretty good deal for it.
  • Cannot really consider the similar wood-backed fostex's and emu-teks that people seem to be praising over the 5200's because I simply don't have access to those at a reasonable price for me.
  • All my research has led me to make an account here at Head-Fi having been a long-time lurker (for years!). I'm finally moving out of CHiFi gear. I've enjoyed all the good gear I've used so far and am now looking for something new!

I think I'm going for it!
As far as the Denon5200's go, I think I am drawn heavily to the following:
  • The bass and sub-bass seem considerable compared to either of the headphones I have coming in.
  • They are closed back and even though perfect isolation is not what I am seeking, this, and the premium build at lower than MSRP price point compared to everything else I have considered is a big draw.
  • I have heard a binaural sound test on YouTube and from what I've read elsewhere and seen from freq' response graphs on the honorable crinacle's, 'crinacle.com' website, treble falls off a little.
    • In the binaural sound recording test I felt that the female singer's voice sounded slightly 'hollow' compared to the 58x jubilee that the YouTuber was testing...I think Oluv is his name?
    • Indeed when looking at the frequency response graphs of the 58x which are similar to 600 and 650, the 5200's fall off noticeably more so in the 14k - 20k range.
    • Yet, I seemed to enjoy the lower frequencies and the midrange seemed smooth as well. Of course these are just preliminary thoughts from just reading and hearing those tests on YT.
    • TLDR - Literally the only thing that I'm worried about is if my ears will adjust to no longer hearing or feeling that the treble is slightly recessed and can lead to a slight hollow sound. There will be no answer to this till I get a pair and listen to it - I understand :)

• A quick list of notes I made from sifting through various threads/ reviews/ comments on the internet about the AH-D5200 that might be useful for anyone wanting to read a collection of thoughts about them:
    • DO take ALL of these with notes with a grain of salt and research yourselves because I did, and this is just a collection of notes that shouldn't inform your entire opinion or choice for one headphone over another!
    • Zebrawood cups help add to (questionable) the warm sound.
      • Sound is deep, never hollow
    • Bass substantial but not headshaking
    • Tending towards warm side, but not too dark. Not bright.
    • Does not deliver 'pro' level of transparency
    • Don't need pristine quiet environment to enjoy
    • Vocals 'glossy'
    • Most 'balanced' out of 7200 and 9200 range (questionable)
    • Solid build quality - no sense it should break soon
    • Best for home use/ quiet active home listening
    • Excellent sub-bass, not attention grabbing or artificially highlighted
    • Vocals less realistic/ naturally rendered, light spike in upper mid frequencies, treble falls off @ higher frequencies
    • Excellent for movies, dialogue sounds up front and clear
    • Great positioning and tracking of sounds in games
    • Not too hard to drive/ power
    • Compared to HD650 and 4XX, one user said his D5200 was used for night time listening to relieve stress, while the others are 'eating dust' and used for weekend critical listening with head amp
    • Compared to DT770 pro, much smoother bass but slight recessed upped mids and treble.
    • Compared to 6XX, user said D5200 was similar but with better bass although it was to him, brighter.
    • One user said he sent back his Sundara and with the money he saved he was gonna get a shorter cable to use on the sofa with the Denon.
    • YMMV

Conclusions; TLDR

• Thanks for reading my first real post on Head-Fi!
  • Feels good to post something after years of lurking haha.
  • Thank you to everyone that has shared their thoughts here on Head-Fi about this interesting pair of headphones.
    • Your anecdotes, mod-advice and discussions have been amusing + informative + definitely helped me!
  • If my collection of notes managed to help anyone that's awesome!
  • Do message or write back if you ever want to say anything about the 5200.
  • The only media I've watched about the AH-D5200 was the binaural sound test I mentioned earlier by 'Oluv's gadgets' on YouTube so I'm going to go look on YouTube to see for any other reviews for it - I've deliberately saved this act for the last thing to do before making my final decision but to me it seems and sounds to mine own ears that I've made my decision lol.

Cool!

Wishing you all wellness,

I'd say go for the Denon AH-D5200 if it's feasible for you. It has great combination of precision, detail, and power/impact in the bass... better than any Fostex I've heard (note: this is with different than stock pads and an EQ and setup geared towards biodyna headphones.) Tight and fast but punches HARD and still musical. The TH-X00 Purplehearts were all I really cared about for the past 3 years (other than the Porta Pros...) in a closed back - the AH-D5200 absolutely changes that! I'm getting more use to it comfort wise as well, the headband is not really bothering me that much anymore. Still not as comfortable as the TH-X00 chassis though.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #401 of 815
EDIT: Having just posted this, I'm not sure I used the quote function correctly :)

The TH-X00 Purplehearts were all I really cared about for the past 3 years

I see that in your profile picture! :beerchug:

in a closed back - the AH-D5200 absolutely changes that!

:scream_cat:

what it would be like to merge a STAX SR-L700 with TH-X00 Purpleheart

:scream_cat: :scream_cat::trophy::trophy:

setup geared towards biodyna headphones

I read your post that you're using the Project Ember DIY amp, I haven't really looked that much into DIY projects...like I've heard of bottle head crack, O2 by NwAVGuy but not much else.

But what you're saying is that these headphones play well with tube amps?
(biodyna drivers) - sound more 'woody'/ bass is not loud but 'thumpy'??​
with improved treble...
The only thing I'm slightly hesitant about at this point cause I'll probably not get into tubes for quite some years at least...

or should I start a DIY project as an excuse to learn how to solder. I kind of need to anyway for a mech keyboard project later next year... :smiling_imp: the only thing is, I'm sure it's more than just learning how to solder haha :sunglasses:

I am able to count only on EQ, pad mods, and maybe other smaller DIY mods for now.
:deadhorse: <---simply had to find a reason to use b' a' d' horse gif

Tight and fast but punches HARD and still musical.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #402 of 815
I'm listening to the fantastic Senri Kawaguchi 'Cider' CD on my Xbox One -> RME ADI-2 DAC -> Project Ember with Reflector 6H23n-EB tube,

This is a great one to test with :) Going to test this one with 6XX later today to see how it handles everything. I'd imagine not as adeptly on the lower end

I opened the Lawton mods page on hifiguides. I wanna read it but initimidated by :rabbit:rabbit hole:hole: and more reasons to spend more $ :gs1000smile:

I mean it certainly looks practically useful if not aesthetically beautiful.
New pads have much more space for ears (not sure if mine will fit stock pads).

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #403 of 815
Congrats on your purchase. Here a recent happy owner of a 7200 which I believe are very similar. I use them with my daps, Sony nwa-55L and Astell Sr25 and with my old excellent Denon stereo.
I am interested in what you say about the benefits of an amp. Would you please elaborate? What amp do you use? What are the benefits?
Ah to provide some insight. My source is my computer which my motherboard has an above average soundcard onboard. Driving the headphones from the computer still had good sound. However max volume on the computer was too quiet and the sound was a little disappointing compared to my other cans considering the MSRP. I have had my amp for forever and I unfortunately forgot the name but it was like a limited run back in like 2007 for headfi but it is a solid state amp and has been going strong all of these years. Anyways, I set it up and the sound was immediately fuller and it could actually get LOUD with it to the point where it can be way too much(but that is good cause I can always turn it down).

I tried them gaming last night and was definitely hearing stuff from "longer distances" and smaller details more often. However, I think I might reserve the headphones for more cinematic experiences since I don't have a spare mic outside of the one attached to my gaming cans.

Some other thoughts, the cans had bass aplenty. I am not used to this much bass. Like I love the speed of the Alessandro(Grado) MS2i is fantastic and punchy but are not deep. All of my cans except for my DT990 600 ohm have been bass anemic but these even blow those out. My cranium isn't accustomed to the bass yet but it feels fine and not bloated or boomy. I love the fact that it doesn't sound dark. That is usually my biggest gripe with closed headphones. Can't wait to try it out on a long session during the weekend or maybe Friday night.

Dec 19, 2020 at 8:28 AM Post #404 of 815
Does anyone have a pair from the recent bf deal for sale? Denim ended up cancelling my order but never told me respite multiple emails. The order status still even says Released online. I finally got through to them on Twitter. Not a great customer experience :frowning2: these were to have been a gift. Ugh.

Dec 19, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #405 of 815
Does anyone have a pair from the recent bf deal for sale? Denim ended up cancelling my order but never told me respite multiple emails. The order status still even says Released online. I finally got through to them on Twitter. Not a great customer experience :frowning2: these were to have been a gift. Ugh.
I think few pages back (maybe 10 ish pages ago?) I remember someone tried and wasn't his/her cup of tea so he's/she's selling it I think.

Though if it's a gift I guess depending on who you're giving to might be weird to give used item as gift? Again really depending on who you're giving it to and the situation so it could still totally work.

But yeah check back to see if you can find the post and good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back