Denon AH-D5200 (little brother of the AH-D7200)
Jun 15, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #603 of 815
Would these cables be good as a stock replacement. I use these at my desk and the stock cable is WAY too long.
Feadback page number 2, this cable and 7200
2021-06-03_225324.png
As it seems to me, for the 5200 as well as for the 9200, a thick copper 6N/7N cable without silver is best
And in general, when I see a silver-plated cable and the price is $10 it makes me smile. It's just hard to believe in it... At the same time, they don't write what kind of copper is used in this cable, but they didn't forget about silver

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #604 of 815
So I recently got the D5200 and I'm exploring source options. Just wondering what does everyone use to drive it?

My previous go to was Dragonfly Red + D2000 but I think it's too warm on the D5200, I recently got the Cobalt but now it's too lean LOLLLLL sigh my life. Grace M9XX was about right but I sold it now regret selling it :sob:

Will give Project Polaris another try tonight. Previously was a bit conflicted about this amp since there are some area it does really great (amazing mid range details) but some area I thought was a bit odd (felt a bit slow? also seem to have roll off sub bass which I thought was odd). Also I didn't have a good source DAC to go with it. Maybe I'll try Project Polaris + Cobalt tonight and see what happens haha.

One of my friend want me to go either Violectric V200 + Soekris 1321 or RNHP + Bifrost 2 but I want to explore more wallet friendly options first before I go nuts. Though sometimes you save money by going straight to the target instead of buying and selling upwards slowly. So he could be right. :thinking:

Curious what everyone here thinks.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #605 of 815
So I recently got the D5200 and I'm exploring source options. Just wondering what does everyone use to drive it?

My previous go to was Dragonfly Red + D2000 but I think it's too warm on the D5200, I recently got the Cobalt but now it's too lean LOLLLLL sigh my life. Grace M9XX was about right but I sold it now regret selling it :sob:

Will give Project Polaris another try tonight. Previously was a bit conflicted about this amp since there are some area it does really great (amazing mid range details) but some area I thought was a bit odd (felt a bit slow? also seem to have roll off sub bass which I thought was odd). Also I didn't have a good source DAC to go with it. Maybe I'll try Project Polaris + Cobalt tonight and see what happens haha.

One of my friend want me to go either Violectric V200 + Soekris 1321 or RNHP + Bifrost 2 but I want to explore more wallet friendly options first before I go nuts. Though sometimes you save money by going straight to the target instead of buying and selling upwards slowly. So he could be right. :thinking:

I wouldn't get anything too powerful unless it has a gain switch that significantly reduces the output power. These Denons are meant to be driven easily portably, so a strong amp will not make it sound better. I think an amp with low gain for portable headphones are appropriate. Don't overthink what you should drive these with, or think these will scale with powerful amps or anything.

These get driven easily from a smartphone headphone output, so these do not need much power.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #606 of 815
I wouldn't get anything too powerful unless it has a gain switch that significantly reduces the output power. These Denons are meant to be driven easily portably, so a strong amp will not make it sound better. I think an amp with low gain for portable headphones are appropriate. Don't overthink what you should drive these with, or think these will scale with powerful amps or anything.

These get driven easily from a smartphone headphone output, so these do not need much power.
lol time to test my collections of dongles tonight then. :laughing:

Jul 23, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #607 of 815

I like warm...and my work setup right now is pretty warm: AH-D5200 w/ Yaxi TH610 Alcantara pads + Project Ember II w/ 6H23P-EB + DFR + EQ (both Loki and Foobar)... + alien pop :L3000:...

i-G6d5KnX.jpg

Less warm than a Purpleheart though... and I actually really like it for that reason... much more control and definition in the low end and better separation/clarity.

I will say the RME ADI-2 DAC is a step up over the DFR though...much more neutral DAC with better sound presentation. RME DAC + a Garage 1217 amp is a beautiful combo.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2021 at 9:21 PM Post #608 of 815
I was using mine with the JDSLabs atom and it has a clean background. Plenty of power on low gain and the sound was nice.

Now I use my '78 Technics SA200. Seems like more power than the atom but not has a little background noise. Thing is the tone, midrange, and dynamics on this amp surprises me.

Goes to show you can run this hp on anything.

Jul 23, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #609 of 815
I'm using Schiit Jot2/BF2 combo and sometimes a Vali2 used as a tube preamp/buffer in between the two with the D5200. Sounds good to my ears.

Jul 24, 2021 at 12:53 AM Post #610 of 815
lol really do sound like everyone's using a wide range of gear. I guess like you guys said D5200 just sounds good on anything eh?
I like warm...and my work setup right now is pretty warm: AH-D5200 w/ Yaxi TH610 Alcantara pads + Project Ember II w/ 6H23P-EB + DFR + EQ (both Loki and Foobar)... + alien pop :L3000:...

i-G6d5KnX.jpg

Less warm than a Purpleheart though... and I actually really like it for that reason... much more control and definition in the low end and better separation/clarity.

I will say the RME ADI-2 DAC is a step up over the DFR though...much more neutral DAC with better sound presentation. RME DAC + a Garage 1217 amp is a beautiful combo.
So funny enough since I sold most of my other gear so I only have Project Polaris and Dragonfly Red and Cobalt left. So it's like let's see what I can do.

Project Polaris + Dragonfly Red = Sounds pretty good to me but isn't as detailed / layered as I hope for.

Project Polaris + Dragonfly Cobalt = This comes as a huge surprise LOL. Since using straight Dragonfly I actually like the Red better than Cobalt (too lean), but with this combo Cobalt is actually a lot more detailed and layering is much better. I bought the Cobalt with intention to use it straight but turns out it's much better feeding to Project Polaris.

I might actually use this combo for a bit and see how it goes, thanks for the feedback guys! :smiley:

Aug 5, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #615 of 815
What are your impressions of 5200? :) Don't you regret buying? I read here earlier, you're in luck to test different Denon headphones..

I bought mine 5200 in may, absolutely blindly, half a year before that I heard only 7200 of my friend, so I became interested in Denon

I'm in love with how they look and how comfortable they are, but about sound, it took a month to get used to them and set up for my ears, something realy very good, something so-so (mid bass) and have to use an equalizer
as a result, they now sound almost like 7200 the difference is very small something a little better something a little worse

In my case, the price difference between 5200 and 7200 was only 122 euros. I thought to buy 5200, if I don't like it, I will return them and buy 7200, but in the end I stayed with 5200:sweat_smile:
I think a really worthwhile upgrade given the frequency response for me would have been 9200, but too expensive for me and at a good price I can’t find them yet:smirk:

Sorry for my English - i'm not a polyglot (but i try)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back