Denon AH-D5200 (little brother of the AH-D7200)
May 8, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #571 of 815
Just got the d5200.The sound suits me just perfect.Musical and enganging.BUT it looks like i have gotten an demo model from the store or something 😔 So im going to try to get an discount.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210508-153118_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210508-153118_Gallery.jpg
    645.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20210508-153129_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210508-153129_Gallery.jpg
    705 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20210508-153139_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210508-153139_Gallery.jpg
    527.8 KB · Views: 0
May 10, 2021 at 7:25 AM Post #572 of 815
First of all, I want to thank all those who wrote about their feelings from using d5200, comparison with other models and detailed photos

I understand that the perception of sound is a very individual thing.
But what do you think, in your opinion, how well these headphones would fit for listening to styles such as сhillout, ambient, vocal house?

I live in a very small town, unfortunately I can't test them, and also compare with some other models due to their absence. There is only sony mdr-z7 old version

May 10, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #573 of 815
First of all, I want to thank all those who wrote about their feelings from using d5200, comparison with other models and detailed photos

But what do you think, in your opinion, how well these headphones would fit for listening to styles such as сhillout, ambient, vocal house?

I live in a very small town, unfortunately I can't test them, and also compare with some other models due to their absence. There is only sony mdr-z7 old version
IMO, the D5200s are good at everything however dont excel at anything. They're perfectly suitable to chillout/lounge/ambience etc, which I listen to often.

I have to admit though, they lag behind the HE5LE when it comes to those genres. The HE5LE has alot more prowess and authority IMO.

EDIT: Comparing to what I currently own. Very difficult to compare to my previous pairs.

Last edited:
May 10, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #574 of 815

I think the D5200 will do well in the genres you mentioned. As a closed back, it sounds really wide open for the soundstage. Instruments and vocals are pretty well separated and have room to breathe. Does not sound congested , it actually does a better job at this trait than my open backs Sundara and Fidelio X2HR. D5200 also does this better than my AQ Nighthawk and my Elegia that I once owned.

It has the right balance of immediacy and relaxation, very good inner detail retrieval at its price point. It's pretty neutral for its tonality, maybe a bit sparkly up top, slightly bump in the vocals, and solid bottom end to my ears and gear. Very well rounded and enjoyable.

May 10, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #575 of 815
I think the D5200 will do well in the genres you mentioned. As a closed back, it sounds really wide open for the soundstage. Instruments and vocals are pretty well separated and have room to breathe. Does not sound congested , it actually does a better job at this trait than my open backs Sundara and Fidelio X2HR. D5200 also does this better than my AQ Nighthawk and my Elegia that I once owned.

It has the right balance of immediacy and relaxation, very good inner detail retrieval at its price point. It's pretty neutral for its tonality, maybe a bit sparkly up top, slightly bump in the vocals, and solid bottom end to my ears and gear. Very well rounded and enjoyable.
Agree... and with Yaxi TH610 Alcantara pads it gets a little more relaxed treble and bit more subbass presence over stock... along with improved comfort. Like a more refined TH-X00 Purpleheart with much less congested sound... the Fostex TH series (modded) simply isn't as good in detail, separation, and precision/fluidity of sound and has more recessed vocals compared to an AH-D5200. The Denon has punchy yet very balanced sound, where TH-X00 series have fatter and warmer bottom end and less controlled overall. The zebrawood cups are part of the reason...

Last edited:
May 15, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #576 of 815
I enjoyed the Denon's enough that I wanted to customize them primarily for comfort. My hair is thinning, so like many others on this thread - the headband caused a sore spot after a couple of hours of listening. I'd be regularly shifting my headphones to move the hot spot right at the center of the band . . . So I requested that Vesper Audio make a custom headband for them. While I was there - I figured I'd buy pads as well since shipping can be pricey. I ended up getting black leather pads, 15mm in the front, 25 mm at the back - with a fenestrated interior to reduce echoes. I was surprised with my Monoprice M1060C's how much the fenestrations affected the sound for the better, in this case - they sound more open.

I ended up settling with a totally round ear-hole, with a 20mm border. I actually initially requested their standard Denon ear-hole, and I'm guessing it was for the earlier models because the driver was slightly blocked. The D5200 hole is larger, and shifted about 3mm forward. I gave Vesper the dimensions for the D5200 earholes so if you wanted that instead of a round hole - I'm sure they can accommodate you. Demonstrating great customer service, when I showed them pictures of the mismatch - they offered me replacements immediately.

The headband is great - just what I'd hoped for. I initially thought I might need to add more padding under the headband becuase there's still pressure at the top of my head - but it's not the outright discomfort I had before and I can listen for hours without shifting.

If you know what you want in earpads and need something different than what's on offer - I highly recommend Vesper pads.

Attachments

• Denon1.jpg
    Denon1.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Denon2.jpg
    Denon2.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Denon3.jpg
    Denon3.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 0
May 15, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #577 of 815
Ohhh I've never heard of them but that's cool how you can ask for custom designed ear pads from them? Do you know where they're based from? I'm just wondering if I order from Canada if it would be very expensive.

However I'm running out of luck trying to find replacement for my Denon D2000, so I might give this a try.

Pads I've tried on my D2000:

TH610 stock pad (probably closest in terms of shape)
TH900 stock pad
TH-X00/E-Mu Teak pad (which is actually different than D2000 pad)
T60RP stock pad
Yaxi TH610/TH900 pleather pad
AHG perforated leather pad
Dekoni TH-X00 pleather
Dekoni TH-X00 leather
Dekoni TH-X00 elite hybrid
Geekria D2000 pad
Brainwavz round
aliexpress D2000 pad
aliexpress TH900 Pad

At this rate the money I spent on trying pads is way more than the headphone itself LOL.

May 16, 2021 at 5:40 AM Post #578 of 815
The seller has the code 8 107 this is the code of Russia
Operator code (977) indicates that this is the Russian mobile operator "Tele2"

If this seller doesn"t ship from Russia, then I am almost sure the seller is dropshipping. Most often these are products from China.
And this may indicate that it is possible to find the same, for example, on taobao, etc . Just an opinion...

May 16, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #579 of 815
Ohhh I've never heard of them but that's cool how you can ask for custom designed ear pads from them? Do you know where they're based from? I'm just wondering if I order from Canada if it would be very expensive.

However I'm running out of luck trying to find replacement for my Denon D2000, so I might give this a try.

Pads I've tried on my D2000:

TH610 stock pad (probably closest in terms of shape)
TH900 stock pad
TH-X00/E-Mu Teak pad (which is actually different than D2000 pad)
T60RP stock pad
Yaxi TH610/TH900 pleather pad
AHG perforated leather pad
Dekoni TH-X00 pleather
Dekoni TH-X00 leather
Dekoni TH-X00 elite hybrid
Geekria D2000 pad
Brainwavz round
aliexpress D2000 pad
aliexpress TH900 Pad

At this rate the money I spent on trying pads is way more than the headphone itself LOL.
Vesper Audio is out of Belarus. In the US I've usually gotten my pad orders from them between 1 and 2 months after ordering. Depending on the options you choose, pads can be between $50 and $70 dollars.

I've had them make pads for my Koss ESP95X, my Kaldas RR1'S, these Denon and my Monoprice M1060C's.

Here's their thread so you can see what's possible. With all the pads you've tried, I hope you narrowed down the combination of features you like.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/vesper-audio-custom-earpads-impressions-thread.864077/

May 16, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #580 of 815
The seller has the code 8 107 this is the code of Russia
Operator code (977) indicates that this is the Russian mobile operator "Tele2"

If this seller doesn"t ship from Russia, then I am almost sure the seller is dropshipping. Most often these are products from China.
And this may indicate that it is possible to find the same, for example, on taobao, etc . Just an opinion...
I've tried searching on AliExpress before and can't find anything that's EXACTLY the same. So I might give these guys a shot and see what happens, I sent them a message with my exact specifications. Let's see what they say. :p

Vesper Audio is out of Belarus. In the US I've usually gotten my pad orders from them between 1 and 2 months after ordering. Depending on the options you choose, pads can be between $50 and $70 dollars.

I've had them make pads for my Koss ESP95X, my Kaldas RR1'S, these Denon and my Monoprice M1060C's.

Here's their thread so you can see what's possible. With all the pads you've tried, I hope you narrowed down the combination of features you like.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/vesper-audio-custom-earpads-impressions-thread.864077/
If it's between $50-70 then it's really not that bad, most ear pad these days cost about that much anyway.

I actually want exactly what most people NOT want these days LOL. Denon stock pads is pleather, people want leather, Denon stock pad uses some kind of soft foam so it compress more, people want memory foam which doesn't compress much, and I want shallow pad like the original while people want thick for comfort. Ear hole size and location need to be the same too. Bigger hole reduce bass and reduce mid range, smaller hole bring the mid range back (that's why TH900 pad is more v shaped and people put TH610 pad on them to bring back mids). Then I need them to sew in the attenuation ring like the original too.

Refer to D2000 pad:

https://drop.com/talk/23166/denon-fostex-ear-pad-guide

But in short I basically need TH610 pad with open cell foam instead of memory foam.

Reason for this exact specifications is because any of the above will change how things sound, yes even from pleather to leather (refer to ZMF pads), memory foam is said to sound horrible for Denons based from old documentation I read (some guy rip off the memory foam and replaced with regular open cell foam for his Denon). So effectively everything need to meet the criteria to sound "correct". Kind of why I've been having so much trouble.

So if they're as they said hand craft to specification then this might work. I've shoot them a message and let's see what they say. Watch they'll just read my message and be like you're insane LOL. Even as I type this message I think I'm crazy LOL.

I'll keep you guys updated!

Last edited:
May 17, 2021 at 12:52 AM Post #582 of 815
So is padswapping an interchangeable experience through all of the denon line including the newer ones?
I forgot the exact measurement, but the older Fostex made headphones (D2000, D5000, D7000) and all the current Fostex (TH610, TH900) are about 10 cm diameter. The newer Denon (D5200, D7200, D9200) are something like 9 something cm (forgot exact number).

So VRacer-111 proposed that you can make a boarder extender of some sort out of yogurt container lid. To make the 9 something cm into 10 cm, then you can use any of the Fostex compatible ear pads.

I don't know about the new Denons, but the older Denon and current Fostex line is very sensitive to pad change. I'd stick to stock pad if possible. The only exception is maybe TH900, some report TH900 sounds better using TH610 / D2000 / D5000 / D7000 pads. Which from my experience, having smaller ear hole bring out the bass impact and the mids more.

VRacer-111 recommend Yaxi TH610/TH900 Alcantara pads on D5200. However be warned that I find pad rolling heavily depends on preference so you might need to trial and error a bit until you find your perfect sound. Generally speaking I think the engineers did their homework and I like stock pads the best (for sound).

May 18, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #583 of 815
I've tried searching on AliExpress before and can't find anything that's EXACTLY the same.
Just FYI - we never resell anything China-made, etc. All of our pads and cables are 100% made by hand in the house. And made to order. It is not some serial production. That's why each order can be vastly customized.

May 18, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #584 of 815
Just FYI - we never resell anything China-made, etc. All of our pads and cables are 100% made by hand in the house. And made to order. It is not some serial production. That's why each order can be vastly customized.
LOL I'm surprised you guys found your way here. Haha but that's good to hear!

I got your e-mail reply! I think I'm ok to give it a try despite some stuff can't be made 100% exact (i.e. leather as oppose to pleather and open cell foam vs memory foam). But otherwise everything else sounds promising.

Let me figure out what I want in this case (might modify a little bit to compensate for the material difference, i.e. maybe make it a tiny bit thinner so it compress more? not sure yet) then I'll let you guys know, thanks!

May 18, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #585 of 815

Good that you are here engaging with your user base. How do you deliver to the EU - directly from BY or possibly from inside the Union?

As most EU residents would agree, delivery from the EU is an enormous advantage - not having to deal with customs clearance, duty and tax payments. You might want to think about shipping from LT or PL if you don't do it yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back