Denon AH-D5200 (little brother of the AH-D7200)
Jan 1, 2022 at 7:55 PM Post #631 of 815
It did cross my mind but don't tell my wife shhhhhhhh....... Also no solid plan yet since I spent too much money in December, if one pops up with good price I might grab it. But might not try too hard to hunt 1 down just yet...... yet....... LOL.

Also I'm forever dancing on the idea to grab Elegia to try just because it's so cheap now ($380 now from Adorama).

We'll see. :laughing:
I had Elegia before I got my D5200, so I wasn't able to do an AB comparison directly. But based on my memory of the Elegia, I prefer the D5200 over it. Its just a better overall headphone to my taste. Perhaps its the metallic driver of the Elegia that makes it less natural.

D5200 just sounds fun to listen to and I don't find any major weakness, a good all arounder. I agree with you, if the D5200 can get the D9200's resolution, that would be ideal. But as it is, D5200 is no slouch in that area. It checks a lot of boxes for me.

Jan 1, 2022 at 8:46 PM Post #632 of 815
I had Elegia before I got my D5200, so I wasn't able to do an AB comparison directly. But based on my memory of the Elegia, I prefer the D5200 over it. Its just a better overall headphone to my taste. Perhaps its the metallic driver of the Elegia that makes it less natural.

D5200 just sounds fun to listen to and I don't find any major weakness, a good all arounder. I agree with you, if the D5200 can get the D9200's resolution, that would be ideal. But as it is, D5200 is no slouch in that area. It checks a lot of boxes for me.
Ahhhh yeah I do read about the metallic timbre about Elegia from a lot of reviews, maybe I'll stick to D5200 then.

But yeah otherwise I tried a lot of Denon/Fostex headphones (including D2000, D5000, E-Mu Teak, Th-X00 variants, TH900, and D9200).

All things considered all of them have different issues. D5200 has issue too but it's the one with the least amount of issues lol.

And as you said it's just in general fun to listen to. If I'm nitpicking I'd say in general Fostex headphones are more semi open and presents a better sound stage and imaging over the newer Denon which is more like closed.

But for now I think all things considered D5200 is still the best for me. :)

Jan 2, 2022 at 3:23 AM Post #633 of 815
Also I'm forever dancing on the idea to grab Elegia to try just because it's so cheap now ($380 now from Adorama).

We'll see. :laughing:

Don't worry, you'll have the Elegia soon enough. (Speaking from experience) They do everything the D5200 does + some. Over here in Europe they are still some €500, and that's cheap. For $380 they are in giveaway country.

Jan 2, 2022 at 3:32 AM Post #634 of 815
Don't worry, you'll have the Elegia soon enough. (Speaking from experience) They do everything the D5200 does + some. Over here in Europe they are still some €500, and that's cheap. For $380 they are in giveaway country.
Nooooooooo why you do this to me LOL.

I'm also looking at Cayin RU6. The year only just started there's so many things I want to buy already noooooooo ~

Jan 2, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #635 of 815
Jan 2, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #637 of 815
I don't read measurements - I prefer to listen to music instead :D To me the Elegia sounds better than the D5200. Might be the new toy bias :) But both are excellent.
That's good to hear! I kind of just follow what I hear too (granted it's a bit expensive trial and error this way).

Out of curiosity, what source do you use to drive your D5200 and Elegia?

Also anyone here tried RU6 pairing with D5200 yet?

Jan 2, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #638 of 815
D9200 steer away from the typical Fostex/Denon bass slam which I miss (sub bass still hits deep, but lack mid bass). So you get hits but no rumble.

Since you've already reached the price of the d9200, in my opinion, ZMF Eikon would heal your expectations :)

Jan 2, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #639 of 815
D9200 steer away from the typical Fostex/Denon bass slam which I miss (sub bass still hits deep, but lack mid bass). So you get hits but no rumble.

Since you've already reached the price of the d9200, in my opinion, ZMF Eikon would heal your expectations :)
Lol I did consider Eikon before but it was a bit hard to find in Canada. Though I guess I can always buy it off someone from the states I guess.

I'll keep it on the list, might sell off the D9200 first to recoup some Christmas debt first.

Thanks for the suggestion!:laughing:

Jan 3, 2022 at 5:05 AM Post #640 of 815
That's good to hear! I kind of just follow what I hear too (granted it's a bit expensive trial and error this way).

Out of curiosity, what source do you use to drive your D5200 and Elegia?

Also anyone here tried RU6 pairing with D5200 yet?

I use either a small Pioneer XDP-30R or a Sony A55/FiioQ1mk2 combo, both usually balanced. (I have Meze SE and balanced cables that are luckily interchangeable for both D5200 & Elegia)

Currently the SE cable (with inline mic) is on the D5200, so that serves as a work headphone (Teams, Zoom, etc) and also as a TV headphone.

Jan 3, 2022 at 5:46 AM Post #641 of 815
Without EQ, I would expect that the D5200 would be better than the Elegia actually:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...al-elegia-review-closed-back-headphone.27977/
I prefer the D5200 ever so slightly over the Elegia..but I still wouldn’t put too much stock in Amir’s reviews outside of a good frequency response measurement.
They’re way too fond of the Harman target over there and use it in a way that superseeds it’s inherant value and what it indeed means. The Harman target is a preference curve, nothing more and nothing less. Of all the people that participated, this was their prefered target.
If you look at music in the same way, you could say that the prefered music target of the lager population is that of Taylor Swift or something along those lines. It does not mean that it is the “best” or most “ideal” music.

Anyhoo..back to Denons:) I really dig all of these models but not exactly in the order they appear pricewise. My favourite is the D7200..and I wouldn’t really know which one to chose over the other between the 5200 and 9200. The 7200 though is kinda special to me as it is the ‘original 9200 tuning’ whereas the flagship reigns back the wild gestures and feels more mature. The two headphones basically follow the same curve but the 7200 is more bolsterous and meaty in it’s delivery almost giving the impression that all music played through it receives some kind of steroids. There’s a distinct ‘punch’ to music over the 7200 that I haven’t come across in any other headphone.
The D5200 though is more of a ‘traditional’ tuning and sounds more realistic than any of it’s pricier brethren..and on paper most likely the one I’d prefer.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2022 at 6:31 AM Post #642 of 815
Lol I did consider Eikon before but it was a bit hard to find in Canada. Though I guess I can always buy it off someone from the states I guess.

I'll keep it on the list, might sell off the D9200 first to recoup some Christmas debt first.

Thanks for the suggestion!:laughing:
Don't even think twice. It's best if you listen to Atticus, there is a good chance that you will like it more than Eikon and you will save a few money :) The only drawback of these headphones is the weight. They are comfortable but heavy.

Jan 3, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #643 of 815
I use either a small Pioneer XDP-30R or a Sony A55/FiioQ1mk2 combo, both usually balanced. (I have Meze SE and balanced cables that are luckily interchangeable for both D5200 & Elegia)

Currently the SE cable (with inline mic) is on the D5200, so that serves as a work headphone (Teams, Zoom, etc) and also as a TV headphone.
I use D5200 for work at home now too. Never thought about the inline mic but that's a good call!

But yeah was I was pretty happy to learn they share the same cable since I hear the stock Elegia cable sucks LOL.
I prefer the D5200 ever so slightly over the Elegia..but I still wouldn’t put too much stock in Amir’s reviews outside of a good frequency response measurement.
They’re way too fond of the Harman target over there and use it in a way that superseeds it’s inherant value and what it indeed means. The Harman target is a preference curve, nothing more and nothing less. Of all the people that participated, this was their prefered target.
If you look at music in the same way, you could say that the prefered music target of the lager population is that of Taylor Swift or something along those lines. It does not mean that it is the “best” or most “ideal” music.

Anyhoo..back to Denons:) I really dig all of these models but not exactly in the order they appear pricewise. My favourite is the D7200..and I wouldn’t really know which one to chose over the other between the 5200 and 9200. The 7200 though is kinda special to me as it is the ‘original 9200 tuning’ whereas the flagship reigns back the wild gestures and feels more mature. The two headphones basically follow the same curve but the 7200 is more bolsterous and meaty in it’s delivery almost giving the impression that all music played through it receives some kind of steroids. There’s a distinct ‘punch’ to music over the 7200 that I haven’t come across in any other headphone.
The D5200 though is more of a ‘traditional’ tuning and sounds more realistic than any of it’s pricier brethren..and on paper most likely the one I’d prefer.
Wait are you telling me Taylor Swift is the best?!?!?!? I've been listening to my music all wrong all those years!!!

Lol jokes aside yeah I think at that point it's more preference than an absolute like you said. And I actually do like some songs from Taylor Swift, her songs are recorded / mastered decently.

But ahhhhh now I want to try D7200, I currently own D5200 and D9200 maybe I'll trade my D9200 for D7200 + cash, just so I can say I've tried all 3 LOL. I don't know yet, too many headphones to try not enough funds LOL.

My biggest concern is that I keep hearing D7200 is "dark" but I like sparkly treble. So should I still give it a shot or don't even bother?
Don't even think twice. It's best if you listen to Atticus, there is a good chance that you will like it more than Eikon and you will save a few money :) The only drawback of these headphones is the weight. They are comfortable but heavy.
Yeah I was going to say, back then my preference would lean more towards Eikon but the last few years I start to like mid bass so maybe Atticus would be more my preference.

But same issue with D7200, would Atticus be considered too dark? For reference I actually like Grado sound lol.

This year just started with a billion headphone choices lol.

Jan 3, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #644 of 815
Hyde00: If your preference sound-wise is for Grados, I’m not sure you should go for the D7200. The D9200 is most likely the best Denon out of the current line-up methinks👍
If you really want something closedback with a sound signature like Grados have, there are only really two viable options that I know of, and they come in the form of the Shure SRH940 and the Sony MDR7506.
There was a member here a couple of days ago searching for a closedback Grado or ‘closedback with forward vocals’ - something to that extent, and he ended up getting the 940, which was pretty much exactly what he was looking for:)
Yup, found the thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/closed-back-headphones-with-forward-vocals.961358/

Jan 3, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #645 of 815

Users who are viewing this thread

Back