Denon AH-D5200 (little brother of the AH-D7200)
Aug 5, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #616 of 815
I can say from my experience, the D5200 is a very good headphone in my setup. Its a very balanced overall headphone. It has some flaws, but can be somewhat fixed with the right pairing. I use a quality silver headphone cable to tighten up the bass and to give it more ease to the presentation.

Aug 6, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #617 of 815
I really, really like my D5200. The first impression for me was that they are bassier than my HD6xx or ATH-MSR7b, so it took a short while to get used to it. From what I read, the 7200/9200 are even bassier than the 5200, so...

I got two Meze cables, one with a 2,5mm balanced termination, the other with an inline mic, so they are now really all-rounders for me.

I got the D5200 at €320, which I considered OK. At list prices I wouldn't have bought it and the D7200/D9200 would make absolutely no (financial) sense.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2021 at 12:13 AM Post #618 of 815
What are your impressions of 5200? :) Don't you regret buying? I read here earlier, you're in luck to test different Denon headphones..

I bought mine 5200 in may, absolutely blindly, half a year before that I heard only 7200 of my friend, so I became interested in Denon

I'm in love with how they look and how comfortable they are, but about sound, it took a month to get used to them and set up for my ears, something realy very good, something so-so (mid bass) and have to use an equalizer
as a result, they now sound almost like 7200 the difference is very small something a little better something a little worse

In my case, the price difference between 5200 and 7200 was only 122 euros. I thought to buy 5200, if I don't like it, I will return them and buy 7200, but in the end I stayed with 5200:sweat_smile:
I think a really worthwhile upgrade given the frequency response for me would have been 9200, but too expensive for me and at a good price I can’t find them yet:smirk:

Sorry for my English - i'm not a polyglot (but i try)
Ops sorry forgot to reply!

It's not perfect but quite good! It has replaced my D2000 as my new daily driver!

Coming from D2000 I thought I'd miss the bass from D2000 (more bass and hits deeper), but surprisingly D5200's bass is really good too and is a better all around performer. It has a warmer and more balanced signature.

If I were to nitpick I find the bass could be a little bit tighter (D2000 is tighter) and voice could be a little bit more forward and clearer (EQ 2khz ~ 4khz seems to help a bit). Voices sits in space better on the D2000, seemed to have more "air".

How do you find D7200? Is the treble roll off noticeable? I'm also wondering if voices is better on D7200? (I wish D5200 could be a bit more forward)

On an entire random note. I previously thought the Elegia deal from Adorama doesn't ship to Canada. But somehow they do now.

https://www.adorama.com/fofelegia.html?emailprice=t

Anyone tried Elegia vs D5200? I remember reading earlier in this thread someone prefer D5200 over Elegia but it's a while back now. Just wondering if I already own D5200, is it still worth it to try Elegia? (at $400 USD, I bought my D5200 used at $282 USD LOL)

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #620 of 815
Hi,

I really like my 5200s. Can anybody recommend some IEMs with a similar tuning and sound quality?
I am far from being an expert. I have a really limited experience. My favourite headphones are by far the 7200. I simply love them. I received advice to get the Etymotic Er4xr as iems and those are now my favourite iems. Later I bought the Etymotic Er2xr with Bluetooth module and also love those. Provided you can live with the deep insertion ( in my case it just took a few days to get used to) iems Etymotic are excellent, the xr have a stronger bass and simply excellent to my ears. The er2xr with cable have excellent quality considering the price. If you do not mind the price difference the er4xr are totally worth it for me.

Aug 29, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #621 of 815
I am far from being an expert. I have a really limited experience. My favourite headphones are by far the 7200. I simply love them. I received advice to get the Etymotic Er4xr as iems and those are now my favourite iems. Later I bought the Etymotic Er2xr with Bluetooth module and also love those. Provided you can live with the deep insertion ( in my case it just took a few days to get used to) iems Etymotic are excellent, the xr have a stronger bass and simply excellent to my ears. The er2xr with cable have excellent quality considering the price. If you do not mind the price difference the er4xr are totally worth it for me.
I'm really leaning on trying D7200 (right now has D5200).

Two things concerns me, does D7200 has good female vocal? D5200 vocal felt slightly veiled.

Also is the treble roll off noticeable? I like Grado sound for example.

Otherwise I'm coming from D5200 and D2000.

Thanks!

Aug 29, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #622 of 815
I'm really leaning on trying D7200 (right now has D5200).

Two things concerns me, does D7200 has good female vocal? D5200 vocal felt slightly veiled.

Also is the treble roll off noticeable? I like Grado sound for example.

Otherwise I'm coming from D5200 and D2000.

Thanks!
I’m sorry I cannot be of any help. I have never listen to both headphones side by side and cannot really compare them. I can only say I love Denon headphones and particularly the 7200, my favorite headphone (compared to Denon ah-d900 of 1989, Sennheiser HD599, Sony wh1000m3). I have never tried the 9200 and the 5200 I could only listen once briefly in a shop.

Aug 30, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #623 of 815
I’m sorry I cannot be of any help. I have never listen to both headphones side by side and cannot really compare them. I can only say I love Denon headphones and particularly the 7200, my favorite headphone (compared to Denon ah-d900 of 1989, Sennheiser HD599, Sony wh1000m3). I have never tried the 9200 and the 5200 I could only listen once briefly in a shop.
Lol no worries thank you for your reply!

Though I mean in the general sense, would you say 7200 has too relaxed of treble? Or like.... dark sounding? Or still have enough treble to be interesting?

Aug 30, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #624 of 815
Lol no worries thank you for your reply!

Though I mean in the general sense, would you say 7200 has too relaxed of treble? Or like.... dark sounding? Or still have enough treble to be interesting?
To me the 7200 have the best bass available, amazing to my ears but a controlled bass that does not darken or muddle the treble. The treble is excellent, they are very well balanced headphones. I love their tuning. I listen to a lot of classical music and treble is important to me. I can only recommend the 7200.

Aug 30, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #625 of 815
To me the 7200 have the best bass available, amazing to my ears but a controlled bass that does not darken or muddle the treble. The treble is excellent, they are very well balanced headphones. I love their tuning. I listen to a lot of classical music and treble is important to me. I can only recommend the 7200.
Ah that's very good to hear!

Because I listen to a lot of female acoustic music so it always drive me crazy when either the vocal sound recessed or not clear enough, also when guitar / piano / violin string doesn't sound pronounced enough. Also some headphone drive me crazy too when it doesn't have enough air if that makes any sense.

I think I like it when the performance sounds like they're right infront of you while still being able to hear the room / ambiance.

But good to know it work well with classical music since it cover a lot of string instruments. Thanks!

:)

Oct 27, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #626 of 815
Hello,

I purchased the Denon D5200 because I wanted to buy serious closed-back headphones for work to replace the Sony MDR-1000X (which appeared to be quite good in fact with Fiio M11 Plus) and I think I have used it enough to give a bit of impressions.

First, I must say that these headphones impressed me with their details and stereo precision, especially when you know that they are closed-back. I even think that they are better than my AKG 712 Pro which also produces detailed sound and large soundstage but maybe less accurrate than the Denon. I tried the latter in a game and I was able to locate from where the sound came very precisely, this surprised me a lot because I bought it for music.
Next, the overall sound is quite balanced with refined basses (compared to what I own, I do not have high-end headphones), lot of detail for instruments but like the AKG 712 Pro maybe vocals are a tiny bit "devoured"/recessed compared to the HD560S (for instance) which have natural, forward and ample vocals. Again, like the AKG, strangely turning the DAC filter to "slow" instead of "fast" seems to subtly "shift" the sound in the good direction enough to make the sound more like what I enjoy (i.e. music with vocals). I don't know why but it seems to work (maybe EQ can does the job too but I am bad a equalizing by ear).

Else, the build quality is quite good as expected for the price. I must set height (sorry I am not a native speaker and I do not know the english word for it) to 5 for one ear and 6 for the other because all 6 first is too large and all 5 too narrow.

A good impression overall so.

Nov 13, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #627 of 815
Hello everyone,
Got my new 5200 yesterday. Must say that i like them most out of my shure srh1540, hifiman sundara and audeze lcd 2 closed back. I use custom made balanced cable out of the box. The cable was initially made by local master for my sundaras. The source for now is Fiio M11 Plus only (i have setup of topping a50s/d50s/p50 and cambridge audio cxa80 but dont want to try anything else for now). Completely satisfied with the sound so far (my preferred sound is balanced one with good scene, details and air), but probably something may change after hours of burn in (warm up?).

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #628 of 815
Happy New Year everyone!!!

Hopefully everyone had a good holidays. Here's some update, I recently bought a D9200 trying to replace my D5200.

D9200 is definitely more comfortable than D5200, they updated the headband angle a little bit so it sits more evenly on the head (despite in picture it look pretty much the same as D5200).

And D9200 is definitely more detailed and you can hear EVERY note being presented.

BUT!!! (very important that's why it's in bold)

I find myself always reach for the D5200. D9200 is more bright sounding where it has a bit more treble emphasis and less mid bass. D5200 is a little bit more bass emphasis in comparison and warmer.

D9200 steer away from the typical Fostex/Denon bass slam which I miss (sub bass still hits deep, but lack mid bass). So you get hits but no rumble.

If you compare side by side you'll notice the difference in resolution, but if you just grab D5200 and enjoy the music you'll totally not remember about lack of resolution (in comparison to D9200). And it just sounds great!

If only we can have D5200 tuning and D9200 resolution lol. But for now I might sell off D9200 and just keep the D5200.

Again I might be the only person in this planet that will pick D5200 over D9200 so your mileage may vary.

Otherwise enjoy your D5200.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #629 of 815
Happy New Year everyone!!!

Hopefully everyone had a good holidays. Here's some update, I recently bought a D9200 trying to replace my D5200.

D9200 is definitely more comfortable than D5200, they updated the headband angle a little bit so it sits more evenly on the head (despite in picture it look pretty much the same as D5200).

And D9200 is definitely more detailed and you can hear EVERY note being presented.

BUT!!! (very important that's why it's in bold)

I find myself always reach for the D5200. D9200 is more bright sounding where it has a bit more treble emphasis and less mid bass. D5200 is a little bit more bass emphasis in comparison and warmer.

D9200 steer away from the typical Fostex/Denon bass slam which I miss (sub bass still hits deep, but lack mid bass). So you get hits but no rumble.

If you compare side by side you'll notice the difference in resolution, but if you just grab D5200 and enjoy the music you'll totally not remember about lack of resolution (in comparison to D9200). And it just sounds great!

If only we can have D5200 tuning and D9200 resolution lol. But for now I might sell off D9200 and just keep the D5200.

Again I might be the only person in this planet that will pick D5200 over D9200 so your mileage may vary.

Otherwise enjoy your D5200.

Cheers!
The conclusion is: you are happy with more money in your wallet :L3000:

By the way, do you plan to try the 7200s? A guy told me that he prefers them to the other brothers.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #630 of 815
The conclusion is: you are happy with more money in your wallet :L3000:

By the way, do you plan to try the 7200s? A guy told me that he prefers them to the other brothers.
It did cross my mind but don't tell my wife shhhhhhhh....... Also no solid plan yet since I spent too much money in December, if one pops up with good price I might grab it. But might not try too hard to hunt 1 down just yet...... yet....... LOL.

Also I'm forever dancing on the idea to grab Elegia to try just because it's so cheap now ($380 now from Adorama).

We'll see. :laughing:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back