Denon AH-D510
Apr 12, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #16 of 34
Very good review I am really interested in these headphones they are cheap enough where I live £27.99 approx your review is swaying me to get them just a couple of questions for a true novice I have managed to try a pair of Denon AH-D1100 on in HMV and listen to a track or two I am very pleased with the quality but am thinking of these for the cheaper option have you tried this model if you have is the fit the same and does the sound quality vary much would the extra £30 be a worthy risk for the 1100 or should I stick with the 510 as a first pair of over ear headphones and what audio source did you use for your burn in??

Thanks for any advice and help you can give.

May 9, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #17 of 34
Quote:
Hi

So...

I'm looking for a pair of portable over ear 'phones that can be driven by an iPhone. I've tried the Beats on Best Buy, how do you compare those to these headphones in terms of bass quality and quantity?

These definately have a much better and clearer sound than beats, beats have more bass, but sound all round is much better on the ahd510. Beats are just overpriced peices of plastic and readings done by tyll from inner fidelity showed that the sound quality is not much better than on apple ear buds frequency-wise

May 29, 2012 at 5:11 AM Post #18 of 34
Hey guys, sorry for the inactivity, exams and uni are pretty full on.

does it sound nice with dubstep or hip-hop??

Not the best 'phones I would recommend for this genre, mids (500-800Hz) a bit too dominant for that genre.

I've tried the Beats on Best Buy, how do you compare those to these 

Hmmm, Beats if you want to wear 'em round like a hipster skater. Beats would also be more durable. Beats are also more expensive.
Again, it depends what music you listen to. Very easily driven by your iPhone.

Do you suggest getting these for my 1st audiophile headphones !!

Well, if you're on a tight budget, sure. But I would save up an extra 50 to 75 bucks and get the Shure 840s you have in your display pic.

Sep 20, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #19 of 34
A lil old thread but just something I wanna share my 2 cent.

My own issue(?): I bought these pretty cheap recently. Maybe it is just me but it feels rather cheap (but that can be easily dismissed) and mine makes a weird squeaky noise each step I take or every time I move my jaw.
I am not good at explaining but the noise is from two plastic pieces rubbing each other. It really kills the music when I am walking around with these sets on. I stop using it and just use it home, but I have better sets to use at home. =[ In other words it is pretty neglected at the moment.
Other then that, sound is quite good with an amp. But I think your money can be better spent on other sets within the same price range.

I just need to find a way to stop the squeaking noise.

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #20 of 34
Tried a little mechanical oil or WD40 between those plastic pieces?

The squeaking noise would be very irritating, but would be expected as the plastic is cheap, light brittle stuff. Not the same stuff as seen on Sennheiser HD280 Pros or Shure SRH840 which seem to be made for the road and are excellent live engineer monitoring cans.

Nov 22, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #21 of 34
Thinking about these as gift for my father for the holidays - he is a complete novice when it comes to this sort of thing... He tried a ton of headphones at the B and H listening wall in NYC and we both agreed that the D1100 was the best sounding reasonably priced headphone (with the dt1350 as competitor). My question is similar to the one asked earlier, how do these 510s compare to the 1100s? I'm not sure that my father would really be able to recall the latter's sound signature, and I know he'd be pleased with the gift. But, also, I don't want to get him a dud pair of headphones. He'd be using it straight out of a headphone jack on an iphone/macbook/macbook air. 

BTW, you can these for $70 USD on earphonesolutions.com right now using their Black Friday code thanks2012... 

Nov 22, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #22 of 34
Nevermind - I did it anyways. He'll be happy and they were affordable with that discount.

Nov 24, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #23 of 34
So sorry, having been drunk for the past 36 hours, I did not read your post! (It's Saturday night on this side of the world)

But anyways, I am completely unable to comment on the comparison between those two cans, because I do not own the 510's anymore.
I have loaned them long-term to a friend who was in need of some basic cans about a year ago now having since upgraded to my Shure SRH840's.

I can tell you that the 840's are a lot snappier and punchier, a much more dynamic, 'fun' sound to genre's such as rock, whereas going back to the 510's, they never seemed to right comfortably with any genre I threw at them, just that lump in the 400-700Hz range and the lack of bass depth and intelligibility with female vocals always threw me off. But they are also a lot easier to drive from a portable non-amp source.
It is a quite different price bracket. I haven't really looked at the budgetish on-ear end of headphones for a really long time, just getting snobby I guess. 

If you still have a choice, and are not particular about type of can you purchase, get in-ears. Stuff like Westone UM1 or Shure SE215's go for around 90 bucks (and that's with them shipping all the way to Awstraylee-ah), and I'm still completely happy with using them after trying out stuff like Sennheiser IE8's and even up the range like SE425's. My SE215's are still my go-to pair.

Sep 12, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #24 of 34

Hi, Good Review. I wanted to know one thing, is the soundstage really very bad? I'm looking for phones that will work well with jazz and provide reasonable spacing between instruments so that I can enjoy the violin and the sax a lot more. My last pair were the HD 202 and I was looking towards going a little upward. Would you recommend these to someone who is tight on cash for the foreseeable future or no? I've tried the Sennheiser HD429, which are in my price range but I dont like their sound too much, I wanted something much better.

Sep 13, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #25 of 34
I personally would not recommend that you upgrade to these headphones.
But bear in mind, this comes from a person with a relatively decent amount of disposable income at hand.

Instead of upgrading little by little, have a little patience, scrimp a little more and get something that'll really be a step up.
My workplace standard is the Sennheiser HD280, but I personally prefer using my own Shure SRH840 because it's a little cleaner and a little less woolly on the 500-600Hz mids.

Honestly, for the same price as the D510s, get a pair of in-ears.
My swear-to-God favourite pair are my Shure SE215s. They just keep getting better.
The only downside to them is if you have small ears, the fit might be uncomfortable.
But they are incredibly fun, lively and have a great clarity with the Shure tone.

Much better cans cost much more dollars. And starting to get a little serious, amps are required.
My personal listening involves a pair of Beyer DT880s and a Schiit Asgard v1 or Emotiva Airmotiv 5 (though I can't really tell between the Airmotivs and Behringer Truths, and all the differences seem like the room characteristics.)

You just gotta know what kind of sound you like and find the cans/amps that suit you. There is no ultimate.

In short, I suggest in-ears for your price range.
Either that, or save enough 'til you can double your budget.

Sep 14, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #26 of 34
  I personally would not recommend that you upgrade to these headphones.
But bear in mind, this comes from a person with a relatively decent amount of disposable income at hand.

Instead of upgrading little by little, have a little patience, scrimp a little more and get something that'll really be a step up.
My workplace standard is the Sennheiser HD280, but I personally prefer using my own Shure SRH840 because it's a little cleaner and a little less woolly on the 500-600Hz mids.

Honestly, for the same price as the D510s, get a pair of in-ears.
My swear-to-God favourite pair are my Shure SE215s. They just keep getting better.
The only downside to them is if you have small ears, the fit might be uncomfortable.
But they are incredibly fun, lively and have a great clarity with the Shure tone.

Much better cans cost much more dollars. And starting to get a little serious, amps are required.
My personal listening involves a pair of Beyer DT880s and a Schiit Asgard v1 or Emotiva Airmotiv 5 (though I can't really tell between the Airmotivs and Behringer Truths, and all the differences seem like the room characteristics.)

You just gotta know what kind of sound you like and find the cans/amps that suit you. There is no ultimate.

In short, I suggest in-ears for your price range.
Either that, or save enough 'til you can double your budget.

Thanks alot for the help, right now, since I'm in desperate need of headphones and dont want to get IEMs, I'm going in for Samson SR850 (Which are for half the price of the denons) whcih are basically an upgrade of the Superlux 668Bs and have received really good reviews. Also being open open back I'm sure they would have a pretty decent soundstage, much better than the denons. And Sound engineers on sweetwater.com and the likes swear by them (even so to call them being better than the Audio Technica M50, which I have tried before and were really good). And I know the HD 280s are good but somehow I never took a liking to their sound signature. My taste is more towards the DT990 but getting those in the next couple years (I'm unemployed as of now) seems to be quite challenging. I just recently bought the Fiio E6, and though they may not be the best Amps out there, they are really portable so I can hide them away in my laptop bag, and do things quite well, at least for my headphones, with better headphones I'm quite sure they'll do even better.
Anyway I think I'll probably get the Samsons ask my friend who's coming down from the UK, to get my velour pads for them (I've heard they can be quite uncomfortable for some), and see how it goes. Thanks for the help :)

Jul 29, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #27 of 34
I have a pair of Denon ah-1001 headphones since 2009. They are pretty wrecked now but I love the sound and wish to repair them. I need new earpads and a new headband. I would like to mod the D510 or the D310 with my d1001 driver but I'm not sure if it would work as I don't know if the dimensions are the same on both units. Would anyone have a clue ? Thanks.

Jul 30, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #28 of 34
Mine have been sitting in their box since I fried them.
If you want a free set of D510s to experiment on, PM me and I'll send them to you for the cost of shipping.

Keep in mind that AusPost is extortionally high in pricing. If you send me your approximate location I can estimate it for you and you can determine for yourself whether it's worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back