Denon AH-(D5000 primarily) 7000 or 2000 owners
Nov 15, 2010 at 11:08 AM Post #2 of 11
I've done tests with frequency sweeps and single wave tones on my D5000, D7000 and LA2000 Lite. I usually test down to 20hz. I don't hear anything like that on my D7k, and I certainly would have remembered hearing it on the D5k and LA2k (which are both long gone). So no... but I don't play them very loud.

Sorry to hear that you are having this issue.

shane

Nov 15, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #4 of 11
I've done tests with church organ music, frequency sweeps and single wave tones on my stock D2000. No strange sounds appeared, even when volume was very loud. DAC/Amp. Audio-gd FUN A.

Nov 15, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
Thanks for letting me know.

Is there any chance of letting me know about the specific amplifier used for the test?

DAC1-Pre, Asus Xonar STX, or Outlaw RR2150. All three produced excellent results, with no unusual noises...

Nov 15, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #6 of 11
It is possible for the Denon ear cups to physically vibrate when playing strong low bass.  That vibration can cause other parts of the headphone to vibrate against each other and make noise.

One problem area is the big metal ring around the ear cup making contact with the metal "U" part of the gimbal assembly.  If those parts are in contact when you play low bass you'll hear the metal to metal contact as it vibrates.  One solution there is to use something like fabric medical tape (fabric tape that is easy to remove and doesn't leave sticky residue) to act as a bumper.  That way you'll get metal to fabric tape contact rather than metal to metal contact.  That may reduce what you're hearing.  You can also adjust the fit of the headphones on your head to help prevent the metal to metal contact there.  Depends on the shape and size of your head whether that will work or not.

Another potential problem area could be the two screws on the end of the "U" part of the gimbal assembly.  Maybe you're getting metal to metal vibration noise there?  You can try putting some tape over the ends of the screws there to see if that dampens it enough to stop the noise.  Or you may need to open up the headphones and fix those two screws from inside the cups.  The Markl mod threads will show how to open up the headphones and get to that area.  I would think that tape there on the outside would be enough to experiment and see if that's the source of the problem rather than needing to open up the headphones to check.

Nov 22, 2010 at 7:03 AM Post #7 of 11
Thank you for the reply.

As of now I have tried to prevent anything to move or have conntact with eachother as much as I could by checking both the screws and the Ring around the headphone and also tried to apply the bumper as you mentioned.

Holding the headphone and checking for small things that can apply as vibrating has now been done.

As of yet the noise is still there.

To be observed is that the noise seems neither metalic nor seemingly affected by outside force nor did damping that were applyed as good as possible ,without voiding warranty still not effective by any means to a high enough degree.

(to be added is that the damping provided only a slight change in pressure inside the earcup.

Nov 22, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #8 of 11
Hmmm... Brainstorming here...
I wonder if what you are hearing could be port chuffing.  The sound of air moving in and out of a speaker port.  The Denons are sort of ported.  They have a what Denon calls an "acoustic optimizer" which is slight air gap that is between the cup and the rest of the headphone driver frame.  It's sort of a port, but I don't believe it is tuned like a port.  Anyways, air can move in and out there and could theoretically possibly cause port chuffing noise.

If it is related to port chuffing you might be able to address it with some dampening or stuffing the cups and/or the area around the acoustic optimizer with fiberfill.  It might be a specific narrow range of frequencies that is exciting a resonance and that resonance is causing enhanced air flow.  Dampening with stuffing may tame the resonance enough or disrupt the air flow enough to tame the chuffing.  Maybe.

I did at one time put tape all around the outside of the "acoustic optimizer" gap just to see what would happen if the gap was blocked.  You'll lose some bass and get some slight tonality changes.  You could try tape all around the gap and see if that stops your noise.  If it does then maybe what you are hearing is chuffing noise.

Nov 25, 2010 at 9:27 AM Post #9 of 11
Hello once again. :)

After alot of testing I can now post that It seems to do naught to the sound I am hearing.

To be said though is that some pressure difference is there quite noticably.

The sound I am hearing is local inside the headphone i tseems and it is a sound more akin to either plastic or wood hitting something as far as I know.

This is getting really troublesome due to the fact that it disapeared for a while before but now has returned :<

Feb 4, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #11 of 11
It has now gone a very long time since I came close to having conntact with the retailers who sold the phones and I have yet to get them back from service...

Somehow I think more help from Denon themselves would be more efficient

Users who are viewing this thread

Back