Denon AH-D2000 vs Grado SR225i
Mar 13, 2011 at 5:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Bonobo

Head-Fier
At the moment I have a Denon AH-D1001, which I now use with my just bought Fiio E7, which was obviously a serious upgrade from onboard sound. I like it, but want to upgrade my headphone now. The natural path would be going to the Denon D2000, judging from everything I read from this forum. I think I read most of the D2000 reviews and thought they would suit me. But since a few days, I discovered the Grado SR225i. I can't make up my mind now. This one also seems very good.
I listen to a broad range of music, it goes from electronic (The Knife, Bonobo, Trentemoller,...), to pop, ambient, rock, minimalistic, movie scores.
I'm afraid i'm over-analyzing, and am now wondering if in the end I'll probably end up with the D2000 ánd the SR225i.

Any comments?

Mar 14, 2011 at 7:58 AM Post #3 of 7
They are quite different headphones. The Grados have a forward sound that you will either love or just hate. Also the bass on the SR225 may not be adequate for Trance/Electronica so keep that in mind. Plus some people will find the Grados to be uncomfortable. The Denons are comfortable but can be too bassy for many people. Plus IMO the mids were recessed a bit. I frankly liked both cans when I heard them but they are very different and IMO its best if you try and hear both before making a decision.

Mar 14, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #4 of 7
Because you listen to different types of music and also use them for movies, I'd take the D2000's, which are the better alrounders

Mar 14, 2011 at 8:19 AM Post #5 of 7
I would lean more toward the D2000 as it should be able handle well almost any genre of music, a trait I'm not so sure the Grados have.

Mar 14, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #6 of 7
I found that SR225 were more up front than Denon D5000- with far more present mids, fast and aggressive sound that I liked more with all kinds of music except for classical, where Denons excel.  Denons have a nice sense of space but are a bit 'airy' due to a treble emphasis and weaker mids which I grew to dislike.  The only downside of SR225 is a somewhat bright signature (but different from Denons in that they emphasize treble and mids) and modest bass- but you might remedy the former with comfie/foam ear pads and the latter with the bass boost on the e7 (it has a bass boost, yes?).

Mar 14, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #7 of 7
E7's bass boost is great. Level 1 adds just a hint of warmth and bottom end without disrupting anything else (I'd use this over the later 2). 2 and 3 will completely alter the sound signature of the Grados for a LOT of bass impact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back