Denon AH-D2000 earcup size/comfort vs Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro and AKG K 701.
Mar 16, 2012 at 4:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

TuBBe

New Head-Fier
Hello fellas!

Ive been looking for nice pair of closed headphones for while now. Its not unusual for me to sit 10h straight without taking them off my head, so my headphones have to be pretty comfortable. And offcourse, i have big ears.

First, i tried AKG K 701, and it was horrible failure, it hurted my head so much to use them.
Second step was Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro, it was bit better, but couldnt still use them for too long periods.

Now, as my old headphones(Sennheiser PC-350, so comfortable, but not really that hifi)are breaking down, i really need to hurry my next decision.

Could anyone who has tried Denon AH-D2000 and lets say Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro before, tell me if the earcups in Denon are in any way more big in size or more comfortable to wear?

Im kinda sure Denon will sound just fine for me, it just about the comfort...

Thanks in advance guys.

Mar 16, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #2 of 12
Heya,

The Denon and Beyer cups are pretty similar, both round, and both about the same size (maybe a mm or two difference). The inside of the Denons are not round though, they're more of a rectangle. Similar depth too, maybe a touch deeper on the Denon simply due to the angled pads. As for comfort, the Denons are some of the most comfortable headphones to me. I have the Q701, D2K, D5K and DT770 for comparison. The Q701 had the deepest cups actually and it's really light weight. I prefer the feel of the Denon though, it feels like it wraps around you like a nice pillow, isn't heavy feeling, and is super duper soft. Beyer is comfortable to me too. You may just be very sensitive.

Very best,

Mar 16, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #3 of 12
The fact that Denons earcups are not perfectly round is pretty huge plus. Beyerdynamic and AKG were perfect circle, so that was the mainreason they didint sit well. Most sennheisers(like this pc-350) are bit like oval shape, so they bit much better, atleast for me.

Im not sure if i should even ask for this here, but any guesses where i might find cheapest Denon AH-D2000 in europe? Best one so far is http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B000OW24HQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF , and i think its pretty hard to undercut that any more.

Mar 19, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #9 of 12
How about the Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium 250-Ohm, everything I hear about the premium series is they are a little more comfortable then the Pro series.
and the DT880 are semi-open, so they should put a little less wear and tear on the ear drums over closed headphones.
If you liked the PC350s, how about the Senn HD558 or HD598?

Mar 21, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
DT-770 aren't closed... I'm 99% sure of that

And I'm 999.99% sure they are 
tongue.gif

Mar 21, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #11 of 12
Very similar comfort level with the d2k and the Beyers. Over several hours of constant use I find the Beyers to be considerably better.

Mar 21, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #12 of 12
Heya,

Here's the three headphones in question so you can just see for yourself (Q701, D5000, DT770):

As you can see, they're all nearly the same in terms of diameter. The AKG Q701 is slightly larger, and are in fact larger than my HE500's too. The Q701 has the biggest cup I've found so far. It's not dramatic, but it's a few millimeters. Definitely big enough for the biggest ears out there, short of mutants. The depth of the cups is similar, but again the Q701 is the one that is deepest. It accommodates the biggest set of wombat ears. The Denon and DT770 are similar in depth. The inner cups are pretty obvious, the DT770 and Q701 are the most similar, completely round and the depth of the cushions are the same around the entire cup. The Denon is different, it has a slot inside, and the depth is different at different sides of the cushion, one side is very thick and one is thinner, meant to fill the gab behind and blow your ears, while thinner in front of your ears where you're more flat. In terms of comfort, the Denon is probably the most comfortable over a long period of time for me, but only by a hair; it's super soft, hugs well, and is spacious. The DT770 comes next, very close, and can be worn for hours, pretty soft after some use (velour is stiff at first, you have to break it in). The Q701 is the biggest cup and deepest, but is a little less comfortable to me in general on the cups, but that's mostly because the material they use is stiff and needs to be broken in to become software and squishier, mine isn't broken in yet in that sense, so it's still stiff. It's comfortable mind you, but not as pillow soft and "fits like an old shoe" like the DT770 and D2000/5000/7000.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back