Denon AH-D1100 Price
Feb 21, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #2 of 15
Nope, you are definitely not crazy.

When they first came out they were $250. After about a month, it plummeted to $150. And now it's back up to $200.

I never did see it at $120, but if they were, that is an awesome price for those!

Feb 21, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #5 of 15

Ditto i was about to plunge when they were 117$ on amazon but held, and they're reportedly quite decent too :wink:
Quote:
Yep, they were 119 @ amazon

They're reportedly horrible with mid/highs & have basically no deep/sub bass.. so I don't feel too bad for passing up on them x]

Feb 22, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #6 of 15
The prices on Denon's headphones fluctuate quite a bit it seems like. The D2000 would go from about MSRP down to sub $200 and seems to level out about to $250 these days. The D1000 and D5000 were similar (although at about $100 and $350 I believe). I think the D7000 was able to be found for like $600 new sometime pretty soon after release and then they went back up as well. I don't know if Denon offers incentives/sales to help push places to sell them for quite a bit cheaper or what. Might just have a pretty large built in margin with no pressure from Denon to worry about maintaining MSRP (like some other brands do).

Feb 22, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #7 of 15
The d1100 are not horrible with any freq range , this rumor spawned from one owner who thought they didnt extend deep enough, he is a xb500 fan (make of that what you will - i just mean he likes bass) ....

In fact if you can find me a bad review i would be surprised :

http://www.digitaltrends.com/headphone-reviews/denon-ah-d1100-review/

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/headphones/denon-ah-d1100-review-50001789/

http://www.geardiary.com/2010/12/22/audio-gear-review-denon-ah-d-1100-over-the-ear-headphones/

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2373996,00.asp

My point is , you cant really say if a headphone is for you until you have it on your noggin.

IMO the D1100 are in the running for best sub $200 can.

Feb 22, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #8 of 15
No I'm not only speaking of RPGWiZaRD, others have said the other freq. are bad as well:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/531830/need-opinions-on-100-150-range-closed-headphones-for-gaming-orchestrated-music-electronic-music/15#post_7176184
Ajreynol made an example of piano solo's sounding like trash, and is only remedied by heavy EQ.

RPG just pointed out that it didn't extend deep at all when it comes to bass, and I trust his opinion there, he's a bass guru x]

Feb 22, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #9 of 15
I enjoyed my D1100s tremendously as well while i had them and would say they do very little wrong but don't have the "wow" factor. If you're looking for a pair of closed headphones with decent bass and a relatively large soundstage and want them driven even without an amp, all for less than $150, the D1100s would be my top recommendation. And did i mention how incredibly light and comfy they are?

Feb 22, 2011 at 2:50 AM Post #10 of 15
I've listened to the D1100 and I agree that the deep bass is insufficient for some people, me being one of them. I thought the other frequencies were fine though. I liked the highs better on the D1100 than on my M50s. I found the highs on the M50 to be a bit fatiguing.

Feb 22, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #11 of 15

Quote:
The d1100 are not horrible with any freq range , this rumor spawned from one owner who thought they didnt extend deep enough, he is a xb500 fan (make of that what you will - i just mean he likes bass) ....

Well it's more of a subjective thing, Denons are known for having slightly recessed/laid-back/distant sounding mids/vocals especially and that's fine but if you happen to be like me that prefer to have the mids/vocals as up-front/forward/"attacking" as possible then the Denon's midrange won't satisfy. As far as the bass goes, there's a lot other headphones also besides Sony XB that deliver stronger deep bass than D1100 such as DT770 Pro, Denon D2000, most of the Ultrasone series, M50, Sennheiser HD 212 Pro, Phiatons etc but possibly only XB500 delivering stronger upper bass than it, so it's not very balanced deep/mid/upper bass ratio at all but for some people it's actually a good thing if they happen to prefer mid/upper bass thumping. It will for example probably work great with metal that has fast drumbeats as the bass is "snappy" and have a lot of "thumping" feel to it and fades away quick.

Even if I like bass that's far from only thing I look at, for me D1100's midrange was more dissatisfying than the lack of deep bass but as 3rd point I didn't like how the very upperhigh-range was tiny bit edgy/harsh/sharp sometimes. 4 - 8 kHz range was very good though.

Feb 22, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #13 of 15

Quote:
They are a fun set of headphones, very boomy but I wouldn't pay more then 120 for them.

I have 200+ hrs on mine and the initial boom departed after around 50hrs. Might just be my brain getting used to them but i did notice a difference.

Rpgwizard, i know you are fond of EQing, you managed to get a balanced mid out of the XB500 by EQing (miracle IMO) , did you try to EQ the D1100 ?

Feb 22, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #14 of 15

Quote:
Rpgwizard, i know you are fond of EQing, you managed to get a balanced mid out of the XB500 by EQing (miracle IMO) , did you try to EQ the D1100 ?

Ofc, I always try to EQ all headphones for the best result, why would I even compare a non-EQ'd headphone vs an optimally EQ'd one? :p

This is how the settings for XB500 and D1100 looks like
moz-screenshot-1.png

Even so the mids are still more laid-back/recessed/distant sounding on the Denons. EQing won't change the forward/laid-back ratio that much at all, it won't magically make it "up-front" like it the singer would be standing next to me by boosting the mids. Even with the deep bass boost as on that curve XB500 outputs more and fullier deep bass at that lower setting. Even untouched the mids on XB500 are very up-front and forward, it's just the detail/clarity of them isn't very optimal then.
moz-screenshot.png

Feb 22, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #15 of 15
I paid $120 for these on Amazon not long ago, now they are $200

I do enjoy them, a bit on the darker side, but very well controlled, only wish soundstage was a bit larger, that is all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back