Denon AH-D1001 review
Mar 5, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #46 of 87
Headroom has the D1001 for ~$100 shipped. The price has gone up since the beginning of this thread. Don't expect Buy.com to get them back in stock. Denon changed how their headphones are being sold. The price may eventually lower, but I wouldn't count on it anytime soon.

Performance is a matter of preference and synergy. A re-cabling may be worth double the price to one, but not to another. People do not value money and sound the same way, and we all do not use the same associated equipment. And so there may or may not be a perception of a doubling of performance that approximates the doubling of cost.

Very good point about the D1001 and Creative Aurvana Live! not being the same headphones. FWIR, they appear to be quite similar. However, I agree; that does not necessarily indicate a similarity in performance. I don't clearly recall reading a first hand comparison of the two.

Apr 25, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #47 of 87
I just picked up these headphones at Fry's for $150... SoOoOO worth it. Just the right amount of bass, but right now the mids are a bit muddled, so probably need to burn it in a bit.

I'm loving them so far.

I'm currently plugged into an external USB Creative X-Fi sound card... I am going to be switching over to E-MU 0202 in a few minutes.... just benchmarking this one against the other.

I'm listening to a few select classical/pop songs in 320Kb and FLAC.

May 1, 2009 at 7:57 AM Post #48 of 87
WOW. I must say... I put my D1001s on today, and I didn't really notice much of a different in bass since I was listening to classical all day, but then I decided to listen to my Eagles-Hotel California live with Eric Clapton song and everything was so tight.
This was after days of letting the headphones burn in.

Such a drastic difference from when I first got them. I didn't listen to hip-hop/R&B when I first got them because the bass was kinda loose, but now its very refined and a lot tighter/punchier. The mids also are more clear as well and for some reason the highs also toned down and became a bit warmer a bit (When I first had the cans they sounded a bit on the harsh/crisp side)

I am enjoying these more and more.

Jun 24, 2009 at 10:51 AM Post #54 of 87
I ended up buying the Aurvana live when Amazon were doing a £39.99 delivered promotion. I have only heard the Denons in a store but they seem pretty similar to me.

I am pretty happy with my purchase.

Simon

Jun 24, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #56 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moontan13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
D1001s were my first good phones. I was very unimpressed at first but grew to like them.

Thats seems to be almost everyone's experience... including mine.

Jun 24, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #58 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by nullstring /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats seems to be almost everyone's experience... including mine.

If you lost yours, would you replace them?

Jun 25, 2009 at 10:43 AM Post #59 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dunno how much burn in they need, but D1001 is the reason I lean towards believing in burn in effects. Just keep listening to music through them; they just get better and better.

The same for me. Bass suddenly got much better about 2 months after i bought then, when i gave them an intense burn in. I listen to a lot of rap so i can tell the difference. They're not bass monsters though, they're a bit too lazy.

Jun 25, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #60 of 87
smily_headphones1.gif
I have both the Denon 1001 and the AKH 701. While I agree that the Denon is a nice set of cans and I use it mainly with my ipod touch. However it is no way in the same league as the AKG 701. Using the Little DOt MK11 and my Outlaw 2150 receiver which has mega power the SE Little Dot drive the 701 but the Denons dont have the same sense of air and the highs on the 701 are phenomenoal and the bass is well extended. Denos are nice not reference quality. Dont kid yourself the AKG 701 is leagues above the Denons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back