Denon AH-D1001 review
Feb 1, 2010 at 8:51 AM Post #76 of 87
ive been using these headphones for about ... 2 months now.
its funny. im getting crackling on bass or mid intence situations.
ive used cheaper headphones in the past, and they seemed to be able to handle more intence usage. perhaps the headphones are defective.

im using them on an ipod, perhaps its the ipods amp.
or perhaps its just thats these headphones are ment for quiet lisening.
im quite dissapointed in the volume output of these headphones...

Feb 24, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #77 of 87
just want to start off by saying these are the best cans i've ever owned. had the sr60 and returned it. felt like pins stabbing me plus the fit was just not comfy. i also like my ksc75. i sold my hd555 cuz it was just too laid back. returned the bose triport after being introduced to this site. =)

anyways, these are my everyday cans, paired with the total bithead to connect to my PC. i've had the denons for about 4 years now, before it was made popular. and recently, it's been breaking down. i sometimes hear the cracking sound and my right side is going out. i think i yanked the cord several times and maybe this is why i'm getting this problem. anyone else had this problem? anyways, i'm just gonna keep these around and not use it. just got me another pair, the silver ones. i wanted to buy d2000, but over my budget atm.

Mar 2, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #78 of 87
There's no appreciation thread for these?!! Surprising, when I think they are the among the very best headphones available when you factor in sound, comfort and value - they are very versatile, don't sound "closed in" and did I mention the supreme comfort? I spent a good deal of time with the recent FOTM's , the Shure 840's and ended up getting the Denons - the Shures are more "punchy," and maybe a little bit more detailed, but these Denon's are close in every regard, and are very easy to listen to for extended periods. Don't expect much isolation, but they are great in almost every other way!

Mar 3, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #79 of 87
There should be a thread for these.
I got hem today and they are yet to be burned in, yet they sound excellent.
Much better then the Sennheiser HD 238's they were previously my 'around the house' cans. These will replace them.
They pair up well with the Sony s639. They are drive quite well by a portable.

Anyone know if the mids will open up more as they burn in?

Forgive me for my audiophile illiteracy.

Mar 3, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #80 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by domekanthos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ive been using these headphones for about ... 2 months now.
its funny. im getting crackling on bass or mid intence situations.
ive used cheaper headphones in the past, and they seemed to be able to handle more intence usage. perhaps the headphones are defective.

im using them on an ipod, perhaps its the ipods amp.
or perhaps its just thats these headphones are ment for quiet lisening.
im quite dissapointed in the volume output of these headphones...

Yes, either yours are defective, or you want to blow your eardrums out. I play mine at about half volume and feel like its slightly too loud on my iPhone and iPod classic.

Mar 7, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #81 of 87
Been mulling over these for weeks now. I commute around 3 hours a day so I need decent practical headphones. Normally I'm an advocate of IEMs but there are days where I just fancy a pair of Headband cans instead. The 1001s are the pair I have had my eye on for weeks and those of you that live in the UK should check out PC World. A member over on AVForums has posted in the bargains section saying he picked up a pair in PC World for £69.95 ! I'm going to try get down to my local branch later today so I will give confirmation later. Would love a pair in black at this price !!

Mar 7, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #82 of 87
Thats a confirmed in store price at PC World of £69.95
smily_headphones1.gif
They only had one Silver Pair left which I snapped up so don't bother going to the Orpington branch if your after a pair !

Mar 7, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #83 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by scott_d_m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ended up selling my beloved MS-1 to a friend and picked up the 1001's to replace them. At first I didn't think too much of the 1001's, but over time they have improved greatly. I wouldn't say they're better than the MS-1, but they certainly hold their own and then some for the price range.

for the price range is right, i had a pair once broken in i could not get them out of the house fast enough, very very sibilant can, very uneven soundstage, it is supposed to be entry level audiophile, but that is the grado sr60

Mar 14, 2010 at 5:29 AM Post #84 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by auradud3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for the price range is right, i had a pair once broken in i could not get them out of the house fast enough, very very sibilant can, very uneven soundstage, it is supposed to be entry level audiophile, but that is the grado sr60

I had the D2000s and they were very sibilant and too bright.Ended up selling them.Bought and returned a few headphones.Was close to keeping Shure SHR840s.They do everything very well except bass quantity.Not enough for me.Ended up buying Aurvana's(1001's brother).I going to demo the 1001s this week and hear any difference,if any.Defintely need to be burned in.Sound very enjoyable.And the airy,deep sound stage is one of their pros.They may sound a little bright,depending on the source.IMO they sound better amped.They have more then acceptable bass quantity and extension.But this is early stages of burn in.Hopefully burn in will tighten up the bass.Like them a lot more then D2000s.

Jun 24, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #85 of 87
I use the Denon AH-D1001 with a Neco amp (see Ebay for details of this excellent amp) and the Behringer USB DAC. I have also used them straight out of my PC headphone socket (to Neco amp), and also my iphone dock (agan to Neco amp). Each time the sound is different. The point I would like to make is that the sound is different in each of these cases so the partnering equipment has a significant impact on the quality of the sound.

I feel that the Denon's are designed to produces a sound that is very engaging when used un-amped, however, the level of transparency and quality of the sound-stage is significantly improved when amped. This, to me is an indication of just how good the Denon's actually are. However, this quality will logically compromise the sound when used with an amp and with better quality DACs.

I am personally looking to audition a pair of AKG K-702's for use at home while enjoying what the Denons have to offer in environments where a closed back design is necessary.

Jul 28, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #86 of 87
Let me just chime in by saying these cans are very very good. I never expected a headphone at this price to blow me away. I like them much more than the d2ks

Sep 7, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #87 of 87
I agree, these are excellent headphones by any standard. Very musical, a quick yet relaxed character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back