Denon AH-D1001 review
Jul 2, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #62 of 87
Hi all,

A few questions on this headphone for you all:
1) The review over on HeadRoom says "The isolation factor is decent but will not completely attenuate all ambient noise due to the smaller earpad sizing and the loose comfy fit. Still, the D1001 does provide respectable "leakage" protection from the earcups to the outside world, important if listening in very quiet settings where you don't want to disturb your neighbor." I was wondering what everyone's thoughts on this quote were because I am considering these headphones now. I would be using these in a work environment during the day so I didn't know if these actually do prevent sound from leaking out. I don't care about sound leaking in, more about sound leaking out to my work neighbors.
2) The HeadRoom review also suggests this headphone sounds best with an amp. Meanwhile, in the buyer's guide on this forum the rating suggests it doesn't need an amp, and people in this thread seem to report satisfactory sound without an amp. Would I really need an amp if I got these phones?
3) How does the sound of this headphone compare/contrast to Sennheisers around this price point? That is, would you say Denons are more/less detailed than the Senns, that are frequently described as "dark" headphones?

My uses for headphones would be at work listening at lower volumes- definitely don't rock out- and taking them on the road with me. I don't mind the larger size, so portability in a headphone isn't a #1 concern. I just don't want to get these phones if they are a more difficult load to drive than what I've read.

If anyone has insight on these two questions I would appreciate it. I listen to 80% rock/metal/grunge and 20% classical/jazz. I was considering Grado at first but since they are open and leak sound they won't be an option for the work environment.

Thanks in advance for your assistance in narrowing down my list of potential headphones.

Jul 2, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #63 of 87
I had Senn HD580's prior and like the D1001 better due to the low end. They aren't as open as the Senns though. I think they sound good without an amp.

Jul 2, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #64 of 87
D1001 definitely do not need an amp.
They do leak slightly if you listen at high volumes.

The D1001 are definitely more detailed than any Senn you are going to be able to drive without an amp.

Sep 4, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #66 of 87
@thrand1

1. The HeadRoom statements are off. The D1001 / Creative Aurvana Live! are relatively poor at blocking external noise and are pretty good at keeping sound from leaking. Just what you want.

2. If pluggin into a PC or DAP, you do won't need an amp to enjoy the D1001. However, it also is very likely is true that the D1001 sounds best with an amp. It may even sound better if modded and/or re-cabled.

3. Exactly which closed Sennheiser model are you asking about?

You have nothing to be concerned about. The D1001 will work just fine.

Sep 15, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #68 of 87
The Denon AH-D1001 is manufactured in China (I still have my original packaging). This does not really speak to the question of quality, reliability, etc. Quite a few high end European, Japanese and American High End manufacturers engineer in their own country and leave the production to Chinese factories. It's hard to find hardly any mainstrean audio/video products that are not manufactured in China.

Oct 29, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #70 of 87
I am debating whether to go with a DENON AH D 2000 or the 1001K.
I do not have any intentions to get an 'AMP' this for mostly listening from my laptop at work so which one do you suggest . I am on a tight budget so unless there is a significant difference between the headphones would love to go with the cheaper.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Oct 29, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #71 of 87
The 1001k's will be good enough for what you are wanting to do. Nothing wrong at all with keeping it simple. They will sound fine and you will save yourself some money. I use them daily at work and am very happy with them.

Nov 1, 2009 at 7:38 AM Post #73 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrand1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2) The HeadRoom review also suggests this headphone sounds best with an amp. Meanwhile, in the buyer's guide on this forum the rating suggests it doesn't need an amp, and people in this thread seem to report satisfactory sound without an amp. Would I really need an amp if I got these phones?
3) How does the sound of this headphone compare/contrast to Sennheisers around this price point? That is, would you say Denons are more/less detailed than the Senns, that are frequently described as "dark" headphones?

@thrand1:

As for your second question, the denons won't necessarily need an amp (provided your source and music are clean sounding and of a high bitrate), though they do benefit from one.

As for the third question, I originally started this thread over a year ago, and about a couple of months ago my pair of Denon D1001's failed (I believe it was an error on my part that caused the Denons to fail (I accidentally set the gain of one channel higher than the other on my Meier Corda Move and turned up the volume which fried the voice coil on one of the drivers). Anyway, I ended up purchasing a (closed) Sennheiser HD448 to replace them after a pair of HD238's didn't quite work out for me, and I can say that the HD448 is definitely more detailed than the D1001, and possesses somewhat improved soundstage width and depth, but it doesn't have the amount of bass that the D1001 has. The HD438 is the model of Sennheisers in that price range that is similar to the HD448, but exhibits bass response more like the D1001. The Sennheisers are a bit harder to drive than the Denons. But as you have said that you don't listen to loud listening levels, as long as your source is clean you shouldn't have a problem driving them unamped, though they significantly improve with a headphone amp. Oh, and the other thing about the Sennheiser HD448 especially is that it doesn't sound like a typical sennheiser (in that the highs are crisp and clear, not veiled and dark, and the midrange is very clear and crisp as well, and the bass is lean and taut, not boomy and slow). The HD438 should exhibit similar characteristics, but with a more bass-oriented balance than the HD448. All three are good headphones, it mainly comes down to personal listening preferences and the quality of the music you are playing on them. For high quality, non distorted files, the Sennheiser's will be a good choice, but if you need less detail and more forgiving sound quality while still sounding clear, then the Denon would be a better choice. Good Luck.

--Eric

Jan 3, 2010 at 8:11 AM Post #74 of 87
hi, i just bought a pair of d1001s and ive broken them in.. lets say about 20 hours or so... the mids are quite repressed in my opinion. the trebles and bass have settled.
i was wondering how you broke in your headphones.
ive been using pink noise in hour intervals with 15 min break looping on my ipod classic.
and, when did your mids start settling?
any information would be appreciated.

Jan 3, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #75 of 87
I just played loud music... i had them for 2 months but i found that the bass was weak. After breaking them in for a week-end they had much better bass impact. I don't remember any improvement in the mids but maybe they improved too during the first 2 months. Don't expect magical mids IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back