Denon AH-C710 Review Thread
Mar 1, 2010 at 2:48 AM Post #301 of 325
^ wow! great iem and HP you got there! ^__^

also got my c710 yesterday. i love it!

denon.jpg

May 29, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #302 of 325
3 year long c700 user here! I was using Sony EX tips.
The jack-end of the my cable seemed to have got disconnected inside, so the right earphone went out and so it was time to get a new pair.

Now I decided to try out the c710. I paid about $140 for them, which might have been a bit too much I suppose.

I will definitely need to be patient with these and give them time to burn in I think. At first I put the Sony EX tips on them, and they fit much better than the stock Denon tips of course. Out of the box, the sound on these is really quite harsh compared to the warmness of the c700s.

I put on the supplied Comply tips while these burn in. It seems to have really helped with the harshness and warmed these up nicely till they're all burnt in, I hope!!

Also, what's up with the cable? The cables on the c700 were PERFECT. I wish they had the option of having a longer cable instead of defaulting to the c751 style. The c710 cable is wayyy too short, and the extension is wayyy too long. AND it's too thin. The c700 cable was super thick and felt so much more durable. The material was also nicer.  All in all the c700s were of a much higher build quality than these c710s.

Jun 1, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #303 of 325
I have an issue with my C710's. I'm not sure if it's universal or if I got a bad set, but the treble is way too harsh. It stings my ears when I listen to certain songs, especially rock or metal, my primary genres. People said it goes away or lessens with burn-in, but I've used them for almost a year now (and I use them a lot) and it has yet to go away. Anyone know what the deal is with this?

Jun 5, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #304 of 325
Yikes! Red Comet! Take care of your ears!
It sounds like you might be damaging your hearing, if they are stinging your ears, and you've been listening to them often for a year! Be careful.

The problem could be that you don't have the right seal. Did you try all the tip sizes? They came with a pair of comply foam tips. These have helped ease the treble/mid harshness that these phones have out of the box for me. Maybe you could give them a try? Also, I've found the Denon tips supplied are actually pretty brutal and not of the best quality. It's probably been said a million times in this thread but try some Sony EX tips if you prefer rubber tips.

If this isn't the case, you might want to just try a warmer set of phones.

On another note, I am finding these to be kind of muddied on the mid/higher end. They sound GREAT with songs that have isolated mids and highs, but when there are songs with lots going on in that area, everything kind of just blurs together... Is anyone else finding this?

Also, the cord on these is really getting to me. They are constantly tangled/twisted. Way too short...

At this point I still prefer the c700s. They were so much more precise.

Jun 5, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #305 of 325
Haha, I didn't mean literally stinging like that, it's just that the highs were unpleasantly sharp sounding. I appreciate the concern though! I've tried different tips and it didn't seem to change that at all, unfortunately. Maybe my ears are just untrained but I didn't notice much difference in the sound after changing tips. Iono, I figured if the highs really were that piercing, people wouldn't be reviewing them so highly... but the reviews are generally pretty positive. 

I do hate how short they are. They won't reach any pants pockets of mine, so I need either to hold it, or use the extension chord, which in turn is way, way too long.

Jun 7, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #306 of 325
I have received mine about 1.5 month ago. Burnin really shines these.

I bought it from e-bay. The seller put a buy-it now price for 43 USD. I have jumped to the deal and bought it (including shipping they cost only 59 USD for me). I beleive most of the sellers on e-bay just try them out of the box ( without waiting for the burnin process) and pack it again, because they dont get what they expect from an earphone costing more than 100USD. But if they read enough from the internet they could have noticed that these babies needs at least 150 hours of burnin before they start to surprise and shine!!! 

I still found the bass too strong for my tastes so I keep the bass boost to the level of 2/10 (also tereble eq is 2/3 on my Meizu Music Card player). They are powerfull earphones and needs some control :))  But the detail, general sound quality, bass, tereble, soundstage, all amazes me!

Especially soundstage is sometimes close to a full size headphone (They dont give me an ine-ear phone feeling).Some music albums I play gave me the feeling that the sounds are coming out of the range where the earphone actually rests :) They need a less microphonic and longer (also thicker, stronger) cable. Only downside for me...

Thanks to all reviewers... A great buy for me :)

Now I have eyes on the UE Triple-Fi 10 Pro. Not sure what I am going to gain? Just watching for a price drop...

Jun 7, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #307 of 325
@Red Comet:

How's your EQ? I've noticed that a lot of dynamics that are tuned for treble tune hot. I've seen it in my Turbines, my MTPG, and my FX700. I guess they're trying to avoid something plain and dull and dead-sounding. (C751)

If you have the ability (Rockbox?) try some cuts of a few dB in the 5-10kHz area. That's where I find most of the heat, especially at 7kHz and up.

Jun 12, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #308 of 325
Wow, these burnt in pretty nicely I think. What a difference since when I got these! Much more separation and clarity. Pretty amazing how things have changed!

That being said... the CORDS are the TOTAL downside to these, they tangle all the time! The c700/c751 cords were so amazing... never ever tangled.

Does anyone have recommendations to prevent tangling of cords??

Jun 12, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #309 of 325
Also, I should note, that these seem to work really well with only certain source gear.

They really bring out the flaws of the iPhone's DAC. And they are really hard to listen to on the iPod Touch 2G. Even by connecting them to the line-out directly while either of these are on the dock, things clear up nice (lacking depth of course).

They sound GREAT on my Macbook Pro 15" (early 2010), but only OK on my Macbook Pro 17" (early 2007).

I am thinking of getting a little amp for my bedside that I can plug my dock into... not sure which one to go for though!

Sep 27, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #313 of 325
Got the C710s two weeks ago. And I'm happy with them so far. They were an impressive contrast to my PX100-II which carries the dark Senn house sound. Hoping to hear the changes as I go beyond the 150 hour mark.
ksc75smile.gif
  For something so small sounding big, they are definitely worth the SGD170 I paid for them. (rubbish cable is the only letdown)

Nov 4, 2010 at 8:15 AM Post #314 of 325
Just got mine and I love them. They are great right out of the box, apart from the supplied buds which are crap. Use Sony's instead. They will show up problems upstream in the chain, low res files and poor equipment. I suspect they sound aggressive to some people because of this but it is a case of garbage in = garbage out and no amount of burn in will solve problems with your music player or files...

What do I like best? It's got to be the BASS man, it is awsome and very well resolved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back