Denon AH-A100 Headphones: Reviews/Impressions
Nov 4, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #46 of 171

Quote:
That's a bit disappointing ajreynol, reading your thoughts . I felt A100s seem to have a bit higher resolution compared to the D5000 on that particular day. Did you give them sufficient run time on your head? Well, I liked them straight after first listen though. Possibly I need to give these a proper audition. I am looking forward to your in-depth findings and got to wait until I get mine. 

Yes, you said the following: "100s blow 5000s in every possible aspect, everything sounds amazing through 100s compared to 5000s"

That was a HUGE statement compared to "a bit higher resolution" don't you think? The more i read these forums the more i find it completely impossible to form an opinion because the reviews seem to be split right in the middle between good & bad. There is an "overwhelmingly" positive review for every negative one.

So far, i appreciate the effort ajreynol has put in to disect the differences between these headphones. Between his extensive approach to evaluating the differences and having all 4 Denons in his possession, ajreynol probably has the most credibility at this point.

Nov 4, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #47 of 171
I did try it today for a short amount of time in a hifi-store.
Man i like it, it was surprising light headphone and really easy driven.
Played from my sony x1050 without amp, i did only had to put volum up to 18/30 just 2 more then my Monster turbine pro gold.(ps i dont think my mp3 has a volum cap).
Denon ah-a100 is so comfortable i didn`t felt it was even on almost:).
SQ was better then my MTPG but i will be careful with  statement unto i tryed it more.

Nov 4, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #48 of 171
Hi!

Got mine today from "hifiklubben". Im new to this site,and also i dont have much experience with headphones.To now i own AKG 26P ( broken
frown.gif
  ),koss porta pro,shure se530 IEM,Ultrasone trackmaster HFI 650,and now Denon AH-A100.... Bought also a Argon A1 headphoneamp with my denons 
smily_headphones1.gif

Im testing the headphones out with my laptop wich have an creative xfi soundcard and connected to a cambridge dac unit and then to the A1 amp.Im testing music on "spotify".Mp3 quality.Not the best i guess :p My ultrasone 650 are from 2003-2004 i think,but cant say that i
got WOW factor when i heard the A100 after i heard a bit on my ultrasone.But im no expert.And im looking forward to testing my ultrasones again after hearing a little bit more on the denons.I hope then i will really tell different in the headphones soundquality.

Ps:Sorry for bad english.LOL.....
wink.gif

Nov 4, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #51 of 171

Quote:
Yes, you said the following: "100s blow 5000s in every possible aspect, everything sounds amazing through 100s compared to 5000s"

That was a HUGE statement compared to "a bit higher resolution" don't you think? The more i read these forums the more i find it completely impossible to form an opinion because the reviews seem to be split right in the middle between good & bad. There is an "overwhelmingly" positive review for every negative one.

So far, i appreciate the effort ajreynol has put in to disect the differences between these headphones. Between his extensive approach to evaluating the differences and having all 4 Denons in his possession, ajreynol probably has the most credibility at this point.

Hey vlach, at this point in comparison a bit of higher resolution is sort of beating the other contender in competition. My findings were true when I did that audition with the respective sources and I am not changing my views until I've heard my pair which is still in Canada. I shall do the full review by comparing these to my beloved 840s. My 840s are certainly a step ahead of D1100s and D2000s for sure and many would agree that. So it should be quite a good fight for A100s. But on that day I felt A100s resolution was much more refined compared to the 840s. And in addition I felt the D5000s to be a bit laid back with recessed mids.

Nov 4, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #53 of 171

Quote:

Hey vlach, at this point in comparison a bit of higher resolution is sort of beating the other contender in competition. My findings were true when I did that audition with the respective sources and I am not changing my views until I've heard my pair which is still in Canada. I shall do the full review by comparing these to my beloved 840s. My 840s are certainly a step ahead of D1100s and D2000s for sure and many would agree that. So it should be quite a good fight for A100s. But on that day I felt A100s resolution was much more refined compared to the 840s.

I guess we have fundamental differences if you feel the 840s are a step ahead of the D2000s. I don't even know how to adequately respond to that statement...so i will just politely say that i learned a lot from you.

Nov 4, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #54 of 171

Quote:

I guess we have fundamental differences if you feel the 840s are a step ahead of the D2000s. I don't even know how to adequately respond to that statement...so i will just politely say that i learned a lot from you.

Perhaps you're right. We've got completely different set of ears mate. I prefer neutrality to other signatures.

Nov 4, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #55 of 171
WOW,what happened??? After listening to my ultrasones,and then going back to the Denon AH-A100 it was a real different.My ultrasones are old,so its maybe wrong to compare them to the A100s,but its the only headphones i have from before.And it is also the headphones (sound) im used to.

When i shifted to the denons,the sound was a real stepp up from my HFI650.It was like going from low-fi to "high-end" (at least quality hi-fi) 
wink.gif
Of course,the soundstage isnt the biggest,but man what a warm and detailed sound.My ultrasones now sounds borring,flat,cold,low-fi,crap or whatever u would call it.I cant belive i liked this before.. LOL :p

I also tried the A100 on my pioneer lx81 reciever and played a bluray music ( bruce spingsteen and the seger session band ) in 2,0 PCM.And what an amazing sound.HD quality right to your brain
biggrin.gif

I asked a worker at hifiklubben today about burn-in,and he said they should have about 20 hours of burn-in.... He also said he prefered the A100 over the D2000,because the A100 had a better midrange
smily_headphones1.gif

So far,so good.I am really pleasent with the A100s,and looking forward to hear them after the burn in time are complete
biggrin.gif

Once again,sorry for bad english :p

Nov 5, 2010 at 9:43 AM Post #56 of 171
I probably won't have time to do a review, alot of midterms coming up next week and the week after =(, but I got them yesterday.  Biggest thing i noticed was how small they were compared to the D7000's, i posted a pic in the picture album thread.  From a trance listener's perspective, these will be my permanent portable headphone set.  There is hardly any sound bleed.  My friend who was sitting across from me studying didn't hear my music at all.  They also block out noise alot better than the D7000.  However they do fit kind of tight on my head.  My ears started sweating after about a hour, something that never happened with the D7000's. 

Nov 5, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #57 of 171
Quote:
well gentlemen.  I have good news and I have bad news.

The good news is that the headphones are here and work properly.

The bad news is that I am disappointed.

I will say more tomorrow, and probably make a D1100 vs. A100 thread since it only makes sense to compare the portable cans to each other.

For those wondering about sound quality among the Denons:

[size=13pt]D7000 > D5000 > > D2000 > > > A100 > D1100[/size]

of course, only the A100 and D1100 are portable, so buy based on your expected needs.

Would love to hear your expanded thoughts on the A100s.  I've got no use for portable cans that cost $500, but I was interested in them for home listening as an alternative to the D5000/7000.  I know it's only been a day or two, but has your opinion on their sound changed at all?

Nov 5, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #60 of 171
I wouldn't take a $500 headphone on the road (portable). That's just me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back