Denon AH-A100 Headphones: Reviews/Impressions
Oct 20, 2010 at 10:21 AM Post #16 of 171
Were it so easy.  I don't know if auditioning in the traditional sense (finding a local retailer with them in stock) will be an option, though. 

I suspect I'll have to buy them and have them mailed to me from somewhere and do a direct comparison from there.  which, of course, sucks when I all want to do is compare them.  oh well.

Oct 20, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #17 of 171

Quote:
Were it so easy.  I don't know if auditioning in the traditional sense (finding a local retailer with them in stock) will be an option, though. 

I suspect I'll have to buy them and have them mailed to me from somewhere and do a direct comparison from there.  which, of course, sucks when I all want to do is compare them.  oh well.

Crutchfield has a 60 day trial period no restock if you want to they look like 1100 with wood cups

Oct 20, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #18 of 171
If my memory serves perfectly, I didn't have such an experience when I auditioned ED-9 straight out of iPod. Because a lot of people said they like their ED-9s even straight out of a DAP's headphone out. I really would like to compare these to ED-8s though. But ED-8s are three times the price. I have almost finalised my purchase of A100s. 

Oct 20, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #19 of 171
How do these compare to your SRH840s?

Oct 20, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #20 of 171
I would say 100s are more refined in comparison in all categories. But 840s aren't expensive and they are still bang for the buck compared to each and every other headphones I've come across so far.

Oct 20, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #21 of 171

Quote:
Crutchfield has a 60 day trial period no restock if you want to they look like 1100 with wood cups

I'll probably do that.  only problem is that I'll only have a few days to compare them, as my D5000's would have to go back by the 10th of October.  So IF they do launch on November 1...after shipping time...it'll be close.  Maybe I can get J&R to extend that grace period a few extra days.  I'll ask them.

Oct 29, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #22 of 171
my A100's have shipped.
biggrin.gif

looks like I'll have all 4 cans before I send any of them back.  that's gonna be a lot of Denon in my house. 

D5000, D2000, D1100, A100. 

Nov 1, 2010 at 4:42 AM Post #24 of 171

Quote:
my A100's have shipped.
biggrin.gif

looks like I'll have all 4 cans before I send any of them back.  that's gonna be a lot of Denon in my house. 

D5000, D2000, D1100, A100. 

Thats excellent. I'm really curious what you think of the A100 vs. D1100. They look so similar to the d1100, making me think that the only difference is the wooden cups. I hope that not then case; the OP's impression of the A100 blew the D5000 out of the water. I want to know if the hype is true. I think you're the only member here that is going to have all 4 denons and after reading your previous review, I think your findings are similar to mine. 

Nov 1, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #26 of 171
My UPS update says they will arrive tomorrow.  FYI.

Nov 1, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #27 of 171
Nov 2, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #29 of 171
Early Japanese Reviewers have written the following:

1 early reviewer wrote:  http://ayuchin.blog11.fc2.com/blog-entry-1186.html
The earpads are very comfortable and better than D1100.  The headphone is much lighter than expected and faked me out, because the box was so heavy. 
Upon first hearing it with minimal break-in, the tonal balance seems to be very similar to D1100 with the same kind of warm bass frequency.  Not a significant jump from D1100 so far.  Though the A100 does seem to have slightly more clarity than the D1100.  In terms of soundstage, the A100 is very good and you can hear the position of the orchestral instruments very well.  Instrument separation is very clear, but not necessarily mind-blowing.  The sound signature itself is very gentle and not very forward or harsh.  It doesn't have the airy and clean feel of open headphones but that is to be expected.  The A100 has very strong bass, but it's coming from deep within the headphones and doesn't get in the way of the mids which are very vibrant.  After listening to the A100 for 3 hours, I went back to the D1100 and found the D1100 to be lacking the lushness, clarity and instrument separation and sounding dry.

2nd early reviewer/test report: http://www.phileweb.com/ec/index.php?p=24010
They sound very lush and warm but well balanced.  Very deep and powerful bass with vibrant mids.  Soundstage is very good and the ear pads are amazing.  The headband is the same as the D1100 but the overall headphone is very light and I like it.  The bass drum has very big impact, but it's not loose and doesn't muddle the other frequencies.  The highs and cymbal crashes sound very good and spread around the headphones very naturally.  It doesn't sound harsh at all but is still very powerful and is well balanced. Female vocals sound very supple yet gentle and sound like you can feel it in your bones. Acapellas are very clear and engulfing and you can hear the voice separations very well.  Hendrix guitar sounds are abundant but not overpowering or stiff...it just sounds natural with musical saturation.  Bass doesn't sound linear, but instead is very smooth with supple grooviness.  Great looks, quality and sound!

Hope these help!

Nov 2, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #30 of 171

Users who are viewing this thread

Back