Denon AH-7200
Apr 20, 2024 at 7:23 PM Post #3,152 of 3,166
Yes, but still if you try some proper desktop amps you will notice a difference. I have tried various amps on them but still the PMA-800 is my favourite. Not only it adds extra body to it but it also has this unique distortion that is very addicted. I am planning to get some vintage amplifier those also have such characteristics, its hard to describe you need to hear that. But overall the D7200 is easy to drive and sounds really good on portable devices too. If you ever get a chance to pair them with some bigger amps try and share with us your results in here. Enjoy!
Are you using denon with latest drivers?

Apr 20, 2024 at 7:50 PM Post #3,153 of 3,166
Are you using denon with latest drivers?

Yes, I posted about it multiple times in this thread, I think they replaced them because the original ones were failing.

Apr 20, 2024 at 7:59 PM Post #3,155 of 3,166
Which one you liked more? In short words
I dont want to find your previous comments😬

The new ones have better resolution... prefer these D7200 over D9200 not sure if those drivers are the same... possibly.

May 9, 2024 at 8:47 PM Post #3,157 of 3,166
Hi, has anyone purchased brand new 7200’s from ebay? I can see them listed as low as $600 from Japanese eBay sellers with good feedback’s. This is about $350 lesser than Amazon US. I am curious about this big price difference? Are there replicas of 7200 ?

May 11, 2024 at 5:23 PM Post #3,159 of 3,166
Chinese headphone drivers were the topic of a recent discussion in this thread. Recently, the left driver in my Denon 5000 failed. I began visiting audio stores and listening to headphones to find a replacement.

As a fan of the Denon sound style, I first listened to 5200, 7200, and 9200, of which 7200 was the most interesting for me (at least playing from store’s stack). I started studying this topic that way.

Also, I got the speakers mentioned by Zolkis at Aliexpress in a gold-colored aluminum case.

Upon installing these Ali drivers into denon5k cups, I can tell that they outperform the stock Foster ones by far in every possible way. Their FR is more even and their soundstage is better - wider and deeper, with better separation and layering. At the same time, they have more controlled and textured bass with good extension, more details and more textures overall. They sound perhaps slightly less punchy, but still have very good dynamic in a more relaxed way.

I'm not sure if it's good or bad, they don't have some light sweet coloration of denon5k stock drivers.

Their sound quality is quite impressive to me. I got the 32 Ohm version and both of them have 32,15 Ohm on my multimeter.

My plan is to acquire 7200, and if I'm not completely satisfied, I may install double magnet drivers from AliExpress.

The 9200 was rather strange to me compared to 7200, with harsh trebles and a somehow strained - every sound piece sounding more focused with smaller size or/and length. Maybe due to the source in the store - Gustard a26/h26 combo.

I was also surprised by the sound of Focal Clear Pro, which I didn't understand. The main impression - they just dump everything into one intense, unintelligible pile.

Attachments

• Untitled-4.jpg
    Untitled-4.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #3,160 of 3,166
Chinese headphone drivers were the topic of a recent discussion in this thread. Recently, the left driver in my Denon 5000 failed. I began visiting audio stores and listening to headphones to find a replacement.

As a fan of the Denon sound style, I first listened to 5200, 7200, and 9200, of which the 7200 was the most interesting for me (at least playing from store’s stack). I started studying this topic that way.

Also, I got the speakers mentioned by Zolkis at Aliexpress in a gold-colored aluminum case.

Upon installing these Ali drivers, I can tell that they outperform the stock Foster ones in every possible way. Their FR is more even and their soundstage is better - wider and deeper, with better separation and layering. At the same time, have more controlled and textured bass with good extension, and more textures overall. They sound perhaps very slightly less dynamic, but at the same time much more relaxed.

I'm not sure if it's good or bad, they don't have some light sweet coloration of standard drivers.

Their sound quality is quite impressive to me. I bought the 32 Ohm version and both of them have 32,15 Ohm on my multimeter.

My plan is to acquire 7200, and if I'm not completely satisfied, I may install double magnet drivers from AliExpress.

The 9200 was rather strange to me compared to the 7200, with a harsh treble and a somehow strained - every sound piece sounding more focused with smaller size or/and length. Maybe due to the source in the store - Gustard a26/h26 combo.

I was also surprised by the sound of the Focal Clear Pro, which I did not understand. The main impression - they just dump everything into one intense, unintelligible pile. Also, I played the random track I came across, Rene Aubry’s Dare Dard. In the first 5–10 seconds, there is like a rattle sound in the background. Clear Pro began to stutter and instead of the rattle sound, they just produced a series of stuttering clicks.
Would love a comparison between d7200 vs these Chinese drivers

May 11, 2024 at 5:44 PM Post #3,161 of 3,166

As a fan of the Denon sound style, I first listened to the 5200, 7200, and 9200, of which the 7200 was the most interesting for me (at least playing from store’s stack). I started studying this topic that way.

Also, I got the speakers mentioned by Zolkis at Aliexpress in a gold-colored aluminum case and was hoping to revive the Denon 5k.

Upon installing these Ali drivers, I can tell that they outperform the stock Foster ones in every possible way. Their FR is more even and their soundstage is better - wider and deeper, with better separation and layering. At the same time, have more controlled and textured bass with good extension, and more textures overall. They sound perhaps very slightly less dynamic, but at the same time much more relaxed.

I'm not sure if it's good or bad, they don't have some light sweet coloration of standard drivers.

Their sound quality is quite impressive to me. I bought the 32 Ohm version and both of them have 32,15 Ohm on my multimeter.

The 9200 was rather strange to me compared to the 7200, with a harsh treble and a somehow strained - every sound piece sounding more focused with smaller size or/and length. Maybe due to the source in the store - Gustard a26/h26 combo.

I was also surprised by the sound of the Focal Clear Pro, which I did not understand. The main impression - they just dump everything into one intense, unintelligible pile. Also, I played the random track I came across, Rene Aubry’s Dare Dard. In the first 5–10 seconds, there is like a rattle sound in the background. Clear Pro began to stutter and instead of the rattle sound, they just produced a series of stuttering clicks.

Good luck with that driver replacement. I had chance to hear few more expensive headhones (inc. D9200) and was not impressed. The D7200 have a special place in my collection. If you go for the D7200 purchase make sure their manufacturing year is 2021+ because of the new upgraded drivers.. They just sound superior (I had chance to compare old vs new ones). I have also learnt that part of their amazing sound is coming from my Denon amp which adds some amazing distortion to them that is special and very addictive.

They sound very good out of box. If you add some custom cable, good amp perhaps a bit of EQ and you have end game sound for a fraction of those crazy expensive sets.

May 13, 2024 at 1:33 PM Post #3,162 of 3,166
Would love a comparison between d7200 vs these Chinese drivers
After a short comparison in the store, I can tell that these Chinese drivers (at least in the 5000 cups) are far behind the 7200 in terms of refinement, buttery smoothness, punch and god-level bass.
The perception of Chinese drivers is better than 7200 in the soundstage's free space, which is not as full of LF. Especially in genres that require more air.
But for me the Audeze LCD-X, which I briefly listened to today, is not as good as these Chinese drivers. The sound is harsh, and textures are blurred. Perhaps it's just because of my personal preferences.
Listening to track 747 from Tenet OST today made me captivated by 7200. After that, I couldn't find any headphones that came even close to the emotional impact of 7200 from this track. In comparison, all of them appear to be anemic.
The 7200 have roughly the same levels of perceived imbalance and fun, but with a higher concentration of fun.

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #3,163 of 3,166
May 13, 2024 at 2:22 PM Post #3,164 of 3,166
After a short comparison in the store, I can tell that these Chinese drivers (at least in the 5000 cups) are far behind the 7200 in terms of refinement, buttery smoothness and god-level bass.
The perception of Chinese drivers is better than that of 7200 in the soundstage free space, which is not as full of LF. Especially in genres that require more air.
But for me the Audeze LCD-X, which I briefly listened to today, is not as good as these Chinese drivers. The sound is harsh, and the timbres are almost absent. Perhaps it's just because of my personal preferences.
Listening to track 747 from Tenet OST today made me captivated by 7200. After that, I couldn't find any headphones that came even close to the emotional impact of 7200 from this track. In comparison, all of them appear to be anemic.
I evaluate today based on my emotions, not technical analysis. Probably spring is influencing.
The 7200 have roughly the same levels of perceived imbalance and fun, but with a higher concentration of fun.
Have you also listened to 9200 at store? Maybe they also have updated the 9200 drivers

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back