Denon AH-7200
Feb 22, 2024 at 2:45 PM Post #3,121 of 3,155
Feb 22, 2024 at 5:58 PM Post #3,122 of 3,155
Because I owned and tested them. You can test too, various ways. I use both a ferrocell and, more simply, a compass, which is actually very sensitive to magnetic fields.
For instance it can be affected up to about 1.5ft feet away from a driver, but a Focal headphones (I had the Utopia) can affect it almost 4ft away(!).
Very interesting this ferrocell. You can actually see the electromagnetic fields.

I'll look into it, thanks for the insight.

Mar 16, 2024 at 2:42 PM Post #3,124 of 3,155
Just replaced the earpads on my 7000s with new sheepskin ones and they look and sound great.

I have a replacement headband, but I can't for the life of me get these two screws off on either side, left or right. They are so tight and soft and I'm afraid of stripping them...

Any suggestions?

IMG_4307 - Copy.jpg

Mar 16, 2024 at 3:13 PM Post #3,125 of 3,155
Just replaced the earpads on my 7000s with new sheepskin ones and they look and sound great.

I have a replacement headband, but I can't for the life of me get these two screws off on either side, left or right. They are so tight and soft and I'm afraid of stripping them...

Any suggestions?

IMG_4307 - Copy.jpg
Try heating it up with a hair dryer.

Mar 16, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #3,126 of 3,155

Any suggestions?

You can cover the tip of the screwdriver with electric tape, this should give you the grip needed.

For such critical screws, we used to take diamond paste, which acts like an interlock between the screwdriver and the head of the screw.
Maybe something like hand wash paste made with walnut shell will do the trick too.

Or a thin rubber band between the head and the screwdriver.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 2:24 AM Post #3,127 of 3,155
Ultra disappointed: my 7200 lasted 11 months. Last night, first some sound dropouts in the right channel. Then it died completely. Probably the coil died.

Luckily, it's still under warranty, but it certainly is disappointing after the 7000 had lasted 14 years!

Mar 19, 2024 at 9:47 AM Post #3,128 of 3,155
Ultra disappointed: my 7200 lasted 11 months. Last night, first some sound dropouts in the right channel. Then it died completely. Probably the coil died.

Luckily, it's still under warranty, but it certainly is disappointing after the 7000 had lasted 14 years!
Mine right driver was damaged in a day lol
I also had some sound dropouts first

Mar 19, 2024 at 9:54 AM Post #3,129 of 3,155
Not very promising... So, for these days I have reverted to the 7000 (which I had restored with my hands by replacing the drivers). VERY different sound signature, when one is used to the 7200! Much less clarity and precision!

Are there reports of the 9200 having so many "driver deaths" as the 7200? Or is it reported to be more durable?

Mar 19, 2024 at 10:08 AM Post #3,130 of 3,155
Not very promising... So, for these days I have reverted to the 7000 (which I had restored with my hands by replacing the drivers). VERY different sound signature, when one is used to the 7200! Much less clarity and precision!

Are there reports of the 9200 having so many "driver deaths" as the 7200? Or is it reported to be more durable?
I have not seen someone reporting for d9200 but people say the treble of d9200 is very hot if you’re used to d7200 and also the bass of d9200 is very low in quantity then d7200

Mar 20, 2024 at 5:30 AM Post #3,131 of 3,155

Sorry for that... I think the D7200 driver failures are statistically pretty low, but when they happen, get a lot of attention and valid criticism (sampling bias).
Good it's under warranty.

I have not seen someone reporting for d9200 but people say the treble of d9200 is very hot if you’re used to d7200 and also the bass of d9200 is very low in quantity then d7200

It's not that hot and depends on personal tolerances, but the bass is far-far better than on the D7200, a lot more musical information, with better sub-bass, and less 40-60 Hz bump. It's still a bassy headphone, but quite linear.
IMHO the biggest dividing factor is the treble, and it is a consequence of the stronger, 1.5T magnetic field, just like with the TH900 drivers, since the drivers likely work closer to saturation (which would happen at a theoretical limit around 2T). They made the compromise on the hotter treble for having better resolution overall, and likely considering the compromise is bearable for a significant amount of people from their targeted market.
The good news is that using good copper cables the treble is calmer enough to fall below (at least my) annoyance threshold.
Applying coating on the drivers would have been another solution, but because the very low mass, it has to be very-very thin, far thinner than on tweeters. It would raise the price considerably.

If you want to play safe, the [newer] D7200 still seem to be the best choice.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2024 at 12:55 PM Post #3,132 of 3,155
Yes, as soon as Amazon refunds me the faulty ones I have just returned, I will order a new one.

In the meantime, I am re-enjoying my old (but with new drivers) AH-D7000. Less detailed, less punch, but still a lovely headphone.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2024 at 1:16 PM Post #3,133 of 3,155
Yes, as soon as Amazon refunds me the faulty ones I have just returned, I will order a new one.

In the meantime, I am re-enjoying my old (but with new drivers) AH-D7000. Less detailed, less punch, but still a lovely headphone.

Indeed, the D7000 very good sounding hp especially considering its age. With a bit of EQ they can be pretty detailed too. Their buttery soft sound is pure addiction.
On the other side D7200 is great evolution of these classics and yes, it is superior in almost all aspects. There were multiple driver failures reported even in this thread on D7200 and I think this is why Denon is secretely replacing the D7200's drivers. As discussed and researched here in last few pages it looks like the new drivers are on the units dated from 2022. The new drivers are better sounding I had chance to compare them directly with older drivers the sound is noticeably better. I actually prefered its sound over D9200. Manufacturing date is on the box together with serial number.

Mar 20, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #3,134 of 3,155
The one that failed on me so soon was bought in April 2023... But I can't check production date, since I have already returned it to Amazon...

About the 7000... I also loved that it was SO easy to put back to life after 14 years: new drivers, new grey foam rings, new cushions. It took me less than an hour, in spite of my clumsiness with a soldering iron.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #3,135 of 3,155
Sorry for that... I think the D7200 driver failures are statistically pretty low, but when they happen, get a lot of attention and valid criticism (sampling bias).
Good it's under warranty.

It's not that hot and depends on personal tolerances, but the bass is far-far better than on the D7200, a lot more musical information, with better sub-bass, and less 40-60 Hz bump. It's still a bassy headphone, but quite linear.
IMHO the biggest dividing factor is the treble, and it is a consequence of the stronger, 1.5T magnetic field, just like with the TH900 drivers, since the drivers likely work closer to saturation (which would happen at a theoretical limit around 2T). They made the compromise on the hotter treble for having better resolution overall, and likely considering the compromise is bearable for a significant amount of people from their targeted market.
The good news is that using good copper cables the treble is calmer enough to fall below (at least my) annoyance threshold.
Applying coating on the drivers would have been another solution, but because the very low mass, it has to be very-very thin, far thinner than on tweeters. It would raise the price considerably.

If you want to play safe, the [newer] D7200 still seem to be the best choice.
I have an "old" D7200 with your STAX mode (pads). How do you find this one vs "new" D7200? Another question, Is the Stax mode on the "new" one better than stax mode on the "old" one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back